Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: water supply and wells  (Read 2828 times)

Gerry LaVallee

• FSP Participant
  • Hunting, camping, or both.......too many choices
water supply and wells
« on: February 28, 2004, 06:35:44 pm »

We are considering a more rural setting in the area north of Newport, how is the water supply over the long haul?
Has there been drought periods?

thanks,
gerrbear
I work, because millions on welfare depend on me.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
Re:water supply and wells
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 09:07:09 pm »

Nothing that anyone in the rest of the country would actually consider a drought.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

Pawlno1

• Wher were you in seventy-two
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 07:04:11 am »

most people have their own wells unless you belong to the Eastman Communitee or are in the town of Newport itself

shallow dug wells can do well.  We had one that worked for years (first year had lowest ground water since the drought in the 50's) then two new houses went in and I was dry in the summer

had to have a drilled well put in

Paul

Sons of Liberty

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 04:10:06 pm »

I have a drilled well and have had no issues.  The water tastes great and I never had an issue in the so-called draught conditions in the summertime.  

Just a note that during these draughts, the wetlands on my land were, well...  wet!  I'm no geologist, but I assume that gravity eventually gets this water down a few hundred feet to where my well is.  

Good luck!

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 11:58:02 pm »

I talked in the last day with both my brother, Dave, and LPNH chair John Babiarz, who have dealt with wells.

John has a dug well at his place in Grafton. It did not go dry through the three year 'drought' we had in the late 90's, though some of his neighbors dug wells did. Artesian wells do not generally go dry. Artesians can be drilled from 100-1000 ft depths. In the Free Town of Grafton, John says 100 foot artesians are common in Grafton. Costs of artesians are as follows:

drilling through dirt and till: $9/foot for casing + $9/foot for drilling
drilling through bedrock: $9/foot

These costs are starting to inch up toward $10 in some areas. Getting a dowser also helps.

Dave says in other areas of the state he's worked in, you can typically find sufficient water between 300-500 feet in many areas, though not everywhere. At Tenny Mountain, when he and I were working on the development there, they drilled 900 feet and were only getting a gallon a minute out of it. At 950 feet they started getting 450 gallons/minute, unpumped.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

Gerry LaVallee

• FSP Participant
  • Hunting, camping, or both.......too many choices
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 07:08:49 pm »

Thanks for the input

gerrbear
I work, because millions on welfare depend on me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up