Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Grafton  (Read 13741 times)

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
Re:Grafton
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2004, 06:38:26 pm »

For some dumb reason I multiplied 300 by 6 instead of 12.

That's okay, Tracy. We all make mistakes.

See, the reason I don't care as much about the higher incomes (And hence, percieved by YesToAmerica as freaking out :) )is that currently, I live largely off residual income from a Network marketing business that I'm in now.

Humm.

I could perhaps purchase a quarter of an acre or something for cheep, and then higher contractors to build an underground house for me, perhaps. I think decent sized ones can be built for around $40,000 (Assuming I buy the labor and don't do it myself). That could get me into a decent sized house, for about the same price I'm paying now.

How much does an acre sell for in Grafton typically? If it's less then $20,000, it would be comprable (20+40=60).

Depending on location, of course, and services, you could pay anywhere from $1,000 up to 15,000 per acre. If you buy into the Free Town Land Development, you will likely have a raw land cost of somewhere around $1,500-2,000 per acre, maybe $3k-8k if we have to add septic, water, and/or electricity. Depends on what the final design is.

How high is the water table in Grafton? Is it low enough to make an underground house possible or practical?

This absolutely depends on location. John Babiarz lives down in the valley and has a 42' dug well that doesn't go dry. If you want to build an underground house, you are going to want to find a hillside site with plenty of till and not a lot of ledge.

Alternatively, you could choose to occupy a mine tunnel (if we bought the land around Ruggles Mine, there are some mine tunnels on this property which would be useful for vault type applications)

P.S. You said Grafton already has cable internet, or fiber optic, or DSL  internet services of some kind?

Oh, Mike, how would one go about purchasing membership in that land trust if I'm not even there? (Assuming that's even an option for me.)  TS

No, Grantham (two towns over, which is where I live) has cable internet. In Grafton, there are two T1 lines in town to individuals, one an ISP with dial-up service (John Babiarz is one of them). There is one fellow planning to build wireless internet service across town.

Anybody can purchase a seat in the land trust when we are set up and ready to accept funds officially, doesn't matter where you are.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 06:39:17 pm by Mike Lorrey »
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2004, 06:54:38 pm »

Alternatively, you could choose to occupy a mine tunnel (if we bought the land around Ruggles Mine, there are some mine tunnels on this property which would be useful for vault type applications)

That sounds intreging.

Tracy
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2004, 12:59:51 pm »

WOW!!! The pictures of those houses are rather disappointing. If that is all you get for that much money.................

Why are you disappointed?  Where are you from?  It takes about $125,000 to $150,000 (min.) to live in a safe area that has good schools near Memphis.  I'm talking a 3 bedroom house.  Memphis is thought of as one of the least expensive large MSAs in the country.  Pay in NH is high compared to cost of living.

However, that Grafton house was more expensive than the average Grafton house.  Here is what the government records show:

http://www.nhes.state.nh.us/elmi/htmlprofiles/grafton.html
HOUSING
2001 Total Housing Units 708

2001 Single-Family Units 534
Building Permits Issued 5
2001 Multi-Family Units 37
Building Permits Issued 0
2001 Manufactured Housing Units 137

2000 Census Housing Costs  
Median Value, Owner-Occupied Housing $81,300
Median Gross Rent (monthly) $500

Grafton is a nice, unexpensive rural area.  Portsmouth, on the other hand, tends to act like a 'burb of Boston in some ways.  It is also on the ocean and next to several beaches.

http://www.nhes.state.nh.us/elmi/htmlprofiles/portsmouth.html
2001 Total Housing Units 10,254  

2001 Single-Family Units 4,746  
Building Permits Issued 27
2001 Multi-Family Units 5,229  
Building Permits Issued 3
2001 Manufactured Housing Units 279

2000 Census Housing Costs  
Median Value, Owner-Occupied Housing $168,600
Median Gross Rent (monthly) $727

Memphis is a stand out in TN. Your best beat is the Chattanooga to Knoxville area, Nashville area or Tri cities. In  the Athens area between Chattanooga and Knoxville  160,000 could get you 10 to 20 acres with a 3  bedroom house 2 baths , probally a full basement, Garage and probally a few out buildings. You could probally get the above with at least 2 to 5 acres around Lenior City( outside Knoxville) or Ooltewah( outside Chattanooga).

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2004, 01:25:34 pm »

$33/$1000 is like Three times more then we pay here in SD.

Plus the living expenses are higher there too.

I'd really like to move to the Free Town, but it seems like housing is much more expensive.

I do realize the no sales tax. I wonder how much I pay a year in Sale Tax.  Our food budget is around $300/month so about $1,800/year.  Our sales tax is only 5-6% so I pay aproxemately $90-$108 a year in sales tax.

:-(

BTW, your numbers are off by a factor of 2x.  So South Dakota has tax on food?  But no income tax.

(Don't ever move to New York!  It's income tax is even MORE complicated than the Fed's!  And NYC has its own progressive income tax--they are truly insane down there!  :-\)

Our  state sales tax is 7%, 6% on food, my county adds 2%, some surrounding counties add as much as 2.75%. On automobiles and boats it is 7% for the first 1,600 dollars and 2% over that. I also think there is a limit on other big ticket items. I may spend 10,000  a year on sales tax  items probally less, so probally 900 dollars at most, that's about 3% of my income. My counties property tax is low and my home and 4 acres is valued at around 19,000, so I  was paying less than 100 dollars  in property tax, my parents with property valued around 65,000 pays around 200 to 250 maybe less. So over all I guess I spend around 4% of my income on state and  local taxes. Even if I made 60,000 a year instead of 30,000 and with a property worth 150,000 I still would probally only pay 4 to 5% of my income in state and local taxes.

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2004, 01:37:29 pm »

Tracy is also wrong as to the rate. The rate in Grafton is about $21/thousand.

So about 2.1% and if his income is the same he will get at least a 20% reduction.                                              
          Why in the hell does governments do the 21 dollars per thousand or in my state it would be 2.10 per hundred dollars of assesed value and ass. value is 25% of appraised value. Why not just say 2.1% or in the case of my state .525%. I guess in the case of assement its because commercial pay a higher assement rate but it seems they still could just give a percentage for commercial.

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2004, 01:45:27 pm »

$41/month to live in Grafton.

You know what I just realized? Car Insurence in New Hampshire is about half what it is here in SD (Because it's not so regulated.)  That would cut my $900/6= $150/month in half.  

That's where I can get the money for the hightend tax and cost of living burden.

I think if I look at the lower regulation in NH I'll find that many other basic things might be cheeper (Medical care, and Medical insurence?). (SD, is quickly becoming a fascist hyperregulatory state)

Starting to feel better.

Tracy
Tracy if your income is going to be about the same ( I think you said it in another post) you probally can get a 20% reduction in your property tax, maybe 40%. If you and your wife make less than 25,000 a year total you will get 100% of the  property tax back. less than 40,000 and you will get 20%.

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2004, 06:15:45 pm »

Oh.

So (assuming my business doesn't get bigger -- in which case if it did it wouldn't matter because I could afford it) I'd have an additional 20% reduction.

That sounds doable.

Tracy
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

freedomroad

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2004, 11:28:19 pm »

Tracy if your income is going to be about the same ( I think you said it in another post) you probally can get a 20% reduction in your property tax, maybe 40%. If you and your wife make less than 25,000 a year total you will get 100% of the  property tax back. less than 40,000 and you will get 20%.

Do you mean a 20% reduction in his NH state property tax (a chuck of the overall property tax) or a 20% reduction in his overall property tax (doesn't sound realistic) ?

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2004, 01:49:20 am »

Do you mean a 20% reduction in his NH state property tax (a chuck of the overall property tax) or a 20% reduction in his overall property tax (doesn't sound realistic) ?
Sorry I meant the state property tax. I don't know what I was thinking of I guess a state property tax doesn't click in my mind. So at 1/2%  a 20% reduction would save you 100 dollars on a 100,000 dollar home.

Top Dollar

• I took the red pill.
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2004, 11:34:49 am »

Does anyone know what happened to the Free Town research report or where to find it?  I'm sure I saw it on the FSP website, but I can't seem to find it.
Hey, Wow!  Your planet is bright!

U.S. Constitution Text:  http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.text.html
U.S. Founding Documents:  http://www.constitution.org/cs_found.htm

Karl

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2004, 11:44:24 am »

Top Dollar

• I took the red pill.
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2004, 12:38:11 pm »

Thanks.  There is some nice cheap land near Grafton, I wanted to check the other towns mentioned in the report but couldn't remember them.

U.S. Constitution Text:  http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.text.html

Top Dollar

• I took the red pill.
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2004, 04:00:34 pm »

Nope, that isn't it. The proper yahoo group is FTP_Biz. This is the yahoo group of the Free Town Land Development Group we are forming. The other list is for blow hards who like to talk.

Is anyone checking the FTP_Biz membership requests?  Mine has been pending for almost a week now.

Pawlno1

• Wher were you in seventy-two
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2004, 06:27:44 am »

lowest price for a rental in Grafton I've seen is $750 for a trailer.  Haven't heard of a home under 100K

Grafton is in Grafton county but county government in this part of the woulr is not strong.  Dictates of the state passed down to cities and towns.

Possibility of eradicating tax?? some county tax (old folks home, prison and sheirff)

Education state property tax plus local.  Would have to get out of SAU still have to pay for education of those up to 16 I beleive (it maybe 18) and special education.

code in town without its own inspector can be through the state fire marshall.  Recentlly had a customer denied occupancy permit because flooring wasnt finished.  Electrician wouldn't hang light ficture for fear flooring installers would damage light.  Without light they couldn't get permit.

Wouldn't dare to guess how much it would cost you to live in Grafton

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2004, 10:49:54 am »

$33/$1000 is like Three times more then we pay here in SD.

Plus the living expenses are higher there too.

I'd really like to move to the Free Town, but it seems like housing is much more expensive.

I do realize the no sales tax. I wonder how much I pay a year in Sale Tax.  Our food budget is around $300/month so about $1,800/year.  Our sales tax is only 5-6% so I pay aproxemately $90-$108 a year in sales tax.

:-(

BTW, your numbers are off by a factor of 2x.  So South Dakota has tax on food?  But no income tax.

(Don't ever move to New York!  It's income tax is even MORE complicated than the Fed's!  And NYC has its own progressive income tax--they are truly insane down there!  :-\)

Our  state sales tax is 7%, 6% on food, my county adds 2%, some surrounding counties add as much as 2.75%. On automobiles and boats it is 7% for the first 1,600 dollars and 2% over that. I also think there is a limit on other big ticket items. I may spend 10,000  a year on sales tax  items probally less, so probally 900 dollars at most, that's about 3% of my income. My counties property tax is low and my home and 4 acres is valued at around 19,000, so I  was paying less than 100 dollars  in property tax, my parents with property valued around 65,000 pays around 200 to 250 maybe less. So over all I guess I spend around 4% of my income on state and  local taxes. Even if I made 60,000 a year instead of 30,000 and with a property worth 150,000 I still would probally only pay 4 to 5% of my income in state and local taxes.

Did  I say you should have to pay to send other people's kids to school?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up