Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this idea really plausible?  (Read 3251 times)

MattyDubbya

• I'm a llama!
Is this idea really plausible?
« on: February 17, 2004, 08:29:53 pm »

Excuse me for asking or not thoroughly reading the site, but do you all really think that the FSP could actually work?  I highly doubt it, but I'd love to be convinced otherwise!

dlenmn

• FSP Participant
    • me blog
Re:Is this idea really plausible?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 08:51:41 pm »

It really depends on what u mean by work. First off will 20,000 people join? To me the curve looks more logistic than exponential right now (but i haven't crunched any numbers, I just eyeballed it), and that seems bad because to me the carrying capacity looks to be much less than 20,000. But, assuming 20,000 people join, will they take over a state? No, 567,000 votes were cast in the 2000 election 20/(567+20) is 3.4% which is not nearly enough to control. The theory is that the 20,000 people would be vocal (which is a safe assumption as people willing to change states are probably also willing to give time and effort to a project). In addition, NH is already fairly Libertarian and has many independent voters. Maybe each FSP member could attract several votes from non members. If every member could get at least 2 votes the FSP would be a force already. So, i think the FSP can have effect but it probably wont dominate, which wasn't the idea to start off with.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 09:05:54 pm by dlenmn »
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

TANSTAAFL

crmallon

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 10:58:04 am »

I think it has as good a chance of making a real difference as anything. The thing is, even after people move, it takes time to change the way things are done, to change how people think about things... But I, for one, and very excited to be apart of it. :)

Matthewislee

• I'm not a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 09:53:10 pm »

the idea itself is quite plausible. while the free state project is nonpartisan, many of it's members are Libertarians. Modern Libertarianism and the FSP share many similar ideas. chances are if there is a greater saturation of Libertarians and FSP members in New Hampshire, more votes will be cast. now, i'm not speaking specifically about presidential elections, but about local, state elections where we can vote for state representatives.
Pages: [1]   Go Up