Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opt Outs  (Read 2262 times)

pstudier

• LibertarianWiki.org
Opt Outs
« on: July 06, 2003, 04:45:26 pm »

Will the number of opt outs for each state be available before the vote?  If, for example, 50% of the people have opted out of Alaska, this would be important to know.  Has this already been discussed?
Paul Studier <Studier2@PleaseNoSpamToPaulStudier.com>
http://LibertarianWiki.org, The Libertarian Activist's Encyclopedia

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re:Opt Outs
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2003, 04:58:07 pm »

No, this information won't be released, because it could encite people to vote or sign up strategically.  Also, 42% of members have opted out of no states, so as you see, no state really has an obscene # of opt-outs. ;)
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2003, 05:16:26 pm »

I can't help but read between the lines...  If 42% have opted out of *no* states, that means 58% have opted out of at least one state.  I'm just take a wild stab in the dark here, but I'm thinking the overwhelming majority of people that opted out of at *least* one state, opted out of Alaska.  Even if it's only 1/2, that leaves more than a quarter, maybe pushing 1500 out of the original 5000... Hummm...

Wonder how many opted out of Idaho (or New Hampshire, for that matter) v.s. Wyoming...... Hummmm...

But I'm just guessing and we won't know until it's all over huh?

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.

s_layne

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2003, 05:50:48 pm »

It is fairly irrelevant.  Just because people opted out of states does not mean they won't move there, they simply reserve the right not to move there if they so choose.  My guess is that most people who have signed up will move to whichever state is selected, even if they had originally opted out of it.  Additionally, many people have changed their minds about their opt-outs since more reports on the various states have become available.  I think we need to vote based upon which state would be the best for the FSP in the end, and not play a guessing game about opt-outs.

robmayn

• Freedom Rising!
    • Citizens For Property Rights
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2003, 06:24:19 pm »

It is fairly irrelevant.  Just because people opted out of states does not mean they won't move there, they simply reserve the right not to move there if they so choose.  My guess is that most people who have signed up will move to whichever state is selected, even if they had originally opted out of it.  
In my case, I opted out of every state except Vermont because I do not know when I will be free to move.   I got laid off from my job as a Product Engineer at IBM in
November 2001 and bought my own computer sales and service company in March
2002.  The computer industry is in its worst slump ever, but I see an up
cycle on the horizon.  Untill then, I am in survival mode and have not taken
a paycheck in about a year and a half.  Eventually, I hope to have the
company going strong enough so that I can oversee things from a distance
through VPN and maybe stop by once or twice a week. (If New Hampshire is chosen) If I was to move to Alaska or
Wyoming, I would probably sell.  In either case, it will be a while before I
am in a position to move.
Pages: [1]   Go Up