• I'm a llama!
land
« on: October 14, 2002, 08:54:10 am »

Land is cheaper in Maine.  There are more houses for  sale

Mark Alexander

• Professional geek, amateur pianist
Re:Vacancies (land & homes) in the candidate states
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2002, 06:09:16 pm »

As others have written in other discussion threads, anti-growth and anti-development sentiment is becoming more prevalent in VT, NH, DE, and the fastest growing parts of other states (even western states!).

Yes, and the anti-growth forces seem to have the perverse effect of forcing the locals out of the housing market.  The county I live in has the dubious distinction of being the least affordable housing market in the country, by one measure of affordability at any rate.  The article below suggests that our no-growth policy has meant that only wealthy outsiders can afford to buy houses here now:
http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archive/2002/January/17/local/stories/03local.htm

It's certainly going to force me out.  I have abandoned the idea of building my small house here; now I'm looking at the Sierra Nevada or possibly even other states  -- New Hampshire, here I come  ;) .

Robert H.

• Jeffersonian
    • Devolution USA
Re:Vacancies (land & homes) in the candidate states
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2002, 01:32:11 am »

Several of the candidate states and especially some counties therein have lost population and thus have vacancies available -- land, homes, and even an international airport -- all waiting for people and businesses to move in.

Looks like a mass exodus from Maine and North Dakota.  That major military base closing in northern Maine (1994) probably accounts for a lot of Maine's numbers.  As for North Dakota though, maybe the poor economy is just finally driving people off in search of opportunity.

It would definitely make sense for the FSP to import jobs (we're obviously going to need some ourselves, for one reason), and it would be good to see some discussion on start-up opportunities.  Maybe we could chart what sort of businesses are needed in those dried-up areas, and then try to target our efforts accordingly.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2002, 05:42:19 am by Robert Hawes »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything