Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re:How would you vote if we voted today?  (Read 4398 times)

Robert H.

• Jeffersonian
    • Devolution USA
Re:How would you vote if we voted today?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2003, 08:13:35 pm »

As I said before, I love the natural beauty and solitude of the western states.  If the choice was to move there as an individual, to "get away from it all", it would be a no-brainer.  As for building a free state, WAY to much federal control and potential backlash from the worldwide environmental movement if they thought that their control over the federally owned land was about to be challanged.

There is undoubtedly more federal control of lands in the west (except for areas in the east around Washington), and most of this is due to the way that the west was settled.  The eastern states were already free, sovereign, and independent when the federal government came into being, thus it was unable to grab up their land.  The western states, being settled as territories under the management of Congress, were a different matter.

However, resistance to federal land control is growing in the west, and, I might add, there are signs that it is succeeding.  Alaska, the most controversial environmental management state of all, has been winning disputes with the feds recently in regard to land management and ownership.  Montana has recently passed a law that forbids the sale of state land to the federal government, a measure they enacted as a direct result of confrontations with the BLM.  Wyoming has thumbed its nose at the feds (and even at Idaho and Montana) in regard to the Yellowstone wolf issue (and it seems that Wyoming will get its way).  The WYGOP even included a plank in their platform in regard to federal lands in Wyoming being turned back over to the state.

The western states are still large enough that they have plenty of land available for settlement aside from the federal-owned portions, so, in the meantime, this issue will not severely restrict us.  I also see this issue as a good rallying point for us as there is much popular support for it in these states, a fact that could make this issue not only a good rallying point in each state, but also a good means of beginning to build regional solidarity between the western states.

The recent Montana law against future sales of land to the federal government would be a good place to start in getting a hand on this issue at the individual state level.  If Wyoming or Idaho were chosen, we would probably want to emulate the Montana example here.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up