Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: NH State of the State Address, Jan. 29, 2004, by Governor Benson  (Read 13417 times)

thegotoguy

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
Re:NH State of the State Address, Jan. 29, 2004, by Governor Benson
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2004, 11:40:25 pm »

Perhaps this is the sort of thing we could bring up in private meetings between our leadership and the governor, but NEVER in public.

I agree with Dada 100%.

It's not worth ripping him a new arsehole publicly because we disagree on 1 or 2 issues.  Certainly the media would jump all over FSP members protesting outside the governor's office and stuff like that.

We currently have enough clout that we will have the governor's ear once a few thousand of us move there.  Let's not f*ck it up.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 11:41:53 pm by thegotoguy »

Morpheus

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2004, 06:15:27 pm »

New Mexico-style Drug Reform" sounds a lot less leftist than "marijuana legalization".

Was this a proposal for drug legalization, in essence?

Morpheus

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2004, 06:28:58 pm »

On the other hand picking a fight with our most valuable ally because he's off track on one out of ten issues ...that smaks of Losertarianism.

Yea. Can't let principles get in the way.

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2004, 08:02:16 pm »

Morpheous, while I agree with you, we also don't want some spend-thrift liberal. We have to be a little pragmatic

Old-School conservatives are very much our allies.

Instead of berating him, perhaps we can try and convince him, and get him to see the error of his ways in this particular instance.

Somebody needs to try and publish a paper about all the tax dollars that would be saved if we released all the non-violent drug offenders -- and then make sure we get the tax cuts to go with it so private institutions and charities can crop up to try and help addicts that need it.

Also document the health and medicinal benifits that some of these drugs have.

And then the moral case about the right for one to make his own medical (and recreational? maybe) decisions. How government shouldn't legislate morality. (If "The MAN" can steal your drugs, it can steal my Bible.) That sort of thing.

Perhaps then follow up with a piece about why government shouldn't even be involved in medicine.

OK, I just wrote an outline for a large position paper. Maybe somebody with the knowledge and resources can follow it up.

New Mexico-style Drug Reform

I'd like to know what this essentially was too, Morpheous. If it was "partial" or quasi-legalization, sometimes I think sometimes that can do more harm then good.

Tracy
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

Morpheus

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2004, 08:07:06 pm »

If you're talking about the Conservatism to which Barry Goldwater adhered, then I would agree.

BillG

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2004, 08:15:11 pm »

I am afraid he is a libertarian on economic issues and a bit of a moralist on social issues...not enough "social" datapoints to judge yet though.

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2004, 08:31:02 pm »

If you're talking about the Conservatism to which Barry Goldwater adhered, then I would agree.

Yeah, except Goldwater was pro-war. (He talked about taking nukes to Russia. If he hadn't talked about that I think voters would have voted for him.) And maybe we'd have a conservative government.

I was thinking more about the Foundation for Economic Education (It was considered conservative and was attacked by FDR's administration for both it's anti-war and anti-welfare views. The only reason its considered libertarian now is because "conservatives" have moved so far left.), and The John Birtch Society (Ditto about FDR), Both are anti-war, anti-welfare, anti-taxes, pro-civil liberties (Bill of rights), anti-drug war, anti-regulation, etc.

Anyway, I think Benson is one of these older-style conservatives. I just wish he'd stand up to Bush more.

Tracy Saboe
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2004, 10:20:05 am »

It legalized possession of up to three oz of marijuana.  While this is not outright legalization it is a good step toward harm reduction and it sets the stage for the next step.

New Mexico-style Drug Reform" sounds a lot less leftist than "marijuana legalization".

Was this a proposal for drug legalization, in essence?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 10:22:21 am by rdeacon »

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2004, 10:20:59 am »

Are we really doing our principles justice when we shoot ourselves in the foot in their name?

On the other hand picking a fight with our most valuable ally because he's off track on one out of ten issues ...that smaks of Losertarianism.

Yea. Can't let principles get in the way.

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2004, 10:28:59 am »

The reform NM gov Gary Johnson put forth was no chance of jail, and only a maximum of a $100 fine for possesion of out to 5 oz of pot, and he trained police to HELP overdose addicts of harder drugs, rather than just arrest them....

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up