Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Live in NH - Work in MA = Taxes?  (Read 13440 times)

Synap

Live in NH - Work in MA = Taxes?
« on: January 29, 2004, 01:05:00 pm »

So I may have a job opportunity in Mass coming up.  I was hoping for a NH job, so I may hold out a little longer.

But for those who know, what's it like paying non-resident taxes in Mass?  Does it suck, or does it suck only because NH has no income tax?  My wife and I are very curious how much MA taxes and NH property taxes will erode my income.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
Re:Live in NH - Work in MA = Taxes?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 09:05:25 pm »

You can take comfort in the fact that there are MA towns with property tax rates to rival NH's.

But if you work in MA and live in NH, be prepared for taxation without representation.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 10:39:20 am »

One possibility:
Some Massachusetts companies who have lots of NH employees will set up an office and bank account in NH, and pay those employees through that office, thus avoiding state income taxes. When I worked for a software company in VT, this is what they did (the owners were NH residents as well) and it saved me lots of money.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 04:23:52 pm »

But if those employees physically work in Taxachusetts, they still owe MA non-resident income taxes.  Pro-rated to the portion of time they were actually performing duties within the commonwealth if they're only coming into the state some of the time.  To pay them out of a NH office while they worked in MA is tax fraud, and the MA Department of Revenue has been going around auditing companies to boost receipts.  You don't want to be the company they catch doing something like that.

NHNative

• 2nd Amendment & Outdoor Sporting God
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 11:23:44 am »

You have to file an NR-1 form with the Communist State of Taxachusetts.  They're going to whap you for 5.85% last I worked in that foreign country.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 07:13:15 pm »

It's down to 5.3% nowadays.
Pages: [1]   Go Up