Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So much for ...  (Read 1920 times)

Justin

• FSP Participant
  • So... these are going to be my neighbors?!
So much for ...
« on: January 29, 2004, 10:55:08 am »

...decreasing reliance on the Federal government teat.  >:(

From the Berlin Daily Sun
BERLIN— The city has succeeded in its effort to land a federal prison.
U.S. Senator Judd Gregg's office yesterday said the senator on Friday "will make a major announcement about the future of a federal prison being located in Berlin".
An advisory issued by his office said the $154.5 million project would be the second largest public works project in the state's history, topped only by the Seabrook power plant. The advisory said it will "produce a huge economic benefit for the communities of the North Country and will result in many new jobs for the region".
Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. - Diderot

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
Re:So much for ...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 08:29:13 pm »

Well, another way to look at it is: when NH unilaterally ends the drug war and the feds put us under seige, the prisons are gonna make really nice fortresses for the stealth bombers to target.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 06:46:51 am »

Rather odd to put a huge prison in the middle of nowhere. One would think they would locate it near population centers. Hmmm.. I wonder if it will be serviced by a railroad line.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 09:07:58 am »

No, no railroad. The prison goes there because Berlin is the most depressed area of the state and they'll take whatever jobs they are given. They already have the county prison, and a state prison, so its getting to be a local industry there.
Besides, you'd have to keep me in a cell to make me live in the stink...
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time
Pages: [1]   Go Up