Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vehicle Registration in NH ?  (Read 14081 times)

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
Re:City Vehicle registration?
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2004, 02:39:52 pm »

I guess I just don't understand why I would pay the city when I had already paid the state for the same thing.

This is actually a good argument, saying since the city is merely an incorporated subsidiary of the state (you may want to bring along a copy of state law that illustrates this), this is double taxation.

As it happens though, while the state owns the city, they are their own corporate entities. One fee covers driving on state roads, the other fee covers driving on city roads (and keeping your car in the city, being qualified to get access to the city dump system, etc. etc. etc).

However, you get your plate and your tags from the city, not the state. At the state you are filing your vehicle title and paying the filing fee for that.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

lloydbob1

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2004, 05:10:51 pm »

What I need to know is when I move to NH in the spring with my 13 year old van, what will I have to expect in way of inspections, fees and the like to get my truck registered?
LLoyd

freedomroad

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2004, 11:09:39 pm »

Local registration is with the city or town clerk. Even if you are not in the city limits, you are in the township, or some township. They issue the tags and the plate (and registration renewal).
Then you have your inspection. $15 with any garage that is a state inspection station.

So, I would have to register my car with a city, pay massive amounts instead of the $40-$100 that is common in TN, have my car inspected, and pay for the inspection.  There is a lot of stuff that needs to change.  Surely we can get rid of the inspection, at the least.

I never really thought about it, but since almost all of NH is some type of town or township...  I've always tried to either live in the county or a very small town near a large city.  Freedom is usually much greater in the county.  It seems that NH does not work like that.  Oh well, you can't have everything or anything close to it.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2004, 11:11:57 pm »

All told, I paid $35 last year. Big whoopie doo. Plust $15 for the inspection.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 11:12:16 pm by Mike Lorrey »
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

Dalamar49

• FSP Participant
  • I smoked out the sheriff and his deputy! : )
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2004, 12:45:45 am »

50 smackers a year then? Hmm, better than I got it now, but not by much. Hopefully we can somehow at least combine the licensing process so you don't have to go to the city and state for registration.

Let's make it a "one stop shop" deal. Maybe we can even get local mechanics to collect the tax for each government body so you only have to head to the mechanic once a year instead of driving all over for each license.
Get up, stand up, stand up for your right. Don't give up the fight.

Jhogun

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2004, 07:52:55 am »

50 smackers a year then? Hmm, better than I got it now, but not by much. Hopefully we can somehow at least combine the licensing process so you don't have to go to the city and state for registration.

Hopefully we can eventually end mandatory vehicle registration (at least by the government) as a prerequisite for the "privilege" of driving our cars.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 07:53:31 am by Jhogun »
Diligentia Vis Celeritas

FSPTalker

• FSP Member
  • FSP Participant
  • Home at last!!!
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2004, 02:28:21 pm »

My wife I just went through the process this past week. Although the process was pricier than I would have hoped for, in practice I have no objection to user's fees. If I used alternative transportation and didn't use the roads I wouldn't have to pay any of these fees.
In contrast to the half-dozen other states where I have owned and operated a vehicle, I found the NH experience to be quick and efficient.
There is no try. Do or do not-YODA

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2004, 09:49:51 pm »

Hopefully we can privatise the road systems eventually, so we can completely shut down the DMV, Drivers licenses, inspections, Title and registration taxes, etc.
Tracy
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

DustinD

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a Porcupine!
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2004, 11:50:12 am »

We can and should end vehicle inspections asap. It is easy low hanging fruit, and a waste of our tax dollars.

slye15

• FSP Participant
  • "It only takes a small leak to sink a large boat."
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2004, 09:33:03 pm »

This is a bit off the topic, but since I won't be moving to New Hampshire for a few years (still in college); would it be possible for me to buy a vehicle in NH and register it there without being a resident?  This way I could avoid sales tax (unless there is a special car sales tax that I am unaware of) both in NY and NH.
If I were to registar it in NY and buy it in another state I would have to pay NY sales tax on it.

Any advice?  Thanks.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up