Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Vehicle Registration in NH ?  (Read 14089 times)

sopwith21

• FSP Participant
  • FSP member
Re:Vehicle Registration in NH ?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2003, 06:11:59 pm »

I'm in favor of repealing inspection laws also.

I just don't see how they are morally wrong.

Tracy

You ride a tricycle. The spokes are too thin to suit me and in my opinion you may someday crash because of it. I make a rule that says anyone who doesn't have spokes just like mine must pay me money and they can't ride their tricycle anymore. Failure to do this will result in armed men coming to your door to threaten you into compliance or kidnap and imprison you. If you attempt to defend yourself you'll be attacked and possibly killed, even though you have committed no crime or violence against anyone, you just want to be left alone to ride your tricycle.

I believe this is morally indefensible and that free people have the right to make unwise decisions so long as they do not injure anyone or harm another's property.

I would suggest that using the threat of violence against one who has committed no criminal act against anyone else is always wrong.

I also like tricycles.  ;)

DustinD

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a Porcupine!
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2003, 09:54:36 pm »

The peoples republic of Minnesota does not have inspections or emissions and we get by just fine, so far no roving death traps. ::)

These inspections serve no purpose, if you violate a serious vehicle code law the police will pull you over and tell you about it, no tickets or anything, and this is Minnesota, how can NH be so much less free. ???

sopwith21

• FSP Participant
  • FSP member
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2003, 10:37:15 pm »

The peoples republic of Minnesota does not have inspections or emissions and we get by just fine, so far no roving death traps.

Exactly. In Indiana we have no inspection laws, and contrary to the hysterical panic propogated by inspection proponents, we don't have cars falling apart in the middle of the roadway and slaughtering millions.

Oddly enough, we get by just fine. But then, if people aren't scared half out of their wits, they'd never go for such idiotic laws in the first place.

Irrational fear is a wonderful political tool.

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2003, 12:00:45 am »

I guess I'm not thinking about all that.

To me the reason for a private road to do an inspection would be to make sure your car doesn't undully rip up their road, or something, and then if it does, they would charge you higher fees to be on it.

(Like, I don't know, if you're vehicle is tremendously more heavy per tire, or if your tires have wicked studs on them, etc.)

I agree, government has no business trying to protect us from ourselves, and for the most part private road owners wouldn't either. But they do have an interest in protecting their own property (the road you're driving over.)

Tracy Saboe
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

thegotoguy

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2003, 11:47:25 am »

I'm not sure, but last I heard Florida doesn't have mandatory auto inspection, either.  They might have changed it, I don't know.

sopwith21

• FSP Participant
  • FSP member
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2003, 02:49:11 pm »

To me the reason for a private road to do an inspection would be to make sure your car doesn't undully rip up their road, or something, and then if it does, they would charge you higher fees to be on it.

Ah! A PRIVATE road owner! I absolutely agree. The private property owner can do anything he or she wants on their own land, and can make any demands of drivers that they see fit. I understand your point now and couldn't agree more.

My persuasive attempts above refer only to government owned roads and government mandated inspections backed by government force.

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2003, 04:58:49 pm »

But see, that's why I'm saying that if Government owned the road, they should be allowed to do simular things, or not let you on the road.

See, these are all inherent problems with things being owned collectivly by "the people" in the form of government.

In the mean time, I will support measures to get rid of vehicle inspections, Registration fees, license fees, and everything else. In my mind, the reason it's immoral, is because government doesn't actually use that money for road maintanece, but instead squanders it on pork.

Tracy
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

sopwith21

• FSP Participant
  • FSP member
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2003, 10:34:39 pm »

If an individual owns the road and you don't like the rules, you can leave, find a different road or build your own, and no one gets violent with anyone else.

If the government "owns" all the roads (and the federal gov't has no lawful authority to do so), you have no where else to go, and they will most certainly find you, steal your money or attack and imprison you.

The difference between individual property rights and a group of people controlling your ability to travel on land that you are forced to pay for and threatening you with violence if your behavior doesn't please them is monumental.

Jhogun

City Vehicle registration?
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2004, 10:03:51 am »

From the Concord website:

"Registration Process Summary
The registration process has two steps. First, one must pay fees at the City of Concord – One’s place of residence or where the vehicle is housed. Second, fees are paid to the State of New Hampshire – Department of Safety – Division of Motor Vehicle.
What do I need to bring to the City to register a vehicle I just purchased?  

For vehicles with a model year of 1989 or newer you will need ONE of the following:
A.   An original Certificate of Origin signed over on the back to the new owner,
B.   An original Certificate of Title signed over on the back to the new owner.
C.   A light blue copy of the Certificate of Title Application (CTA) provided by the dealer.  
D.   If you are transferring NH plates from a vehicle you are taking off the road, a prior registration may not be necessary if you previously registered with the City of Concord.
For vehicles with a model year of 1988 or older you will need a bill of sale from the seller to the buyer, signed by the seller, and one of the following documents:
A.   The prior owner's previously issued NH registration.  
B.   A valid out of state title.
C.    A verification of VIN (Form 19A) completed by the appropriate agency - law enforcement officer, NH State Inspection station, or NH dealer.
What is the City Fee?  The city permit fee is based on RSA 261:153. The fee is based upon:
1.   the makers’ model year for 1996 and newer; for model year 1995 and prior the fee is based upon the manufactured year.  For a new registration, the model or manufacture year determines what millage rate (18, 15, 12, 9, 6, or 3 dollars per $1,000 of value of the list price) is utilized.
2.   the manufacturer’s list price before options
3.   the owner’s date of birth.  
If registered in 2002, a model year of  2002 and 2003 utilize the 18 millage rate. For example, a vehicle with a maker’s list price of $20,000 will be $360 (20,000 times 1.8% or $18 per 1,000 of list price) for 12 months. The owner’s date of birth determines when the registration will expire. The registration is prorated from month of registration to the expiration month. This period will be calculated for no less than 5 months or greater than 16 months"

Is this for real? You need the city's permission to own a car up there? I saw similar things on other city websites. Is this common practice up there? What a load of crap! We have some dumb city ordinances down here, but nothing like this.
Diligentia Vis Celeritas

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
Re:City Vehicle registration?
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2004, 11:41:00 am »

Yup. Go to the City Clerk's office and pay your fee, then off to the state DMV to pay your other fee. It really only takes like 5 mins or so in each place.

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

Ogre11

• FSP Participant
  • Ok, I'm in. Ready to move yet?
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2004, 12:16:35 pm »

From the Concord website:
Is this for real? You need the city's permission to own a car up there? I saw similar things on other city websites. Is this common practice up there? What a load of crap! We have some dumb city ordinances down here, but nothing like this.

Now read very carefully.  This HOW to register.  It does not say WHO registers.  No, you do not need the state's permission to OWN a car.  However, you do need the city and state's permission to OPERATE a vehicle on the roads. :)

Jhogun

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2004, 01:37:54 pm »

But it's only if you live in the city limits, right? So I can get out of it by living outside the city?

I assume they still charge a tax on gasoline which covers the same roads, right? So they hit you twice?
Diligentia Vis Celeritas

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2004, 01:51:36 pm »

Local registration is with the city or town clerk. Even if you are not in the city limits, you are in the township, or some township. They issue the tags and the plate (and registration renewal).
Then you have your inspection. $15 with any garage that is a state inspection station.

NOTE: "Operating" a vehicle is a term of art for engaging in the transport of passengers or goods for hire, fare, or contract in commerce (note, this reg uses a rather broad definition of 'commerce' that dates to a New Deal SCOTUS decision which is now obsolete and should be challenged). The operator is the business entity, not the driver. NH regulations recognise a difference between 'vehicle operators license' and 'pleasure vehicle drivers license' when recognising licenses from other states. There is no regulation that requires someone travelling in their personal conveyance on private affairs to have a license to do so.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

Jhogun

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2004, 07:06:52 am »

I guess I just don't understand why I would pay the city when I had already paid the state for the same thing.
Diligentia Vis Celeritas

FreeBoB

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2004, 10:27:57 am »

I guess I just don't understand why I would pay the city when I had already paid the state for the same thing.

Because they CAN!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up