Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Vehicle Registration in NH ?  (Read 14090 times)

thegotoguy

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
Vehicle Registration in NH ?
« on: October 12, 2003, 07:11:44 am »

I've heard that New England states charge a lot for vehicle registration.  I went to the NH state website to get information, and all it says is that it varies by town.

Could some current NH residents give a ball park estimate of what it costs to register a vehicle in NH and how the figure is calculated?  Is it based on the value and/or weight of the vehicle?  Which towns offer the lower rates?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lloydbob1

Re:Vehicle Registration in NH ?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 09:16:27 am »

Could you also add to this information what the inspection requirements are for registering a vehicle from out of state.
Thanks
Lloyd
« Last Edit: October 12, 2003, 09:17:02 am by lloydbob1 »

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 10:45:07 pm »

Registration costs vary by vehicle model and age. My 1987 Cherokee only costs me $35 or so to get new tags every year. Initial registration I think is about the same plus tags.

Inspections are safety oriented: lights, reflectors, bumpers, windows, mirrors, tire tread, brake pads, and no holes in the body, fuel system, or exhaust. There are no emissions tests. Mine cost $15. Those who get to know their mechanic well, especially if you spend a lot of money with him/her, can sometimes get their inspection sticker applied with less than normal scrupulousness toward checklist requirements.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2003, 02:54:31 pm »

Oh, BTW: NH does not require insurance for anybody who has not had a DWI or accident over a certain value/medical cost etc, so you don't need to be insured to get registered.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2003, 04:38:35 pm »

You will need to be insured if you drive into a state that does require insurance.  Or so insisted my MA insurance company after I was rear-ended by an uninsured NH resident in MA.

Sons of Liberty

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2003, 12:42:02 pm »

I pay approximately $390 per year to register a 2003 Honda Element in Londonderry.   But, I only pay $35 a year for my 1977 MGB.  Note that the part of this tax that is based on the value of the car (most of it), is deductible on your federal income taxes.  

While I never enjoy paying anything to the state, I realize that roads don't get plowed or paved for free.  I would welcome a free-market solution to these problems, perhaps to be discussed under another thread.

Regards,
Paul D.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2003, 04:43:41 pm »

I pay approximately $390 per year to register a 2003 Honda Element in Londonderry.   But, I only pay $35 a year for my 1977 MGB.  Note that the part of this tax that is based on the value of the car (most of it), is deductible on your federal income taxes.  

While I never enjoy paying anything to the state, I realize that roads don't get plowed or paved for free.  I would welcome a free-market solution to these problems, perhaps to be discussed under another thread.

The proper fair use tax would be a function of annual milage times vehicle mass divided by total tire footprint (i.e. measures psi load on road by vehicle times miles of usage).

This is only for dealing with the positive externality of roads. For the negative externality of vehicle exhaust, any modern gas pump is computerized enough to recognise with the proper imaging equipment what model vehicle is being serviced and adjusting its gas tax based on average fuel economy and typical emissions performance (perhaps even have an on pump sniffer for personal emissions tax calculations).

Of course, this says nothing about what your average vehicle loading is: how many kids or coworkers you carpool, groceries, etc. but none of that is anybody's business. Only commercial activity is constitutionally regulatable to that level, and US v Lopez helps make sure they can't define 'commerce' as anything they want it to be.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2003, 04:47:16 pm by Mike Lorrey »

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2003, 04:48:12 pm »

You will need to be insured if you drive into a state that does require insurance.  Or so insisted my MA insurance company after I was rear-ended by an uninsured NH resident in MA.

This goes without saying. If you finance a car as well, your bank will insist on the vehicle being insured for the life of the loan.

sopwith21

• FSP Participant
  • FSP member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2003, 09:43:07 pm »

NH has vehicle "inspections?"

Oh, for pete's sake. How often do we approach our Lords and Masters for their gracious consent? Please tell me its not an annual inspection.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2003, 04:26:07 pm »

Annual inspections, $15 charge, safety oriented, NO emissions checks.

Personally I'd prefer that it was left to your insurance company to deal with themselves. It's something we can work on. The converse is that since NH doesn't require insurance, uninsured drivers likely also wouldn't get inspections and would become roving deathtraps.

I personally would make inspections a self-inspection thing: the state or your insurance company sends you a form checklist to go through. You can do it yourself or have your mechanic do it, check off what is good, detail what you fixed, and send it off to a filing office.

In my work for a bus company, we handle our own inspections: we go through the checklist, inspect every item, detail repairs made, and affix the inspection sticker ourselves. The inspection form is kept on file, and the state is only informed what inspection sticker serial number is applied to what bus (id'd by VIN).

sopwith21

• FSP Participant
  • FSP member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2003, 04:36:20 pm »

since NH doesn't require insurance, uninsured drivers likely also wouldn't get inspections and would become roving deathtraps.

In order to use the threat of violence to get someone else to make their car meet my standards, I must first have a morbid fear of freedom. I do not. Since I'm not scared, I don't support forced auto inspections by anyone, though I would certainly support your right to inspect your own car whenever you desired.

Perhaps this is another threat of violent force that we can get rid of once we're in NH. And thanks for the info.

"Necessity is the plea of every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
- William Pitt

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2003, 05:04:11 am »

If the roads were privately owned the owners would have the right to not allow you on their roads unless they inspect your car. Why should publicly owned roads be any different?

The real solution, is the privatize the roads -- which apparently looks like it would be fairly easy to do in NH.

Tracy
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

sopwith21

• FSP Participant
  • FSP member
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2003, 12:15:50 pm »

If the roads were privately owned the owners would have the right to not allow you on their roads unless they inspect your car. Why should publicly owned roads be any different?

a) Because governments do not have rights, they have priveleges extended to them by their superiors, we the people. That's why we call them public servants.

b) Because government should not be in the business of using violent threats to force people to adopt certain behavior patterns. Inspection laws are backed by the violent use of force against people who have committed no harm against anyone. Such laws and the coercion and violence they enact are indefensible.

The real solution, is the privatize the roads -- which apparently looks like it would be fairly easy to do in NH.

It won't be easy in NH or anywhere else, but that certainly is the ideal situation. I'm all for it! In the meantime, we can reduce the amount of violence and force used by government under the current system by abolishing inspection laws.

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2003, 06:59:38 pm »

I'm in favor of repealing inspection laws also.

I just don't see how they are morally wrong.

Tracy
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

rodschmidt

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2003, 11:39:19 pm »

While I never enjoy paying anything to the state, I realize that roads don't get plowed or paved for free.

Two words:

Gasoline Tax
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up