Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trains, planes and automobiles  (Read 5238 times)

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
Re:Trains, planes and automobiles
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2004, 04:35:07 pm »

Sorry, Ogre, what I meant was that the funds that drivers pay in taxes and fees more than pays for the costs of building and maintaining the roads and bridges.

RS: I used to work for a US subsidiary of the French National Railway (which owns the TGV). It is NOT a private corporation, and while it is very convenient to ride, it is HIGHLY offensive to all the people who own property along its route, who had absolutely no input into its construction, and saw their property values plummet to nothing when the train came through (except for those who have property by train stops).

They certainly did NOT like finding out that I was a libertarian.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

RhythmStar

• FSP Participant
  • Imagine there's no Heaven.
    • RhythmStar Records
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2004, 07:13:57 pm »

Sorry, Ogre, what I meant was that the funds that drivers pay in taxes and fees more than pays for the costs of building and maintaining the roads and bridges.

RS: I used to work for a US subsidiary of the French National Railway (which owns the TGV). It is NOT a private corporation, and while it is very convenient to ride, it is HIGHLY offensive to all the people who own property along its route, who had absolutely no input into its construction, and saw their property values plummet to nothing when the train came through (except for those who have property by train stops).

They certainly did NOT like finding out that I was a libertarian.

Yes, the problem with trains, like the problem with airports, is that local property owners generally hate them.  

We fought like devils here in Orange County to keep the deactivated El Toro base from being converted into another LAX.  Most people here moved here to escape the rot in LA, not see it follow them south, save those who were born here and hated to see the LA immigrants as much as they hated the idea of an LAX-clone.  

Happily, that atrocity was defeated.  So, property values in OC will continue their meteoric rise until the bubble finally explodes.  :)

It does illustrate the difficulty with non-coercive mass-transit.  It is very hard to buy up the right-of-ways, when so many people would just refuse to sell.  High-tech individual transport, at least, can solve the problem for some.

RS
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 08:21:29 pm by RhythmStar »
Irony is the innate perversity of circumstance. -- William House

LeopardPM

• FSP Participant
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2004, 09:08:07 pm »

considering that we already have the 'government subsidized public transportation system' in effect, it will be next to impossible to see anything but very small, incremental change in this regard in the Free State: we are not creating something in a vacuum... all property is already owned and roads already in place... hence, it is NOW most efficient to use that same system.  We won't see much change until the true costs of the system are put back onto the folks who benefit (proportionately) and no cost to those who do not use the system, only then will the market be able to 'flush' out the past manipulations of the government and institute a true free market alternative(s).

I am sure that the free market would use to varying degrees: air, rail, private auto, bicycle (where appropriate), and new innovations to address market demands....
nothing to say...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up