Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A great article on success  (Read 3994 times)

thegotoguy

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
A great article on success
« on: January 10, 2004, 10:58:29 am »

I've read tons of business/success related stuff over the years.  Lately, I've been jaded from it all, and it seems to be the same stuff over and over again.

I did like this article I read over at lewrockwell today, and I thought you might like it as well:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/north/north241.html

Chris

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
Re:A great article on success
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2004, 01:57:31 pm »

I read that earlier!  :D

I was also meaning to post a request to one of these forums inquiring about any motivational/organizational resources our board members might be able to suggest. I guess this is as good a place as any.  ;)

So, anybody know of any resources I mention above? Anybody here want to take on the role of motivational guru?   ;D

thegotoguy

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2004, 02:14:54 pm »

Mark,

Like I said earlier, I've become jaded by most of the success literature out there.  It's all basically the same.

In a nutshell:

1) Ignore the critics, they criticize either because
    a) they're jealous
    b) they're lazy
    c) they really hate you  ;)

2) Make a written plan (duhhhh...)

3) Stick to it, but be willing to make adjustments
    (this way the author is off the hook in case your written plan doesn't work)

4) learn to delegate (I've found that "delegating" to computers is SOOO much more reliable than delegating to people - I prefer to call it "leveraging")

5) read a lot (i.e. buy more of my useless self-help books)

6) do for others (even though most of them don't really appreciate it or deserve it, it will make you feel better about being such a greedy pig)

7) take time for yourself (double duhhhh....)

8 ) avoid taxes (if the book was written by a libertarian/conservative)

There, I just saved you hundreds of dollars and hours of reading.  Seriously, that's about it.  I may have missed a few, but I've read dozens of these books since I was like 15 years old, and they all say just about the same thing.

I liked this article because it was different.  It mentioned an "exit strategy", which is a concept that I'd never really thought about.  As much as I enjoy my work, there will come a day when I want to take it easy, travel, and spend time doing other things I enjoy.  I never thought about making a formal plan for what should happen after I get to where I want to go.

Chris

Dozer

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 11:51:19 pm »

gotoguy,

Great post man, ive been reading books like this since a young age myself. Only problem is im ten years older and I havent done jack yet, arghhh!! Procrastination is a killer. hehehe I agree with much of what you've written. I guess i'm not totally treading water,im in college and i've managed to squirrel some money away, but im not where I wanna be either.  :D

Chuckster

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 06:02:29 pm »

There, I just saved you hundreds of dollars and hours of reading.

Don't forget the seminars  ::)

You can gather all the information and inspiration you want  but nothing happens until someone takes action.  sooner or later you have to skip the seminar, put down the book and Just DO IT!

Now go out there and make something happen.
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it." George Bernard Shaw

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 06:17:51 am »

Mark,

4) learn to delegate (I've found that "delegating" to computers is SOOO much more reliable than delegating to people - I prefer to call it "leveraging")

I like this idea.  ;)  Maybe we forget about looking for a motivational guru and rather look for a workflow automation guru.  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything