Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Work for all the FSP People!!!!!!! Sign up today!  (Read 8546 times)

Scott ISMP

• Founder of ISM Project!
New Work for all the FSP People!!!!!!! Sign up today!
« on: October 06, 2003, 06:45:52 pm »

Okay I am listing just a few of the many jobs that I will and my co owners will be listing for all of the nice FSP people :).

1.  Farm work.  From milking, feeding, taking care of animals.  Doing the basic farm work.  Wage $10.00 a hour.  Each person working will have a place to stay and includes family (no bigger then 7 people).

2.  Web Hosting Support.  Are you good with web hosting, computer, and servers?  Wage $8.00 a hour.

3.  Web Hosting Admins.  Are you good with servers and can work them? Wage $18.00 a hour.

4.  Restraunt.  

A.  Want to be a manager only 2 spots open.  Wage $16.00 a hour.

B.  Want to be a waiter/host only 4 spots open.  Wage $9.00 a hour.

C.  Want to be a cook only 1 spot open.  Wage $12.00 a hour.

5.  Advertisment.  Are you good with advertising?  You can become an advertiser for the Multi Network that is grand opening will be in NH.  Wage not decided of yhet.

6.  Web Designer.  Are you good with web designings?  Wage not decided of yhet.

7.  Do you have a good voice?  Want to talk on the internet radio?  Wage not decided only 4 spots open.

There is more jobs will be listed as we feel fit to come into play.
ISM Project

FreeBoB

Re:New Work for all the FSP People!!!!!!! Sign up today!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 09:56:41 pm »

jgilyeat

• FSP Participant
  • Boo!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2003, 08:54:55 am »

2.  Web Hosting Support.  Are you good with web hosting, computer, and servers?  Wage $8.00 a hour.
$8/hr ~= $16k/yr.  This is roughly $10k/yr -less- than what on-site telephone support techs should be starting at...hell, it's less than what teachers start at for crying out loud, and we -know- how poorly they're paid.  25-29k/yr for an -entry-level- support tech is much more reasonable, and is what I've seen at a previous employer.

3.  Web Hosting Admins.  Are you good with servers and can work them? Wage $18.00 a hour.

For an -entry- level admin, or third level support, this is an acceptable wage, and you should go based on an annualized salary for this position, not hourly.  You'll get seriously burned, even at $18/hr, paying the OT that -will- occur and accrue.  ($18 an hour is roughly $36k/yr...a good, solid wage for experienced second level support techs or NOC-weenies, but no where near what your starting wage for a SysAdmin should be).
It's also not even -close- to what a skilled admin can get, regardless of location.  In my personal experience (hey, I did it for 2 and a half years) Hosting Admins tend to need to be on-call, work a minimum of 45-50 hours a week, with 60 hours a week being fairly common, and have to have -very- broad skillset that isn't just BS (IOW: they need to be able to back up their resume).

I'm not going to harp on the Restaurant wages.  The only ones I disagree with are the Managerial wages, and that's probably more because I've been out of food service for 6 years than any sort of realized expectations :)  All I know is that I won't do management for under $20/hr :)

Now, before -anyone- starts ripping on me and going off on how these wages are too high, or are reminiscent of the dot-com bubble - they're not.  While NH isn't Boston, there's still competition between the two areas, salary wise, and the CoL isn't as low as some would like to think, either.  So, while wages will probably be lower than Bostons, they may be higher than, say, Pittsburgh's or Columbus'.  In general, the average salary for a SysAdmin with 5 years experience is almost 60k a year (Source: http://sageweb.sage.org/jobs/salary_survey/) and the average salary for a Jr Admin (1-2 year exp) just under 45k/yr according to the same source.  The general averages for the Boston Metro area are 10-13k higher than that.  Also, starting tech support, IMO, should be at 50-60% of what a starting newbie admin is at, or 23-28k.  

I'm also leary of going to work for an hosting provider that I know absolutely nothing about, as should everyone else here.  What's the name of the hosting company?  How long has it been in business?  How many clients?  etc.  If you're looking to have just 1 admin and 2 tech geeks, at your wages (16k and 36k yr) you need to have somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 clients paying an average of $20/mo.  That's just for salary.  You'd need another 50-100 to cover monthly hosting and bandwidth costs.

I'm not trying to be a party pooper, but unless there are -established- FSP-member owned businesses moving, it's going to be 12-18 months before we have any sort of significant FSP-employer presence in NH.

-
J

Scott ISMP

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2003, 04:10:44 pm »

Let me clarify something first :).  The web host support that is for when you first start.  If you get good at answering questions for the clients then you get a raise.  It is like any job you have to start out small.

Some prices I am still looking at for a few reasons I am estimating for what Montana job wise (since I live in montana for now) so I have to go to NH check out everything before anything is set and final.
ISM Project

Scott ISMP

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2003, 04:17:03 pm »

Just finished the rest of your post (missed some stuff).  As I stated a couple of months some of these jobs will not be open for a while aka about a year.  The one I am mostly focusing on is

Restraunt
Farming

Reasoning why I am starting on these two first is everyone needs food no matter who you are.  It wont make alot of money working on a farm, but it is a step for FSP.

Restraunt I am not sure where you live but the managers where I live get paid 16 to 18 dollars an hour.  Every where I live is low pay (sad, but true).  Reason why I have to go to NH first hand to check everything out.

I am in hope to be moving within 2 and half weeks.
ISM Project

Zack Bass

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2003, 05:38:27 pm »

Okay I am listing just a few of the many jobs that I will and my co owners will be listing for all of the nice FSP people :).

Exactly where?  Geographically.

synthbaron

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2003, 07:19:08 pm »

> I am not sure where you live but the managers where I live get paid 16 to 18 dollars an hour

I know fast food managers take home about $350 a week, so...

jgilyeat

• FSP Participant
  • Boo!
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2003, 10:12:18 pm »

Scott: I'm on the East Coast (Baltimore, specifically).  -Everything- I'm seeing in NH has it on parity with my area, if not -higher- overall, in most economic respects (ie. salaries, rent (which is on parity in the cities, and drops off to -very- nice rates as you move out even slightly from the city centers).  NH has a median household income of like, 51k per year, just to give you an idea of what income is out here.

The farm thing: you -are- aware that there's no lack for food in NH, right?  The best I can see an FSP farm doing is offering produce to the local supermarkets...maybe...and more likely trying to hawk their wares via roadside stands.  This isn't to say there ain't money doing this, Lord no!  I can even think of a couple of ways right off the top of my head to help make it actually be successful. :)
I don't see it making money short term (ie first year to three years), but if it can find an less exploited niche, it could do very well.

The webhosting thing: honestly, kick this off yourself and run it yourself, or act as an angel investor for someone who's trying to get one off the ground already.  There's a -LOT- of webhosting companies out there, and most of them either are just barely breaking even, are losing money, or are simply side jobs or hobby type jobs for the people running them.  The average host is a reseller with between 5 and 30 resold accounts.  It's beer money, basically.  The ones that are actually -trying- to be successful start making money by the time they hit 100 clients (2000/mo at $20ea gross) but really need 300-400 (6000-8000/mo) before they're able to quit their prior job to run the business full-time.  Self employment taxes are -brutal-.  You may think that 72k a year (6000/mo) is great pay, but when you're paying 40% to 50% of that -JUST- to the feds, it doesn't look so great anymore.

The restaurant could actually kick a seriously large amount of a**.  Even better would be to purchase some property and put up a B&B with an attached Seafood/Steak fusion restaurant, or something like that.  YOu get the nightly room rates, plus the income from the restaurant.  Locate it near the ski areas, and it could literally make a killing all year 'round (hikers/honeymooners/etc during the spring/summer/early fall, skiers/honeymooners/etc during the winter).

I'm -NOT- trying to be discouraging, Scott, I'm really not.  You've some great ideas, I'm just trying to help you flesh them out and give a perspective on on what Eastern expectations are as far as salaries are concerned.

To get back to those:
Fast food restaurant managers are overworked and underpaid.  Period.  You won't find those sorts of wages (350/wk -takehome- is ~550wk gross or just under 29k/yr).  For an assistant manager or team lead at a sit-down establishment, that's between appropriate, and just a little low.  For a store manager, it's completely inappropriate.  Seriously.

rodschmidt

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2003, 03:18:13 am »

He who has the gold, makes the rules.

If you think the offers are too low, become his competitor.

Dalamar49

• FSP Participant
  • I smoked out the sheriff and his deputy! : )
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2003, 02:51:12 pm »

Scott, its seems you got a lot of financial stuff going on.

You just might need an accountant....and I'd be happy to provide my services after I graduate and move to NH.

I'm surprised I haven't seen more accounting jobs listed in NH classifieds. Here in Nevada accountants are in high demand.
Get up, stand up, stand up for your right. Don't give up the fight.

gregg

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2003, 10:30:04 pm »

I'm interested in the farm work. I'm a certified construction inspector, but grew up on a farm and love the work. I'm married and my wife is expecting a baby in April. I am an FSP member.
                               Thanks,
                               Gregg

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2003, 02:57:54 pm »

I have 4.5 years experience with Datamann, Inc (http://www.datamann.com) doing technical writing, web development, graphic design, data repair algorithm development, and network architecture consulting. I program in perl, javascript, acucobol, visual basic and code HTML like it's a novel. I have written five software manuals, one of which is over 1800 pages. I have all A's from my networking and VB classes at Franklin Pierce College (my only comp sci classes since BASIC programming at Lebanon College in the 7th grade).

On the heavy metal side, I currently work as a diesel mechanic and vehicle network systems tech for Vermont Transit (the new buses have 15 major I/O computers on board, 13 of which operate in a token ring network to control most electrical systems via packet signalling.)

I am playing with wi-fi at home and am putting plans together for my own business but need a year or two of good income (i.e. significantly better than my $13.25/hr wage currently) in a better job to get the capital together (I am open to investors, so long as they don't try to take things over).

I also have experience writing successful business plans and market analyses, as well as speaking to the public about technical issues in a comprehensible way.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2003, 02:59:25 pm by Mike Lorrey »
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

bIlluminati

• FSP Participant
  • For freedom
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2003, 11:33:17 am »

Scott, its seems you got a lot of financial stuff going on.

You just might need an accountant....and I'd be happy to provide my services after I graduate and move to NH.

I'm surprised I haven't seen more accounting jobs listed in NH classifieds. Here in Nevada accountants are in high demand.

If we pass Nevada/Wyoming/Delaware corporate law, we will get the Nevada/Wyoming/Delaware business. I'd make it a first legislative priority.

I may be looking at anything from computer geek to insurance actuary to teacher to restaurant manager. But my timetable is in summer 2006 area.
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.

joe_m

• I'm an alpaca!
    • Funktard Troll
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2003, 04:01:09 pm »

Scott:

I would be willing to consider several of the positions you have posted. What kind of experience/training do you require for restaurant workers? How about for web hosting positions?

I would be willing to do farm work, even though this would be a substantial pay cut, since one idea I have had for my own future business is a goat farm and dairy products company. Would the farm work carry opportunities for advancement into management operations?

If you are interested, I can send my resume. Maybe you could suggest a position based on that.

Thanks for your consideration,
Joe.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2003, 04:02:45 pm by joe_m »

Dozer

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2004, 12:18:40 am »

I'm in Jacksonville, FL. and 16-18 bucks an hour is a very good wage for a restaurant manager here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up