Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: VT Town SECEDING to NH? Second FSP Shadow Ad!  (Read 169733 times)

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
Re:VT Town SECEDING to NH? Second FSP Shadow Ad!
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2004, 10:05:11 am »

I just sent in $50.02.  I can't wait to see the ad!

Ian
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

Victor VI

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a unicorn! Wanna play leap-frog?
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2004, 11:20:48 am »

Paypal donation sent.

Go get 'em!  ;D
I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.
--Grover Norquist

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2004, 12:01:08 pm »

Oh, the FSP is planning a recruitment mailer to be sent to pro-freedom individuals all over Vermont.

[diabolical laugh begins] We might as well do the mailing in conjunction with the Shadow Ads. [diabolical laugh ends]

;D

Maybe remind pro-liberty Vermonters what a difference a river makes by including this info:

The Economics of the Connecticut River Valley
New Hampshire is having Vermont for lunch, and breakfast and dinner

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
Re:VT Town SECEDING to NH?
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2004, 12:44:21 pm »

Perhaps we could try to convince pro-liberty counties across the country, or across the world, to secede to New Hampshire!

Talk about a historic political strategy!  :)

Panarcy I think it is called,  a dude wrote a book on the subject back in the 1800's. A person lives in one state but can select the government of another state to represent him.   It would seem even more viable if local governments could do that.                                                                                    
  Even if local government did so in a symbloic gesture only, it would be something. Hey you might even have Canadian Towns wanting to join NH.                                                              

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2004, 12:47:22 pm »

Just left a message with Killington's town managers office. His secretary was very happy to hear from an FSP member. I expect to hear back from him.

Killington is what is called a 'gold town' in Vermont property tax parlance. A large chunk of their local property taxes goes into what is called derisively 'the shark pool', to be spread around to the property poor towns for their schools. Gold towns have been fighting against the shark pool since it was instituted, arguing that poor towns will not use this money to increase school spending in poor towns, only to reduce their own spending, and this argument has been largely accurate.
Even when a gold town in vermont issues a bond for school construction, a portion of that must go to the shark pool, as must a portion of the tax money that goes to paying off the bond. This is merely a matter of poorly managed towns sponging off the good credit of well managed towns.
Beyond the school funding issue, there is Act 250, which established environmental courts in parallel to the regular court system, by which anyone can prevent you from developing your land. Killington Ski Area, the largest in the nation, has run up against Act 250 restrictions on development for years, and as the largest land owner in Killington Township, they are likely a bit supporter of secession.

Mike that really is something, the town manager is happy to hear from the FSP, great news.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2004, 01:05:51 pm »

Well, the radio interview of me by Terri Dudley got some significant repeat airplay. Don't know if that helped spread the memes, but it has raised our exposure in this area.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2004, 01:07:29 pm »

LR wrote:

<<
I've FOUND the list of e-mail addresses for SIXTY Vermont newspapers, magazines, and publications!

Who wants it?>>

Can you post it to this thread?
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2004, 01:08:13 pm »

Perhaps we could try to convince pro-liberty counties across the country, or across the world, to secede to New Hampshire!

Talk about a historic political strategy!  :)

Panarcy I think it is called,  a dude wrote a book on the subject back in the 1800's. A person lives in one state but can select the government of another state to represent him.   It would seem even more viable if local governments could do that.                                                                                    
  Even if local government did so in a symbloic gesture only, it would be something. Hey you might even have Canadian Towns wanting to join NH.                                                              

It also resembles the franchise enclavism that Neal Stephenson predicts in his sf novels Snow Crash and The Diamond Age.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

mark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2004, 01:51:36 pm »

LR wrote:

<<
I've FOUND the list of e-mail addresses for SIXTY Vermont newspapers, magazines, and publications!

Who wants it?>>

Can you post it to this thread?

Perhaps posting in public is not a good idea.

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2004, 02:11:16 pm »

Why not? It's public info.

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

mark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2004, 02:36:09 pm »

Why not? It's public info.

JM

It is? OK then.  :P

I was just thinking it would make it easier for mail-bomber agent provocateurs if any happen to be lurking here.  

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2004, 04:11:33 pm »

I don't think it's public information so I won't post it... :)

Perhaps in the Members Only area?
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2004, 04:13:40 pm »

Is ANYONE working on some LTEs?

If so, forward them to me, Hardy, or someone else in Vermont and we should be able to send them for you.  That is, if it matters whether or not we're in VT.  Some papers may not print outsider views.
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2004, 04:35:43 pm »

Ahh, the beauty of shadow advertising - we let other people create the publicity for us.  Does anybody have a draft of the ad???

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
Found NH Enclaves everywhere!
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2004, 04:42:51 pm »

An important concept to consider in this whole episode is that we may be able to establish Free State enclaves across the country. This would satisfy those who do not want to move east or north, simply get a town where you are to secede from your state and join NH.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 25   Go Up