Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Nature Worshippers Cause Death of Millions of Human Beings  (Read 18825 times)

<Patrick>

• FSP Participant
  • Radical Capitalist
    • Ayn Rand Institute
Nature Worshippers Cause Death of Millions of Human Beings
« on: January 07, 2004, 04:27:44 pm »

"Somewhere on the Earth, on average every 12 seconds, a child dies of DDT-preventable malaria. The United States National Academy of Sciences estimated that DDT saved 500 million lives before it was banned. The discoverer of DDT was awarded the Nobel Prize.

Then came Silent Spring — a book filled with deliberate falsehoods and blatantly marketed unreasoning and unjustified fear. The burgeoning enviro movement chose these lies for one of their first big campaigns. This campaign coincided with the rise of the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The EPA was in search of a big win with which to promote itself. The EPA studied the subject and its own scientific review board reported that - DDT is harmless to the environment and is a very beneficial substance that should not be banned.

Politics prevailed, however, over reason. DDT was banned, and the U.S. government spread that ban throughout the world by tying it to all sorts of international programs.

The result: Malaria, which was well on the way to control and eradication, now afflicts 250 million adults and kills about 3 million children per year. The deaths of children alone make this the most heinous act of technological genocide the world has ever known. It is the second-most extensive overall act of genocide — surpassed only by the reigns of terror under Communism in Red China.

Many enviros have spoken of this openly as a "population control measure." The Wall Street Journal has been more blunt, with its references to white males deciding to kill black, brown, and yellow babies.

Yet, the killing goes on — and on — and on."

www.accesstoenergy.com/view/ate/s41p1357.htm

How many more innocent lives are you going to sacrifice on your anti-human altar of nature worship?

Is the mere possibility of harm to birds more important than 50 million dead little children?

What kind of monsters would allow this unspeakable horror?

"I came here to say that I do not recognize anyone’s right to one minute of my life.  Nor to any part of my energy.  Nor to any achievement of mine… I wished to come here and say that I am a man who does not exist for others."
-Ayn Rand
http://www.aynrand.org
http://capitalism.org

<Patrick>

• FSP Participant
  • Radical Capitalist
    • Ayn Rand Institute
Re:Nature Worshippers Cause Death of Millions of Human Beings
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 04:30:24 pm »

Ecology/Environmental Movement. Ecology as a social principle . . . condemns cities, culture, industry, technology, the intellect, and advocates men’s return to “nature,” to the state of grunting subanimals digging the soil with their bare hands.

“The Lessons of Vietnam,” Ayn Rand Letter, III, 25, 1.

Now observe that in all the propaganda of the ecologists — amidst all their appeals to nature and pleas for “harmony with nature” — there is no discussion of man’s needs and the requirements of his survival. Man is treated as if he were an unnatural phenomenon. Man cannot survive in the kind of state of nature that the ecologists envision — i.e., on the level of sea urchins or polar bears. . . .
     In order to survive, man has to discover and produce everything he needs, which means that he has to alter his background and adapt it to his needs. Nature has not equipped him for adapting himself to his background in the manner of animals. From the most primitive cultures to the most advanced civilizations, man has had to manufacture things; his well-being depends on his success at production. The lowest human tribe cannot survive without that alleged source of pollution: fire. It is not merely symbolic that fire was the property of the gods which Prometheus brought to man. The ecologists are the new vultures swarming to extinguish that fire.

“The Anti-Industrial Revolution,” The New Left, 136.

Without machines and technology, the task of mere survival is a terrible, mind-and-body-wrecking ordeal. In “nature,” the struggle for food, clothing and shelter consumes all of a man’s energy and spirit; it is a losing struggle — the winner is any flood, earthquake or swarm of locusts. (Consider the 500,000 bodies left in the wake of a single flood in Pakistan; they had been men who lived without technology.) To work only for bare necessities is a luxury that mankind cannot afford.

“The Anti-Industrial Revolution,” The New Left, 149.

City smog and filthy rivers are not good for men (though they are not the kind of danger that the ecological panic-mongers proclaim them to be). This is a scientific, technological problem — not a political one — and it can be solved only by technology. Even if smog were a risk to human life, we must remember that life in nature, without technology, is whole-sale death.

“The Anti-Industrial Revolution,” The New Left, 142.

As far as the issue of actual pollution is concerned, it is primarily a scientific, not a political, problem. In regard to the political principle involved: if a man creates a physical danger or harm to others, which extends beyond the line of his own property, such as unsanitary conditions or even loud noise, and if this is proved, the law can and does hold him responsible. If the condition is collective, such as in an overcrowded city, appropriate and objective laws can be defined, protecting the rights of all those involved — as was done in the case of oil rights, air-space rights, etc. But such laws cannot demand the impossible, must not be aimed at a single scapegoat, i.e., the industrialists, and must take into consideration the whole context of the problem, i.e., the absolute necessity of the continued existence of industry — if the preservation of human life is the standard.
     It has been reported in the press many times that the issue of pollution is to be the next big crusade of the New Left activists, after the war in Vietnam peters out. And just as peace was not their goal or motive in that crusade, so clean air is not their goal or motive in this one.

“The Left: Old and New,” The New Left, 89.

Technology. Technology is an applied science, i.e., it translates the discoveries of theoretical science into practical application to man’s life. As such, technology is not the first step in the development of a given body of knowledge, but the last; it is not the most difficult step, but it is the ultimate step, the implicit purpose, of man’s quest for knowledge.

“Apollo 11,” The Objectivist, Sept. 1969, 9.

The enemies of the Industrial Revolution — its displaced persons — were of the kind that had fought human progress for centuries, by every means available. In the Middle Ages, their weapon was the fear of God. In the nineteenth century, they still invoked the fear of God — for instance, they opposed the use of anesthesia on the grounds that it defies God’s will, since God intended men to suffer. When this weapon wore out, they invoked the will of the collective, the group, the tribe. But since this weapon has collapsed in their hands, they are now reduced, like cornered animals, to baring their teeth and their souls, and to proclaiming that man has no right to exist — by the divine will of inanimate matter.
     The demand to “restrict” technology is the demand to restrict man’s mind. It is nature — i.e., reality — that makes both these goals impossible to achieve. Technology can be destroyed, and the mind can be paralyzed, but neither can be restricted. Whenever and wherever such restrictions are attempted, it is the mind — not the state — that withers away.

“The Anti-Industrial Revolution,” The New Left, 145.

If you consider, not merely the length, but the kind of life men have to lead in the undeveloped parts of the world — “the quality of life,” to borrow, with full meaning, the ecologistsâ meaningless catch phrase — if you consider the squalor, the misery, the helplessness, the fear, the unspeakably hard labor, the festering diseases, the plagues, the starvation, you will begin to appreciate the role of technology in man’s existence.
     Make no mistake about it: it is technology and progress that the nature-lovers are out to destroy. To quote again form the Newsweek survey: “What worries ecologists is that people now upset about the environment may ultimately look to technology to solve everything. . .” This is repeated over and over again; technological solutions, they claim, will merely create new problems.

“The Anti-Industrial Revolution,” The New Left, 138.

Whom and what are [the ecological crusaders] attacking? It is not the luxuries of the “idle rich,” but the availability of “luxuries” to the broad masses of people. They are denouncing the fact that automobiles, air conditioners and television sets are no longer toys of the rich, but are within the means of an average American worker — a beneficence that does not exist and is not fully believed anywhere else on earth.
     What do they regard as the proper life for working people? A life of unrelieved drudgery, of endless, gray toil, with no rest, no travel, no pleasure — above all, no pleasure. Those drugged, fornicating hedonists do not know that man cannot live by toil alone, that pleasure is a necessity, and that television has brought more enjoyment into more lives than all the public parks and settlement houses combined.

“The Anti-Industrial Revolution,” The New Left, 148.

He is the great liberator, who in the short span of a century and a half has released men from bondage to their physical needs, has released them from the terrible drudgery of an eighteen-hour workday of manual labor for their barest subsistence, has released them from famines, from pestilences, from the stagnant hopelessness and terror in which most of mankind had lived in all the pre-capitalist centuries and in which most of it still lives today in non-capitalistic countries.

—Ayn Rand “For the New Intellectual,” For the New Intellectual, 26; pb 27.

"I came here to say that I do not recognize anyone’s right to one minute of my life.  Nor to any part of my energy.  Nor to any achievement of mine… I wished to come here and say that I am a man who does not exist for others."
-Ayn Rand

BillG

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 08:55:05 pm »

"Somewhere on the Earth, on average every 12 seconds, a child dies of DDT-preventable malaria. The United States National Academy of Sciences estimated that DDT saved 500 million lives before it was banned. The discoverer of DDT was awarded the Nobel Prize.

Then came Silent Spring — a book filled with deliberate falsehoods and blatantly marketed unreasoning and unjustified fear. The burgeoning enviro movement chose these lies for one of their first big campaigns. This campaign coincided with the rise of the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The EPA was in search of a big win with which to promote itself. The EPA studied the subject and its own scientific review board reported that - DDT is harmless to the environment and is a very beneficial substance that should not be banned.

Politics prevailed, however, over reason. DDT was banned, and the U.S. government spread that ban throughout the world by tying it to all sorts of international programs.

The result: Malaria, which was well on the way to control and eradication, now afflicts 250 million adults and kills about 3 million children per year. The deaths of children alone make this the most heinous act of technological genocide the world has ever known. It is the second-most extensive overall act of genocide — surpassed only by the reigns of terror under Communism in Red China.

Many enviros have spoken of this openly as a "population control measure." The Wall Street Journal has been more blunt, with its references to white males deciding to kill black, brown, and yellow babies.

How many more innocent lives are you going to sacrifice on your anti-human altar of nature worship?

Is the mere possibility of harm to birds more important than 50 million dead little children?

do you believe that those who believe we live in a material limited world have honorable motives or devious?

do you believe it is possible to be for both the environment and prosperity?

Herself

• Western Science *is* *so* wonderful!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 09:34:38 pm »

We do not live in a "material limited world."  We live in a solar system filled with more raw material than our species can use up in million years.  And unlimited solar power is within our grasp.
     Polluting processes can be cleaned up (and many have been -- quite often, in advance of laws requiring it).  Industrial "robber barons" don't care to live in a barren, dirty wasteland any more than any other person does, and have the money and power to fix it up.  Not a few of them understand that there's no burying nasty byproducts under the rug.  (I've been reading about Industrial Revolution -- amazing how many of the factory owners &c took care to clean things up once they'd got busness on a sound footing!)  Nor are these businessmen immune to market forces; when people stop buying Smith Blivits because Smith is dumping raw, fish-killing  blivitesse into Lake Huron, old man Smith pays heed and takes action, if he wants to stay in the blivit business!

Most modern "environmentalists" will have none of this -- theirs is a simple, black and white world, where all industry is evil and the "natural" (read "uninhabited") world is the only good.
     Given the strong strains of collectivism and communalism in Green thought, it's shocking to think the most polluting nations were and are Communist states -- the former USSR, Red China and North Korea.  The States and Canada are pristine in comparision, especially when pollution is mapped against industrial output.

--Herself
Civilization in the United States ended by 1913.

nonluddite

• Caveat Emptor!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 10:50:47 pm »

Given the strong strains of collectivism and communalism in Green thought, it's shocking to think the most polluting nations were and are Communist states -- the former USSR, Red China and North Korea.  The States and Canada are pristine in comparision, especially when pollution is mapped against industrial output.

--Herself

Just look at the Kyoto Protocol.  In 1990, the Soviet Union had 1/2 the CO2 emissions as the US, but only 10% of the size of our economy!  That's what I call inefficiency!  Just think of what they polluted with besides coal!

(Then their economy collapsed, along with their emissions.  And Europe is banking on that outright bribe to get Russia to vote for Kyoto?  Where's THAT outrage?!?)
"I'm trying to free your mind, but I can only show you the door.  You're the one that has to walk through it."- Morpheous, The Matrix

Zack Bass

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2004, 02:17:46 am »

We do not live in a "material limited world."  We live in a solar system filled with more raw material than our species can use up in million years.  And unlimited solar power is within our grasp.

Well, I think we are quite capable of using up a hell of a lot of stuff in a million years.  I think we can use up most of this Galaxy in that time frame if we put our minds to it.
Which is very puzzling:  Why hasn't some former intelligent species in this Galaxy already done so?  They've most likely had tens or hundreds of millions of years head start, if they have any at all.  It is absurd to think that they are within a few thousand years of us.  So where are they?  Gotta be hiding... or we are the very first.  Either answer is weird.
http://pendarvis.org/rants/where_are_they.html

Your basic point is correct, it's gonna be a long long time before we run out of energy and resources and substitutions.  "Crunch All You Want, We'll Make More."

Yes, The Club Of Rome mentality has it wrong.  But in the long run, we WILL run out of everything, if we continue to increase our population at any rate at all:
"  ... with any population that has an exponential increase (as all populations seem to have), the volume of space required to support them has to increase exponentially as well, but any physically possible form of space travel can at most approach the speed of light, so the volume in which the population can live cannot be increasing faster than the cube of Time, whereas the required volume increases exponentially with time, and therefore will, in time, exceed the volume in which they can live."
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 02:18:31 am by Zack Bass »

Zack Bass

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2004, 02:25:50 am »

The EPA studied the subject and its own scientific review board reported that - DDT is harmless to the environment and is a very beneficial substance that should not be banned.

For a long time I have believed that DDT in mommy birds' bodies causes eggshells to be so thin that many chicks die.  I have seen this in many places.  Have I really been lied to about that?

<Patrick>

• FSP Participant
  • Radical Capitalist
    • Ayn Rand Institute
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2004, 05:49:46 am »

The EPA studied the subject and its own scientific review board reported that - DDT is harmless to the environment and is a very beneficial substance that should not be banned.

For a long time I have believed that DDT in mommy birds' bodies causes eggshells to be so thin that many chicks die.  I have seen this in many places.  Have I really been lied to about that?

I don't know for sure, but in light of the fact that the whole "Global Warming" theory is based on a COMPUTER MODEL from MIT (Read: no empirical evidence), I find it hard to believe any environmentalist claims.

Apparently that idea came from a book written in the 1960s called Silent Spring, by Rachel Carson. The title refers to the possible extinction of songbirds from DDT.

They don't seem to need evidence anyway. This is the "precautionary principle" recommended by Greenpeace:

"When an activity raises threats of harm to the environment or human health, precautionary measures should be taken even if some cause and effect relationships are not fully established scientifically."

They need no proof--all they have to do is say that something might "raise threats" to the environment.

"Notice first that this principle insists action need not be based on evidence, only on assertion, specifically on someone's raising threats of harm. The history of the environmental movement makes clear that its members are more than willing to be the ones who raise those threats and who ensure that the 'precautionary measures' will emerge as 'regulatory restrictions.' In this way, they can gain their ends through mere allegation.

Notice, too, that the precautionary principle states human health is simply one of a number of factors to be considered in evaluating the potential impact of a program or policy. But notice, most importantly, that when human life is weighed 'in the balance' with environmental factors, as it is in the case of malaria prevention, it is not human welfare that receives the benefit of the 'precautionary measures.' Since banning DDT 'raises threats of harm' to 'human health,' why would it not be reasonable for governments to take 'precautionary measures' against such a ban?"

Maybe because for all their prattle about a "balance between man and nature," they IN FACT care more about preserving nature than human life?

www.objectivistcenter.org/articles/pstephens_environmentalism-dont-judge-by-extremists.asp

http://theobjectivistcenter.com/articles/skazman_better-never.asp

http://theobjectivistcenter.com/articles/jperon_credentials-criticism-green-movement.asp

-Ayn Rand

<Patrick>

• FSP Participant
  • Radical Capitalist
    • Ayn Rand Institute
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2004, 05:53:29 am »

do you believe that those who believe we live in a material limited world have honorable motives or devious?

If you could--right now--lift the bans and restrictions on DDT, would you?

-Ayn Rand

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2004, 02:28:33 pm »

I beleive there are a lot of 'useful idiots' willing to be exploited by those who run the environmentalist movement for their own agendas. It is proven that environmentalists ignore real science in exchange for political correctness and consensus (i.e. the revisionism of the IPCC report and the persecution of Bjorn Lomborg, the fake 'science' of Sagan re nuclear winter, among other junk science scams).

Those who are happy to recycle their trash, save energy, and not eat dolphins but keep track of their stock portfolios are to be distinguished from those who are totally against all modern technology, people like Jerry Mander and Jeremy Rifkin, Ken Kesey's Merry Pranksters, Greenpeace and EarthFirst!, ELF and ALF.

The luddites run a socialist agenda with a very Maoist or Pol Pot flavor, preferring the extinction of 3/4 of humanity and a return to agrarian feudalism. For example:

"The earth's immune system, so to speak, has recognized the presence of the
human species and is starting to kick in. The earth is attempting to rid
itself of an infection by the human parasite."
                                            Richard Preston, 1994

"Even if animal tests produced a cure for AIDS, we'd be against it." -
                    Phyllis Newkirk, co-founder and president of PETA

"All of Medieval Europe was organized collectively. Sustainable
agriculture. Generation after generation, the serfs, the landlords,
they farmed the same lands, trod the same path, and they organized
themselves communally in order to sustain their existence. It may not
have been the best of all possible worlds, but it was a sustainable
form of life for six centuries." - Jeremy Rifkin,
http://www.worldtrans.org/whole/rifkin.html

Other quotes of The Jeremy:
"The ozone hole is now so gaping, we are being subjected to massive
doses of ultraviolet radiation, millions of additional skin cancers ...
our immune systems and all the other creatures on the chain, are so
compromised, read the paper this morning, so compromised from the UV,
that we are now prone to traditional diseases we had eradicated long
ago, and a whole new host of diseases that cross species boundaries, to
which we know no antidote or cure."

"These crises cannot be dealt with or addressed until we are willing to
do battle with the world view that gave rise to them."

"Efficiency. How important is that? ...Efficiency is the prescription
for disaster for this Earth. Efficiency is destroying the planet."

Also:
http://www.consumerfreedom.com/headline_detail.cfm?HEADLINE_ID=2239

Quotes by Jerry Mander:
"I do not tell do-gooders or other people working on Public Media
Center activities not to use television. What I say is that we should
have no television at all. The same could be said of computers. I argue
that life would be better, power systems would be more egalitarian, we
would have a more even playing field in terms of information flow, and
our media would be more democratic, if there were no television. We'd
also have a less-alienated population, less pacified, less inundated by
other people's imageries. But I also recognize that you can't just
remove television and keep everything else in place. It's the nervous
system of the technological machine. It's part of a very integrated
system, so we have to talk about all of technology when we talk about
television."

"Corporations will advertise whatever isn't true because if it were
true they wouldn't have the image problem in the first place. If the
corporation were a good citizen it wouldn't need to say it is. The
truth is that corporations generally act in direct opposition to nature
because profit is based on the transmogrification of raw materials into
a new, more salable form."

an admission:
"I have lots of modern technologies. It's impossible to function and
not have some relationship to technology."
turns into a protest:
"My feeling is that computers really strongly change the way we think.
I think computers are changing the world more rapidly and more
negatively than any other around. So I would really like to maintain a
disconnection from that."

A great page of Jerry Mander's aphorisms:
http://www.mrs.umn.edu/~mcphee/Courses/Readings/Manders_aphorisms.html

Kirkpatrick Sale on the Unabomber and his manifesto:
"I'm sure he makes good bombs, but grading  him on his intellect I
wouldn't give him more than a C+. I venture to  say he didn't make it
to his senior year."

The New Luddite:
"Many New Luddites are uncomfortable with using Email. There has been
concern that Email is both exclusive and ultimately puts people like
post-persons out of a job."

Prince Charles Windsor:
"Laboratory tests showing that pollen from GM maize in the United
States caused damage to caterpillars of the monarch butterfly provide
the latest cause for concern." (after it has been shown that the
reverse, in fact, was the case)

"I believe that we have now reached a moral and ethical watershed
beyond which we venture into realms that belong to God, and to God
alone. Apart from certain medical applications, what actual right do we
have to experiment, Frankenstein-like, with the very stuff of life? We
live in an age of rights  - it seems to me that it is about time our
Creator had some rights too ..."

"science should be used to understand how nature works, but not to
change what it is"

"We only have one planet. There are lots of people out there busily
trying to find other ones. Some people think that when we have finished
with this one we can simply start again somewhere else. But I'm not
prepared personally to find another one."

Baron Melchett, Director of Greenpeace, on Prince Charles:
"it is about time somebody pointed out how bereft of humanity and human
values it is for people to claim that they can take decisions simply on
the basis of what they call 'sound science'."

The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

Zack Bass

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2004, 02:34:44 pm »

Other quotes of The Jeremy:
"The ozone hole is now so gaping, we are being subjected to massive
doses of ultraviolet radiation, millions of additional skin cancers...."

He's so full of it.
The stinkin Ozone Hole isn't even in our hemisphere!  No way it's affecting us in the slightest.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 02:35:51 pm by Zack Bass »

RhythmStar

• FSP Participant
  • Imagine there's no Heaven.
    • RhythmStar Records
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2004, 02:43:24 pm »

The problem with all of this is that both political sides are more than willing to abandon fact in favor of spin that furthers their agendas.  DDT is known to cause reproductive problems in birds, but does not seem to cause problems in humans.  Is it possible that DDT could be used in a different manner, one that took advantage of these known properties, to protect humans from malarial insects without drenching the whole foodchain?  We don't know, because political hyperbole from both sides keeps us paralyzed, fighting over a false dichotomy that has more to do with dogma than science.

RS
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 03:13:37 pm by RhythmStar »
Irony is the innate perversity of circumstance. -- William House

Zack Bass

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2004, 03:04:51 pm »

The stinkin Ozone Hole isn't even in our hemisphere!  No way it's affecting us in the slightest.

The problem with all of this is that both political sides are more than willing to abandon fact in favor of spin that furthers their agendas.

Surely you are not implying that my statement is an abandonment of Fact.  It is demonstrably true.

RhythmStar

• FSP Participant
  • Imagine there's no Heaven.
    • RhythmStar Records
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2004, 03:11:54 pm »

No, but I had already hit the wrong button. :)

RS
Irony is the innate perversity of circumstance. -- William House

<Patrick>

• FSP Participant
  • Radical Capitalist
    • Ayn Rand Institute
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2004, 06:17:15 pm »

DDT is known to cause reproductive problems in birds, but does not seem to cause problems in humans.

So what is more important, birds or human beings?
-Ayn Rand
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up