Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: NH Tips  (Read 14476 times)

dougdnh

• I'm a llama!
Re:NH Tips
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2004, 01:30:27 pm »

I must disagree with Snowflake on the weather: I live in the western part of the state, at about 1300' above sea level. We had at least 10 mornings last winter where the early AM temps were -20 or below. Maybe not an entire week straight, but I'm certain there were 3-4 consecutive mornings of these temps. The coldest I've ever had at my house was -32. However, there have been winters where we rarely got below -10.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2004, 03:23:57 pm »

I live at the same altitude in the western part of the state, as well Dougnh (Grantham/Enfield border, on the ridge above Eastman Lake). Yes, early morning, as in 4-5am temps can be very cold, this is not what we are comparing. We can compare either coldest night temps, or warmest day temps, but comparing night temps to day temps is unkosher. It has been a number of years since we've had mid-day temps under -10 for more than a day or two, even at this altitude.

I worked as a bus mechanic from 2002 thru 2004, starting work at 5am, working on and starting up buses outdoors in White River Junction, even in the dead of winter. I think I have quite a visceral and hands on impression of what temps have been like for several years.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2004, 03:49:45 pm »

heating fuel tips:
while we are all individualists, there is nothing better to save money on fuel than buying in quantity. You can guess how much you need for the year ahead and buy it when its cheapest in the summer. That will save you some dough. Getting together with people in your neighborhood and form a buying group to negotiate with the fuel companies saves you even more.

For instance, my dad put in a propane heater late in the year and wasn't able to get any deals. He paid $1.89 per gallon for propane. A friend who bought a year contract in the summer paid $1.39 per gallon. The Eastman Community, in which dad's home is located, has a buying group that paid $0.89 per gallon last year. So the savings is truly significant.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

mvpel

• FSP Participant
    • Aidoann
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2004, 04:08:40 pm »

Also, it's important to note that heating oil gives you the best BTU bang for the buck, but it can wind up making your house smell a bit funny depending on where the tank is located.

Propane is generally the least BTUs per dollar among the fossil fuels - the propane companies market themselves against Electricity, not natural gas or heating oil.
New Hampshire Notary Public - Merrimack Valley Area - Silver Accepted

reteo

• The one and only... well, something, anyways.
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2004, 03:20:45 am »

*chuckle* I went from a reasonably northern locale (Youngstown, OH) to a southern clime (Phoenix, AZ), and lemme tellya, I am so looking forward to those wonderful things called SEASONS again!   And the chance to leave 120-degree weather behind.

Sorry guys, but this fella's a nondrinker.  (Well, okay, the occasional White Russian or Goldschlager does manage to pass my lips every so often...)

One question, though regarding heating... is there any form of natural gas up there?  What's the usual price?
Without credibility, no one will believe you.
Without reliability, no one will believe in you.

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2004, 09:48:42 am »

I know in Keene, natural gas is rigged up in the center of town, but not the outlying areas. No idea on the price.

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2004, 04:37:00 pm »

"Propane and Propane Products..."

blaked

• Fellow llama
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2004, 02:51:31 am »

I live in Moscow, and we don't have Indian Summer here.  NH sounds downright temperate.

mvargus

• Just looking for a place to be free
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2004, 08:22:02 pm »

I've just recently joined the FSP and was looking over the various forums to get some idea of how hard it will be to set up in NH.  I'd like to thank those who posted useful information and were generally supportive for those members like me who are going to be moving from warm climates.

I'll be honest, that first winter does worry me a bit.  I've lived in CA for 28 years, and I'm used to weather that rarely gets to freezing.  However, the freedom and liberty this group stands for means more to me than I fear suffering in cold weather.  Besides I have a few ideas for businesses that might do well in the winter, but probably won't during a blizzard.

Gerry LaVallee

• FSP Participant
  • Hunting, camping, or both.......too many choices
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2004, 05:09:36 am »

I'll be honest, that first winter does worry me a bit.  I've lived in CA for 28 years, and I'm used to weather that rarely gets to freezing.  .

Just some encouragement.......my brother lived in Hawaii for 20yrs and California for 2yrs before moving to upstate NY about 10 years ago
and he adjusted to the cold. (btw I almost forgot 1yr in Nam to start with) His first winter up here, he wore clothing in multiple layers 'til he aclimated. Now, I saw him outside the other day wearing a t-shirt when it was about 42 degrees.
I work, because millions on welfare depend on me.

bioz_in_MS

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2004, 05:00:51 am »

I'm in mississippi and I love freezing weather. I've been to toronto during the winter time wearing a average layer of clothing.  

heehe
it's fun eheh

bioz_in_MS

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2004, 05:20:02 am »

any advice for people who aren't able to drive motor vehicles?

I use public transportation or prefer walking/ or skateboard/bike(whenever possible) most of the time.

(I don't trust myself with cars most of the time is the reason so therefore since i'm not that great of a driver so therefore I declare myself not responsible enough with a *motor vehicle on public roads* and that is sober, at least I am being honest on the issue. )

BlueLu

• MMMMMMM! Monadnock
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2004, 09:05:52 am »

any advice for people who aren't able to drive motor vehicles?

I use public transportation or prefer walking/ or skateboard/bike(whenever possible) most of the time.

(I don't trust myself with cars most of the time is the reason so therefore since i'm not that great of a driver so therefore I declare myself not responsible enough with a *motor vehicle on public roads* and that is sober, at least I am being honest on the issue. )

I appreciate you, Bioz.  I am all for living around more honest and self-aware people.

Public transportation in NH is relatively limited, but can be workable.  

Click Here for the Mother Lode of NH Public Transportation Links

I say NH public transportation is limited, because I have lived in big cities all my life, so I expect an extensive bus system.  A lot of places in NH have bus routes, but may only have 2 or 3 routes.  Even Manchester, the largest metro area, and the largest public bus market only has 13 routes.

There are benefits to being on a smaller public transportation system, though, like bus drivers officially having discression to alter the route, as on the Berlin "Streetcar" line.  Keep in mind that some of these lines may be more geared toward serving the tourist trade than serving the working stiff's need for basic transportation.

Also note the opportunities for rail service into in Boston from Dover, Durham, and Exeter on AmTrak.  There are daily buses into Boston from a lot more NH localities.   And Trailways and Peter Pan buses crisscross the state for city-to-city travel.   The city of Nashua also continues to mull over whether it will make a deal with Boston's commuter rail authority to extend one of its rail lines into Nashua.

Pat McCotter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2004, 07:27:50 pm »

NH RideShare Public transit info - Click on Public Providers for cities:
http://www.nh.gov/dot/nhrideshare/links.htm
Visualize Whirled Peas

Give Pizza Chance

I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly. - Steven Wright

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2005, 09:04:35 pm »

New Hampshire has the highest alcohol consumption in the US....

One point I would like to clear up is this.

You state that NH has  the highest alcohol consumption in the US). Not true. Alaska has that.

Sorry, Nancy, but Doug is right on this one.

Per capita, New Hampshirites drink 4 gallons of alcohol per year - by far the highest in the US.  (The next closest competitor is Nevada, at 3.67 gallons).  Alaskans drink a measley 2.63 gallons. 

New Hampshirites drink slightly more beer than Alaskans, almost twice as much wine, and (surprise) almost twice as much hard liquor.

Source: National Institutes of Health (http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/databases/consum03.htm)

Sorry for freshening up an old topic (and for my first post, at that!), but I had to wonder about this chart. Methodology isn't mentioned in the footnotes, but the studies are both titled as "apparent" alcohol consumption. That makes me ask further my first question upon reading your post: is this based on sales, or actual consumption?

We've read how the NH state package stores have such low prices that they're a popular destination for neighboring states' residents. Is this database skewed by thirsty visitors from other states?

Kevin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up