Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: NH Tips  (Read 13357 times)

Nancy

• I'm a llama!
Re:NH Tips
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2004, 09:26:24 pm »

As a resident of New Hampshire, I am reading with some amusement many of the comments on this site. One person is excited because a Target may be coming into the town they are looking at. I hope this is not what most people are looking for as a quality of life improvement.
 I wonder how many sunbelters realize what winter means in New Hampshire. If you are not a winter person, you may be moving to a living hell (New Hampshire has the highest alcohol consumption in the US). As the old Yankee saying goes, we have 10 months of winter, and two months of damn poor skiing.
I've seen it spitting snow in July - honest. How many of you know about things like roof rakes, mud season, black flies, window quilts, and 48" frost lines. Concord NH has one of the shortest growing seasons in the US, about 100 frost free days a year. Of course in the hinterlands it's colder yet. A solid week of minus 20 mornings is not uncommon, and a few years ago, our snow was high enough that our dogs were able to walk on the roof of our house. As for city life, broken hips are one of the most common serious injuries on icy sidewalks of Manchester. Sure NH is a beautiful state, but just realize what you are moving to before you sell your air conditioners and head on up. ;)

Hi Doug

But those of us coming DOWN to your state, it will be much easier.  ;D

One point I would like to clear up is this.

You state that NH has  the highest alcohol consumption in the US). Not true. Alaska has that. And yes we have a very long, dark, dank, cold winter as well. We here know how to quilt (guess ya don't have store there where you can buy blankies???  ;) ) Pity, we do up here. We also know all about shoveling snow, digging out when it dumps 10 feet (or more) in one go. We can (most of us) drive on the ice. We know how to keep an eye out for moose, wolves and bears. We tend to do our own home repairs. Or we get a group of friends together for a bit of fun and repairs.

100 frost free days? WOW!!! Now I could do some growing in that time frame let me tell you.  ;D Also Alaska has more greenhouses per capita than anywhere else in the US and we aren't afraid to use them. So we can and woud use them there. Coldframes too. Modern tech is so much fun isn't it?  :)

As for broken hips and stuff, well that could happen getting out of the shower (the bathroom is the most dangerous place we can go to you know). But why wrap ourselves in cotton? Life is much too short for that and we would miss the bet things life has to offer.

Oh and one week of minus 20 in the winter! Sound like heaven to me. Especially since last winter it stayed at minus 65 for almost 2 months.

Yep NH is a bad place and oh so dangerous.  ;) People just needs to be careful. Thats all.

dougdnh

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2004, 09:25:34 am »

Nancy from Alaska, your comments are a hoot! Of course you have us beat in the cold weather dept., especially with your dark winters! However, I suspect most of the FSP folks are from warmer climes than NH. If you've lived south of New England all your life, you really have no idea what long cold winters are all about.  Even this week (mid July), it hasn't gotten above 72 for 4 days, nor has the sun come out. The same is predicted for two more days.

As for my comments on the 100 day growing season; I did my homework last night, and I was a little off. Concord NH has 121 frost free days - the shortest city listed in the Old Farmer's Almanac - even less than Juneau Alaska!

I'll be willing to bet my farm that about half of you FSP'ers will be looking to 'liberate' a more southern state after a few winters up here!  ;)

Nancy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2004, 02:46:09 pm »

Nancy from Alaska, your comments are a hoot! Of course you have us beat in the cold weather dept., especially with your dark winters! However, I suspect most of the FSP folks are from warmer climes than NH. If you've lived south of New England all your life, you really have no idea what long cold winters are all about.  Even this week (mid July), it hasn't gotten above 72 for 4 days, nor has the sun come out. The same is predicted for two more days.

As for my comments on the 100 day growing season; I did my homework last night, and I was a little off. Concord NH has 121 frost free days - the shortest city listed in the Old Farmer's Almanac - even less than Juneau Alaska!

I'll be willing to bet my farm that about half of you FSP'ers will be looking to 'liberate' a more southern state after a few winters up here!  ;)

Why thank you Doug, I'm a hoot  ;D lol Cool.

But to be brutually honest, those real bad winters occur up in the far north" (yes even here we have a far north). Fairbanks can get bad at times. In fact, no way I would live there. But if you come to my part of the state, why it has been said the temps are quite moderate. We have a dry cold and a dry heat. So when you mention 72 there (how much humidity do you folks get anyway?) it would be like 88 or higher here compared to a state that has a fairly high humidity rating. So that is warm, boiling warm to those  of us from my state.

But you know, you are right. I understand the reasoning behind this post and all. It is true that many of the people from the southern states might not be completely aware of how much a difference the weather plays in things in the northern states. I have seen many a southern (and anyone who comes here from another state is a southern to me unless born here  ;) ) come up here in the summer and think Alaska is a cakewalk. Then comes winter and reality sets in. Which is why I alays recommend people to visit during summer AND winter and then move just as the bad season (for them) is just starting. If they can make it thru the first bad season, the rest will follow with ease.

121? Heavenly!! Looking forward to setting up a greenhouse and then all the growing time, oh my!!!!  I don't live in Juneau. Less than 1% of the state lives there and less than 5% will ever go there. And yes that is OUR state capital. But it costs too much to go there, it is the only state capital one has to fly or boat into.  Haines has even a longer growing season. Alaska is so large Doug, that we could easily have 5 different time zones like you all have below. But we try to make it easy on ya'll and keep it all the same.

Wanna spar some more? lol See you Doug, looking forward to your next post.

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2004, 02:50:24 pm »

Even this week (mid July), it hasn't gotten above 72 for 4 days, nor has the sun come out. The same is predicted for two more days.

True, but this is also WAY below normal, and is caused by a massive storm which caused freak flooding throughout southern NE and NY.

Like I said, that has to be a record. I've lived here all my life, and that's not what I see in real life.
And you're going by the Old Farmers Almanac?  Tell us! what do the astrologers and National Enquirer have to say about it? ;)

First, you are severly underestimating these people. I know many of these people, and we are a more determined bunch then you might imagine... :)

Compared to what our founding fathers had to go through for freedom, living in a colder clime than you are used to is nothing. I was even willing to move to Alaska for such a chance.

'liberate' in quotes? Tell Kathy Sullivan and Charlie Proux I said hi! :D

JM
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 02:53:05 pm by jgmaynard »
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2004, 04:38:35 pm »

I can do it!  I can do it!  I can do it!

Ian
Sarasota, FL - Freezing 2-3 nights a year.

150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

northofthenotch

• Welcome all !!
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2004, 04:17:46 pm »

I've lived in Manchester, Nashua, Salem, Derry, Epsom, Deerfield, and now north of Franconia Notch in Lisbon, and I can tell you I won't move back south of the notch ever again.  
     Winter is winter.  You can't get away from it, so you might as well enjoy it to the best of your ability.  Spring starts a little earlier down south than up here, and fall starts a little later down south that's about it.  If it's going to be winter I'd rather have snow on the ground than look at brown grass.  
     I ran studded winter tires on my Ford Focus this past winter, and had no problems at all.  Up here in the northern part of the state the winter driving is different than in the southern part.  Not as much ice, it's easier to drive through snow, than on icey roads.  Since there isn't as much traffic you don't have to worry about the other drivers either.  And almost everyone knows how to drive in the snow up here.    
     Our vegetable garden up here is doing better than my father in laws in Northwood(east of Concord).
     The flower beds look awsome.  You really appreciate color and nature after a good winter.  We have a grape vine in our yard that is amazing to watch.  Up until 2-3 weeks ago you might think it was dead, but now it looks like a huge afro on top of it's trellis.  The corn in the fields was only a few inches high a couple of weeks ago, and now it's 3-4 feet.  It's amazing.  And you get to watch this every year.  I think it's cool.
     I could go on and on, but I actually wanted to post another winter tip.
     Check with your local Public Works Dept.  I think most if not all offer free sand mixed with salt.  You bring a bucket or two to the town yard, and fill up free.  I would suggest keeping some sand in a closed container in your trunk, a fold up shovel and blanket too.  
     Dave

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2004, 04:23:17 pm »

Excellent tips for the winters in NH. Thanks northofthenotch.
By the way, my brother and I are planning on moving up your way. Our parents grew up in Whitefield and we are looking at Whitefield, Lancaster, Littleton, and possibly Lisbon and Bath. Also, in a couple of years, a nephew of ours wants to buy a place up there.

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2004, 04:41:08 pm »

I can do it!  I can do it!  I can do it!

Ian
Sarasota, FL - Freezing 2-3 nights a year.

Hey Ian...reminds me of the "Little Red Train!" I think I can, I think I can!  Hey only real difference in the winter here is go from cold to warm, to cold to warm.  In the heat boxes you do, hot to cool, to hot to cool!  Really not a biggie when Freedom is at the end of the road! :D

Just learn to do it a bit differently! ;D
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

northofthenotch

• Welcome all !!
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2004, 04:51:24 pm »

Great, come on up.  FYI we have very little traffic in Bath and Lisbon.  West of the 93N corridor seems to be less inhabited by tourist(Shhh don't tell anyone)  ;D.   We're only about 25 minutes from Route 91 in VT too.  
                  Dave

snowflake

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2004, 04:15:51 pm »

A solid week of minus 20 mornings is not uncommon....

"not uncommon"?

For most of the state, this would qualify as wild exaggeration.  I looked at the past 15 years worth of daily weather data for Berlin, one of the colder parts of the state.  On average, there was only one day per year that reached minus 20 or below.  Even in cold years (like this one) there were never more than two days in a row that reached minus 20, let alone a whole week.

(Data courtesy of the National Weather Service)

snowflake

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2004, 04:26:27 pm »

New Hampshire has the highest alcohol consumption in the US....

One point I would like to clear up is this.

You state that NH has  the highest alcohol consumption in the US). Not true. Alaska has that.

Sorry, Nancy, but Doug is right on this one.

Per capita, New Hampshirites drink 4 gallons of alcohol per year - by far the highest in the US.  (The next closest competitor is Nevada, at 3.67 gallons).  Alaskans drink a measley 2.63 gallons.  

New Hampshirites drink slightly more beer than Alaskans, almost twice as much wine, and (surprise) almost twice as much hard liquor.

Source: National Institutes of Health (http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/databases/consum03.htm)

DC

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2004, 04:34:41 pm »

cool New Hampshire is first on another list-alcohol consumpstion. :) We can give alcohol to all the nonliberty voters on election day so they will be too drunk to vote.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 04:36:39 pm by DC »
Governments view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves ,tax it.If it keeps moving,regulate it.And if it stops moving,subsidise it.--Ronald Reagan-- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys P.J. O'Rourke

lloydbob1

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2004, 04:39:56 pm »

If the Porcfest is any indication, NH should be able to hold on to this statistic as we meet our intended 20,000!
I'm a lightweight, but, will try to do my part!

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2004, 06:19:53 pm »

Dam!!!  Another good, well thoughtout, logical reason to move to NH! ;D
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2004, 06:45:27 pm »

If the Porcfest is any indication, NH should be able to hold on to this statistic as we meet our intended 20,000!
I'm a lightweight, but, will try to do my part!

Do not fret Lloyd I will pick up your slack and If I need help, we have Dave at the ready.
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up