Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Why so few new people joining FSP?  (Read 29804 times)

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
Re:Why so few new people joining FSP?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2004, 10:12:59 am »

I'm glad that we allstill have such a positive outlook.  It's important to believe in the power of individuals.  5,000 people supporting a moderate agenda could get their ideas accepted by a large percentage of the population.

Elwar

• FSP Participant
  • NH Bound.
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2004, 11:01:29 am »

I've noticed a distinct difference in perception of the outlook of the future free state from before the state was chosen and after.

Before you had stories of this dream world of liberty where all was perfect. The business and employment forum was booming with new dream jobs that people wanted to start in the free state.

But with the state being chosen, things are a bit more definate. There is no mystical world where laws of physics and market are not known. There is a state, that state is New Hampshire. Before considering your 'Ostrich Pizza' restaurant you're hit with the actual realities that it's not a fantasy world where everyone likes Ostrich Pizza and that you'll be able to set up a shop in the heart of town where large amounts of people will flock to your restaurant with little overhead.
You have to start thinking in terms of the market and the reality that New Hampshirites might not care for Ostrich Pizza and your sales will be dismal while finding a location might be more difficult considering the low cost areas of the state are also the low population areas while the high population areas are very high cost.

Though this reality would've been the same for any of the chosen states.

The Free State is no longer a fantasy land where all of your dreams can come true. It's an actual state that needs hard work and dedication to move it closer to the land of our dreams.
It's a harder sell now than it was before the state was chosen.
The worst thing that can be done to society is for someone to try to help society.

Kelton Baker

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • Freedom is Free, it's tyranny that costs us dearly
    • Kelton Baker
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2004, 11:08:32 am »

I'm glad that we allstill have such a positive outlook.  It's important to believe in the power of individuals.  5,000 people supporting a moderate agenda could get their ideas accepted by a large percentage of the population.

Right!  I am still a maverick in my opinion that people ought to (starting on their own initiative) get involved in NH or even move there if they've become discouraged with where they now live.  The number 20k was developed as a number to obtain critical mass in effecting political change,  but it too is merely a starting-point.  Recently, it was disclosed that the same theory worked at the ratio that would change our number to 12k. 20k, 12k, 50k, 5k; whatever,  no matter what number you think we need, they are all a starting point in the larger scheme of captivitating the hearts of a majority of people in a state.

Yea,  I'm discouraged we aren't receiving hundreds more people and we aren't up a few thousand members right now,  but when I stop to think of the significance of even just 77 individuals and their families who committed this week to move to NH with only a band of 20k others, to bring about liberty, and they signed right in the dead of winter with an economy that is relatively sluggish,  wow!  I am amazed, yea, our goals are much higher and these numbers are lower than we hope, but still, people are joining, and they bring fresh optimism and enthusiasm too.  

It is also interesting how many people who are new recruits are also set on moving to NH right away;  they essentially joined the "Free New Hampshire Project" not just the "Free Some-State-Out-There Project"  People who join today seem to have more purpose in their resolve to make the move.  Anybody else agree with that perception?
Give me some men who are stout-hearted men Who will fight for the right they adore. Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men And I'll soon give you ten thousand more...--O. Hammerstein

Kelton Baker

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • Freedom is Free, it's tyranny that costs us dearly
    • Kelton Baker
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2004, 11:15:33 am »

I've noticed a distinct difference in perception of the outlook of the future free state from before the state was chosen and after.

Before you had stories of this dream world of liberty where all was perfect. The business and employment forum was booming with new dream jobs that people wanted to start in the free state.

But with the state being chosen, things are a bit more definate. There is no mystical world where laws of physics and market are not known. There is a state, that state is New Hampshire. Before considering your 'Ostrich Pizza' restaurant you're hit with the actual realities that it's not a fantasy world where everyone likes Ostrich Pizza and that you'll be able to set up a shop in the heart of town where large amounts of people will flock to your restaurant with little overhead.
You have to start thinking in terms of the market and the reality that New Hampshirites might not care for Ostrich Pizza and your sales will be dismal while finding a location might be more difficult considering the low cost areas of the state are also the low population areas while the high population areas are very high cost.

Though this reality would've been the same for any of the chosen states.

The Free State is no longer a fantasy land where all of your dreams can come true. It's an actual state that needs hard work and dedication to move it closer to the land of our dreams.
It's a harder sell now than it was before the state was chosen.

You said it best, Elwar.  We face far more realities now that we have chosen a real state.  For better or for worse, we've married New Hampshire as where this project is going.  Now, people don't just stop and examine us before joining, they also pause and ask what it is we see in NH, and it would have been the same for any other state.
Give me some men who are stout-hearted men Who will fight for the right they adore. Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men And I'll soon give you ten thousand more...--O. Hammerstein

Kyle

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2004, 10:19:28 pm »

50% of members who participate in the forums and read the poll are going no matter what...that's quite different.  It implies a more active individual.  Current average puts completion in 323.9 weeks, or 6.22 years.
When do we get worried?  The most recent count shows that a ten week average, if maintained, will get us to 20,000 in 468 weeks.  That's 9 years.

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2004, 12:47:28 pm »

Well, if the numbers are rising again, they'll eventually work out the dip from the last few months.

FreeStateVol

• Highty-Tighties are gay!
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2004, 01:20:43 pm »

Well, I'm a 19-year old and I'm committed to going.  As I see it, in the next 70 years or so that I'm likely to live, no other method offers as good a chance for liberty within my lifetime.  I know that I have the advantage of being young, idealistic, and not really tied down by a family and a career, but I feel like I have to do something.  Besides, I don't think 20,000 people is an impossible goal.  I think I almost have my parents turned to the "dark side"  ;D and I know my younger brother is interested in the FSP.  Also, it would seem to me that since New Hampshire lacks a bunch of big social programs, a population increase would improvethe economy rather than hurt it.
Nicholas Roland

Justin

• FSP Participant
  • So... these are going to be my neighbors?!
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2004, 04:09:50 pm »

Well, if the numbers are rising again, they'll eventually work out the dip from the last few months.

Agreed.  Note on the that we experienced the same plateau around the same time last year (near week 60 on the graph).

Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. - Diderot

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2004, 05:26:32 pm »

Rock and roll - the FSP had me scared for a minute there!

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2004, 06:36:49 pm »

Hey folks...it's the HOLIDAYS!  2003 was an incredible and sucessful year for the FSP, and I trust 2004 will be better one! :D
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

FSPTalker

• FSP Member
  • FSP Participant
  • Home at last!!!
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2004, 10:45:45 pm »

I agree, having already made the move on Dec. 4th. I know I had two things going for me before I left New Jersey.
(1) Just the act of crossing the border into NH and declaring my new citizenship, made me a marginally freer person than I was in NJ. I was right. The people and the attitudes here have been a breath of fresh air.
(2) I'm an accepted part of a free community here. The FSP community, where I don't have to explain myself, defend my views or apologize for my "selfishness". Finally, some place where I can relax a little.
Of course, there is still work to be done. The statist assault is a given anywhere you go in the world today. But for the first time in decades I'm actually feeling OPTIMISTIC!!!
There is no try. Do or do not-YODA

bookish_lass

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2004, 02:35:40 pm »

I read somewhere that there was a huge increase in traffic on the website after the SC ad.  A prospective member at our DFW meeting last night pointed out that you wont immediately see increases in membership numbers from that advertising.  People need time to think over a huge decision like this.  Most people can't just decide to uproot themselves and their families on the spur of the moment.

FreeBoB

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2004, 06:12:41 pm »

I agree, having already made the move on Dec. 4th. I know I had two things going for me before I left New Jersey.
(1) Just the act of crossing the border into NH and declaring my new citizenship, made me a marginally freer person than I was in NJ. I was right. The people and the attitudes here have been a breath of fresh air.
(2) I'm an accepted part of a free community here. The FSP community, where I don't have to explain myself, defend my views or apologize for my "selfishness". Finally, some place where I can relax a little.
Of course, there is still work to be done. The statist assault is a given anywhere you go in the world today. But for the first time in decades I'm actually feeling OPTIMISTIC!!!

Oh Yeah Baby!  That's what I want to hear!  Making the decision to move to NH has changed my life and I'm still in upstate NY.  I'm looking at my city and county tax bills here thinking that these are my last ones here - I'm so glad to have somewhere to go to live free.  I have lots of energy to get rid of useless household items -  to 'lighten my load', pay off debt, save up cash and research where in NH to live.  

I can't wait to move!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 05:02:54 pm by Brian Sullivan »

FreeBoB

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2004, 06:15:13 pm »

...and you can have a detailed look at the FSP website traffic here:  http://freestateproject.org/usage/

Toowm

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2004, 06:22:45 pm »

Keep Heart - the bulk of FSPers were always likely to have major personal issues with moving. It might make sense to have a poll in the forums or main page on people that are interested but waiting to commit.

Here's my personal journey - 1. Heard about project mid-2003, found website, wished you well. 2. Came back to site over holidays to find NH selected and spent several days seeing if it would work (job, housing, church, school) and talked with spouse 3. Concluded that current job would be difficult unless commuting to Boston; family concerns over major uprooting. 4. Have visited site and forums weekly and talked with liberty-minded friends, trying to think of other job choices 5. Joined forum today for this post.

I think I am on a path that leads me to NH, but you must understand that I will not sign the pledge unless my spouse, children and I are fully committed to the move. However, if we sign, I expect we would move right away.

You need the 20,000 to be people and families that build roots and relationships with each other and their communities.  For those who have done this in the current locales, give us some time.

TOOWM (Porc - The Other, Other White Meat)

P.S. Another PR idea is linking up with the world's smallest political quiz - you just need 1% of the two million people who have tried it
toowm
Porc -- The Other, Other White Meat
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Up