Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Why so few new people joining FSP?  (Read 30036 times)

nick

• I'm a llama!
Why so few new people joining FSP?
« on: December 22, 2003, 02:30:37 pm »

I have been watching the FSP for 18 months and have noticed a huge slowdown in new members.  FSP used to grow 80-100 per week, but now is crawling along at half that rate.

Does anyone care to venture a thought as to why this has happened?

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
Re:Why so few new people joining FSP?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 03:07:49 pm »

It's really no big deal at all.  Hundreds of people opted out of New Hampshire.

All we need to do is to try some new marketing and selling strategies.

Regardless of the member count, 50% of all members are moving with or without 20,000 members.  Many are moving immediately, myself included.
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

Kyle

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 07:08:51 pm »

50% of members who participate in the forums and read the poll are going no matter what...that's quite different.  It implies a more active individual.  Current average puts completion in 323.9 weeks, or 6.22 years.

bmud

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2003, 08:24:50 pm »

Current average puts completion in 323.9 weeks, or 6.22 years.

I think it's important to stress that declining member growth shouldn't discourage anyone from moving.

If you move and we don't hit 20k, NH is still one of the freest states in America and there are at least a handful of people who did move who are dedicated to preserving that freedom.

If you move and we do hit 20k, just in 6 years not 2, then freedom is delayed, not denied.  In that 6 year span, it's still the freest state in the union and pleny of porcs will have moved early.

CyberChrist

• I'm ...uh.... not sure.
    • Hackerjournal
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2003, 01:28:56 pm »

I've been watching the movement as of the last few months as well, and I personally don't feel like moving to a state that is as cold as NH is.  Also, job prospects are bleak all around the country, but they are especially so in NH, which seems to be basically a suburb for Boston, so a lot of people are going to shy away for that reason as well.  Many people (most in fact) have jobs that they are not going to easily get away from, and you are going to be hard-pressed to find a way to justify moving from a secure job and away from family and friends and from a climate that might be better suited to your likings to a place that doesn't have much in the way of jobs.  I am sure there are friends and family looking at FSP readers with a very confused look when they tell them that they want to move to.... New Hampshire and quit their jobs.

Personally, I don't know how much good it is going to do to move people to one state and think that it is going to make any kind of lasting difference.  Martial law is not something that gets voted on, so when it comes, it will affect every citizen in America, not just the ones that don't live in NH.

I'd be happier in seeing the ideals of this group be spread through the airwaves, through ownership of radio and television stations, along with increased coverage in newspapers and the Internet.  Raising awareness is the first step in getting people to believe in what you stand for and I simply do not believe that this has been done on the scale that it should be when it comes to this project.

So.. I don't know.  Personally, I sit on the fence because I am simply not sure that this is the way to make a long-lasting difference.
CyberChrist
http://www.hackerjournal.com
"How much can you know about yourself if you've never been in a fight?"

Blefuscu

• FSP Participant
  • Big Endian Enemy of the State
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2003, 10:10:28 pm »

I find the climate anywhere north of I-20 to be daunting too.  I could probably adapt to the dreadfully cold weather in NH eventually, but I'd sorely miss the more temperate climate I've always lived in.  Although I am reasonably comfortable living in Dallas, I much prefer the fecund vitality of south Louisiana where I grew up.  The brief winter there is barely noticeable.   Deciduous trees seldom drop all of their leaves.  Crops are grown all year.  No animals hibernate.  

More problematic for me would be the population density in the northeast.  Someone mentioned that there is nowhere in NH you can live that is more than 45 minutes from a WalMart.  That is depressing.   People there must feel very cramped.   And the longest geographic dimension of the state of NH is only slightly greater than the distance from Dallas to Austin, which is not an especially long drive.  
"Man will never be free until the last King is strangled with the entrails of the last Priest" - Denis Diderot
"I like beer and ice cream, and I have other vices too."  - Blefuscu

minikin

• FSP Participant
  • NH !!!
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2003, 10:12:53 pm »

New Hampshire only seems cold if you've never been to Northern Montana, the Dakota's, Newfoundland, or, I kid you not, New Jersey, PA, or Washington DC. Suburb of Boston?? Only Nashua and Merrimack, & maybe to the southern edge of Manchester seem to have been overrun; despite more than 20 years of MA escapism. Move out of those sadly blighted areas and it's still "Live Free or Die" individualism --what attracted me to the place originally 25+ years ago; and what Maine with their new found liberalism is now sadly lacking.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2003, 08:38:58 pm »

I've been watching the movement as of the last few months as well, and I personally don't feel like moving to a state that is as cold as NH is.  Also, job prospects are bleak all around the country, but they are especially so in NH, which seems to be basically a suburb for Boston, so a lot of people are going to shy away for that reason as well.  

While this is a common misperception, NH actually has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the entire country, and some have the lowest rates in the world. Nor is it 'basically a suburb of Boston'.

The southern border of NH is 30-45 minutes from Boston (on a good day), and while some people live on the border and commute, the overwhelming majority of the state lives and works within NH, where high-tech abounds, as doe educational and other employment options. I live 2.5 hours from Boston, which ain't any 'suburb', yet I'm still in the southern half of the state.

Suggest those who don't know jack about this state spend some time here before making such plainly uninformed statements.

Winter weather lasts about 5 months, typically, and is usually no colder than 20F in that time, outside of a few blizzards. Yes, we like to tell stories about how terrible the weather is here to scare away the statist softies, but this is mostly propaganda like that told by Californians to keep other people from moving to Seattle.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2003, 08:41:28 pm by Mike Lorrey »
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

Blefuscu

• FSP Participant
  • Big Endian Enemy of the State
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2003, 09:26:56 pm »

I'm considering spending a week of my vacation time next year visiting NH.  I want to go sometime when travel will be easy and the weather pleasant.  The purpose of the trip will be to survey NH geography sans snow, and to evaluate the feel of the place, people's attitudes, etc.   What months would be best for this?
"Man will never be free until the last King is strangled with the entrails of the last Priest" - Denis Diderot
"I like beer and ice cream, and I have other vices too."  - Blefuscu

cjean

• FSP Participant
  • Very interesting...
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2003, 05:09:20 pm »

Hi...this is my first post, and I'd like to say that I joined after reading the Walter Williams columns of late.  I'm Republican in affiliation, but definitely feel affinity with Libertarians.  I am devouring all I can read about this, frankly I thought there was no hope for participation in something of this kind.  I am truly inspired.
I didn't wish to wait to declare my intent, I wanted to see if there might be a swell in response and new memebers because of the exposure thru Dr. Williams columns.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2003, 06:43:56 pm »

I'm considering spending a week of my vacation time next year visiting NH.  I want to go sometime when travel will be easy and the weather pleasant.  The purpose of the trip will be to survey NH geography sans snow, and to evaluate the feel of the place, people's attitudes, etc.   What months would be best for this?

May is decent. Note that if you are going to be in any wilderness areas that black fly season runs from late May to the end of June. July through October are excellent. let me know if you want to do any fly fishing or hunting.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2003, 11:16:19 pm »

To address the declining membership, there is a positive note.  If every existing FSP member moved to NH, we could succeed.  5,000 people is more than enough to bring a third party presence into a state like NH.  We'd have to work a lot harder than if we hit 20K, but 5,000 is still five times as many activists as the two major parties have.

Unfortunately, this is assuming that we have 5,000 genuine, ready-to-go members.  As many of you know, that isn't exactly the truth.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 11:16:53 pm by rdeacon »

SBottari

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2004, 01:44:04 am »

I think the climate has something to do with it - and now people are limited.  Instead of a possible ten states (or fifteen as there once was), there is only New Hampshire.  It's a fine choice for me, it's more comfortable climate-wise than here in the Twin Cities.  A little less colder in the winter, quite a bit milder in the summer.  

I really would like to get there soon, but I just graduated and have some debt to pay off.  After I get some money saved up - I'd like to set up my own business there and generate some jobs.  Hopefully, a lot of us can do that and then in a couple years when businesses grow; more people will move.  And that may be what people are waiting for.
"The cheek of every American must tingle with shame as he reads the silly, flat, and dishwatery utterances of the man who has to be pointed out to intelligent foreigners as the President of the United States."
   -The Chicago Times review of After Lincoln's Gettysburg Address

Dawn

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2004, 10:37:01 pm »

If every existing FSP member moved to NH, we could succeed.  5,000 people is more than enough to bring a third party presence into a state like NH.  We'd have to work a lot harder than if we hit 20K, but 5,000 is still five times as many activists as the two major parties have.

I was just thinking the same thing as I was reading another thread! I am not going to worry about  how many members we have or how fast the membership is growing. I am looking forward and hoping to move in the near future. If everyone did that and put their energy into helping make NH the Free State, I am certain that the FSP will be deemed a success. I will feel it to be a personal success to be able to live a freer life, regardless of the "success" of the FSP.

FreeBoB

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2004, 12:08:06 am »

I agree with you completely Dawn.  I see no hope of anything changing here in NY in my lifetime.  I plan to move this year and do all I can now and when I'm there to promote the FSP.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 12:10:41 am by Brian Sullivan »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Up