Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ski Guide available  (Read 2482 times)

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
Ski Guide available
« on: December 15, 2003, 10:44:11 pm »

One activity is pretty widely enjoyed by  granite staters, and that is skiing. NH has over a dozen significant ski areas, and many smaller community areas, around the state. Most every ski area has a ski club, and many communities with no ski areas have ski clubs to organize trips to ski areas.

I grew up skiing here in NH and know almost every ski area in the state. I was a ski racer from childhood through high school and college. My senior year of high school I was team captain and finished 10th in the State Championships.

From my senior year of high school through 1997, I have worked as a ski instructor at ski areas in NH as well as in Washington State and New Mexico and was a certified Professional Ski Instructor. I also have ski patrol and first responder training. I have raced with and worked with Olympic ski team members and medal winners and have coached and instructed children and adults, from beginners to experts.

I am willing to be a ski guide to any porcupines exploring the state, or who have moved here recently and want a personal guide or instructor.

Guide fee: my days ski pass, gas and lunch
Guiding & Instructing: above plus $10/hr
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

atr

• FSP Participant
Re:Ski Guide available
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2003, 10:24:28 am »

Mike,

I don't want to mooch too much off of your services, but I'd really appreciate it if you could list your favorite few NH (downhill) ski places. My wife and I are thinking about a weekend trip later this winter, and your advice would be much appreciated.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2003, 12:47:02 pm »

If you want lots of trails to choose from, but are not a real expert, I'd suggest the following:

Waterville Valley
Loon Mountain
Lake Sunapee
Bretton Woods

These have pleny of beginner and intermediate terrain and are very family friendly, though they are large ski areas (Sunapee is the smallest) and may seem a bit too trafficked.
Bretton Woods is a fine area that is a bit further north and does not get as much traffic as the ones further south, plus it has the fantastic and famous Mount Washington Hotel and Resort. It is also the largest ski area (so it claims) in NH.

If you want more difficult terrain, I'd suggest Wildcat and Cannon Mountain, and Attitash is pretty good as well, though they also have plenty of beginner and intermediate terrain to choose from.

Those experiencing Cannon can, at times, experience the very worst weather that NH has to offer.  Located on the west side of the White Mountains, winds very frequenly rip across its face at high velocity and very low temperatures. Its trails are among some of the best expert skiing in the state, however.

If you want smaller cozy areas, try the following:

Ragged Mountain
The Balsams
Tenney Mountain

Tenney Mountain is well developed and located in Plymouth, the center of the state. My brother David was once the manager of the area. It has a significant number of condo and chalet developments and has a well developed ski club.

Ragged Mountain is run by a few friends of mine and is a very family oriented area.

The Balsams is a more upscale locale. The Resort sits near the peak of Dixville Notch and resembles a Bavarian castle nestled on the shore of a pond amid the forest. It owns an award winning golf course, miles of cross country ski trails, and the alpine ski area has two lifts and 16 trails, and skiing is complementary to Resort guests. For those staying nearby, ticket prices are extremely affordable, in the $30 range for adults.

If you want an extreme and back to nature experience, you can try the Appalachian Mountain Lodge at Pinkham Notch. This is on the east side of Mount Washington. It has no ski lifts: you hike from the Lodge at the base all the way up to famed Tuckerman Ravine, up its headwall and over into the snowfields of the peak area. The Lodge is also across the valley from Wildcat Mountain for those looking for more conventional skiing faire. Tuckerman Ravine skiing does not generally open until March at the earliest, sometimes late april, due to avalanche risks.

http://www.visitnh.gov/todo.html?action=showcategory&cat=27#listingstart

http://www.skinh.com

« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 12:47:33 pm by Mike Lorrey »
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

atr

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2003, 11:04:18 pm »

Thanks a lot for all the info. I'm taking a closer look at the places you recommended and am looking forward to their proximity after we move up there in 2005. (The skiing isn't so great down here in the DC area. :( )
Pages: [1]   Go Up