Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Should we all move to the center of NH?  (Read 8094 times)

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
Should we all move to the center of NH?
« on: December 15, 2003, 04:30:32 am »

Plymyth, or Concord?

Would it make sence for Free Staters to all be concentrated in the center of New Hampshire? Then we'd be the shortest distance to all parts of NH, to attend events, campain, support liberty oriented petitions, etc.

Tracy
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

Roycerson

• FSP Participant
Re:Should we all move to the center of NH?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2003, 08:23:01 am »

No, we need to become an integral part of every community in New Hampshire.  About 500 of you need to come to Claremont and some of you need to bring jobs with you.  I think there are a few towns that fall into that category.  Berlin for example.
He who is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom....Anton LaVey

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2003, 04:33:35 pm »

Hold on their Roycerson, your quota for the Claremont area is 131.87 porcs.  ;)

By all means, a useful central organization staffed by professional activists should be established in the Concord area. Just like the Big National Offices of the libertarian movement have set up shop in Washington D.C.

BillG

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 06:41:20 pm »

Plymyth, or Concord?

Would it make sence for Free Staters to all be concentrated in the center of New Hampshire? Then we'd be the shortest distance to all parts of NH, to attend events, campain, support liberty oriented petitions, etc.

Tracy

It is not that hard to get from one end of the state to the other (Berlin to Keene) just ask the presidential candidates or better yet the staff that works for them...

S Michael Moore

• FSP Participant
  • Watch your step, I'm prickly!
    • Fuki Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2003, 07:17:57 pm »

I am from TX, so for me, it is of little concern.  It takes ~13 hours to cross the state.  I regularly make "day trips" that take 5 hrs each way.  NH will be no problem.
More and more, when faced with the world of men, the only reaction is one of individualism. Man alone is an end unto himself. Everything one tries to do for the common good ends in failure. -- Albert Camus

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2003, 10:26:23 pm »

I agree with roycerson. 500 or so members each moving to the following towns:

Claremont
Lebanon
Plymouth
Berlin
Laconia
Keene

Would form some solid party organizations in these extremely key battleground communities. I would also recommend several thousand in and around Manchester, Concord, and Portsmouth, each. Beyond this, picking a half dozen rural communities with minimal zoning and other regulations, in which to build showcase libertarian communities, should be targeted by a couple hundred members each.

I highly recommend, when porcs come to NH to explore, that they check out one or more of the Shaker communities around NH. The Shakers are no more, for they did not reproduce, but their communities are models of how productive individuals could be in communal settings when they all shared the same belief structure, such that they are held up as pioneers of communal living by the leftist back to the earth types, and their communities are now museums to propound the simple life.

While I don't recommend anybody start up where the Shakers left off, there is a lot to be learned by the model communties they built.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 10:28:45 pm by Mike Lorrey »
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

S Michael Moore

• FSP Participant
  • Watch your step, I'm prickly!
    • Fuki Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2003, 11:28:21 pm »

Mike, as pertains to your objectives, is there a difference in living in Gilford as opposed to Laconia?
More and more, when faced with the world of men, the only reaction is one of individualism. Man alone is an end unto himself. Everything one tries to do for the common good ends in failure. -- Albert Camus

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2003, 11:53:38 pm »

Mike, as pertains to your objectives, is there a difference in living in Gilford as opposed to Laconia?

There are several different objectives that individuals can have. My personal preference is that a significant percent of the members move to towns which have election results that are regularly less than 55% to 45% in elections. These are battleground towns. Establishing a presence that equals or exceeds the number of vote difference between the two major parties means that we become the king makers and will control who gets elected to the state House from that community. It also means we will mobilize local tax cutting, regulation cutting, and privatizing of town facilities like schools, or at least eliminate the dominance of the NEA.

If Gilford is such a community, and it has significant influence on who wins house seats in their district, then by all means add it to the list.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2003, 02:20:41 pm »

Lebanon

I highly recommend, when porcs come to NH to explore, that they check out one or more of the Shaker communities around NH.

For what it's worth, Enfield would be on my 'recommended' list.  It's close to Lebanon which offeres the very best value for commercial convenience per dollar of land cost (even better than Keene, where we're relocating to).  Enfield is home to a big shaker community, a nice lake, and building lots that run in the 40k or a little less range (that's hard to beat in NH).  

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.

Roycerson

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2003, 06:59:33 pm »

Few if any have proven a more solid comprehension of NH's current political situation than Mike Lorrey.  If 20,000 people are moving and 10,000 will be in the Manchester/Concord area then there are 10,000 left to distribute throughout the state.

How many will be in 1-50 FSP member towns?

How many will be as far from any town as they can?

How many does that leave to move to specifically targeted locations?

I like this list idea but I'm sure the candidate towns are far more numerous than we can take on initially.

Mike, Make the list.  Keep it short.  This is a doable thing.
He who is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom....Anton LaVey

Elwar

• FSP Participant
  • NH Bound.
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2003, 07:18:44 pm »

I think we'll have a greater idea after the 2004 for which cities need us the most. When the NHLA does its ranking of current officeholders along with a questionairre for potential candidates we'll know how many voters we need in the different parts of the state to get the more liberty oriented candidates into office.

As of right now we only know how many votes the different officeholders are away from losing their seats. But we don't know if the replacements are more or less liberty oriented.
The worst thing that can be done to society is for someone to try to help society.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2003, 08:03:46 pm »

I wouldn't worry about going wrong. NH is a rather small state and the primary battleground communities tend to be mid-sized towns and small cities that range from 8k-20k population. The biggest communities tend toward liberals, the rest tend toward republicans.

I'll work on a spreadsheet to figure out definitely what towns I'm talking about. This is a numbers game, and the election results are the numbers that matter.

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2003, 04:45:22 am »

OK, so has anybody done any studies on what the best cities to move to would be, to get the maximum impact with the least amount of work?

Tracy
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

Elwar

• FSP Participant
  • NH Bound.
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2003, 10:00:35 am »

We've delved into that in the NH Political thread.

Though my web site is currently down, I still have the excel tables.

This thread does some work toward finding the more statist politicians that need to go:
http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=31;action=display;threadid=4110

I believe one of the key factors is finding those districts where a very statist politician is just a few votes away from getting kicked out of office. Another key thing to remember is even in the big districts your vote goes a long way. Some districts elect over 10 representatives, and you get 1 vote for each representative.
The worst thing that can be done to society is for someone to try to help society.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2003, 10:42:16 am »

I'm actually not interested in the more statist pols, I want to find those elected by the weakest margins, and not just them as individuals, but the most 50-50 districts possible that are consistently so from election to election. Those are the districts where we can wedge our candidates in and play the king maker with as few porcs as possible. If our people will vote consistently *together*, then the other candidates are going to find that they need to please US to get elected.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up