Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lakes  (Read 3165 times)

S Michael Moore

• FSP Participant
  • Watch your step, I'm prickly!
    • Fuki Blog
Lakes
« on: December 10, 2003, 06:52:16 pm »

Do the lakes in NH freeze solid (as in solid enough to drive vehicles on)?  I would guess that some of the smaller ones do.  How about the big one, Winnipesaukee?
More and more, when faced with the world of men, the only reaction is one of individualism. Man alone is an end unto himself. Everything one tries to do for the common good ends in failure. -- Albert Camus

Ogre11

• FSP Participant
  • Ok, I'm in. Ready to move yet?
Re:Lakes
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 12:12:16 pm »

The smaller ones definately do.  Even in the south -- there's a small pond (Jackson's pond) in Hudson that has various races (insanctioned) on it yearly.  Of course, every 5 years or so there's the idiot who drives out before it's safe and falls through.  I wonder how the scuba diving is there in the summer?

S Michael Moore

• FSP Participant
    • Fuki Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2003, 01:33:02 pm »

Thanks, that's what I expected.  I lived in New London, CT for 3 1/2 years and we would get ice in the Thames river, so I was sure that lake up there should freeze.  I still wonder about the big lake though.
More and more, when faced with the world of men, the only reaction is one of individualism. Man alone is an end unto himself. Everything one tries to do for the common good ends in failure. -- Albert Camus

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003, 04:06:51 pm »

Do the lakes in NH freeze solid (as in solid enough to drive vehicles on)?  I would guess that some of the smaller ones do.  How about the big one, Winnipesaukee?

Winnepesaukee does freeze if it gets cold enough to do so. The larger a lake is, the bigger its thermal sink, so the longer it takes to get it cold enough to freeze over.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

S Michael Moore

• FSP Participant
    • Fuki Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003, 04:12:18 pm »

Thanks for the info Mike, though I didn't require the third grade lesson in Heat Transfer and Fluid Theory.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2003, 05:06:05 pm »

Thanks for the info Mike, though I didn't require the third grade lesson in Heat Transfer and Fluid Theory.

Sorry, I have no way to know what your educational level is. I try to err on the side of caution, especially considering some of the posts on this forum...
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

S Michael Moore

• FSP Participant
    • Fuki Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2003, 05:25:00 pm »

Sorry, I have no way to know what your educational level is. I try to err on the side of caution, especially considering some of the posts on this forum...

Appology accepted and understood.
Pages: [1]   Go Up