Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Godless Americans March on DC  (Read 8295 times)

Stumpy

• FSP Participant
Re:Godless Americans March on DC
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2002, 05:07:19 pm »

As long as their is such taxation, I do not support special exemptions from taxation for organizations/persons based on their alleged "spiritual" purpose.

There are tax-exempt groups that I vehemently disagree with. I cannot, in good conscience, work toward increasing or adding taxes on them or anyone else.
Libertarianitis - A disease where one is incapable of doing anything other than debate. The sufferer is rendered totally incapable of being constructive and constantly marginalizes him or herself by displays of extreme negativity, bitterness and intransigence.

Able_Reason

• Live Long and Prosper!
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2002, 07:00:30 am »

The site, www.godlessamericans.org doesn't (as far as I've been able to discern) give any instructions on how a solitary person can participate in the march.  I'm not just going to show up and hope that I'm allowed to march with everyone.  I wasn't able to find an email address on the site for posing questions.

I found this on one of the pages
<snip>
...contact me, Ellen Johnson at 973-334-5110 or preferably by e-mail at ej@atheists.org. ...
<snip>
Maybe shoot her an email and see if you get a response.

I posed this same question on some atheist/agnostic forums and I was severely attacked for preferring to march with politically like minded nontheists.  'It's all about unity and your trying to ruin it and make it about politics' and other phrases like that are what I heard.  I realize that the main focus of the march is about wanting equal rights for nontheists, but if within that large group there are subgroups uniting to march together, then what is the harm in wanting to find the one subgroup that I feel that my views best fit with?

IMO, there are many atheists that for the most part, keep their beliefs to themselves, and believe that others should do the same. In a perfect world, this would be the case. However, due to the evangelical nature of some religions, many followers feel it is their duty to impose their beliefs upon others. I think that part of what the organizers of the march are trying to do involves trying to end government subsidization and eliminate the tax breaks that most religious organizations currently enjoy, and in my view that is a perfectly valid reason to support this march.

Thanks!

I wrote to her and she said that it wasn't necessary to march with a group.  People can just show up with their own signs and march.

schm00

• FSP Participant
  • 3583 Bytes Free. OK.
    • Lair of the wiley schm00
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2002, 03:50:04 pm »

I wrote to her and she said that it wasn't necessary to march with a group.  People can just show up with their own signs and march.

Good, I'm planning on being there - If you would like to meet up, let me know. (I dont know anyone there, maybe I know one atheist that I could drag there)

Reaper

• FSP Participant
  • Atheism cures religious terrorism!
    • The Reaper's Den
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2002, 08:19:16 am »

http://washingtontimes.com/metro/20021103-51797129.htm

Did anybody make it there?

Unfortunately, my business allows me almost no time away from the office.   >:(
Reaper
Proud member of the FSP's lunatic fringe!

"If we turn from battle because there is little hope of victory, where then would valor be?  Let it ever be the goal that stirs us, not the odds."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up