Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mike Lorrey on WGXL this morning  (Read 5446 times)

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
Mike Lorrey on WGXL this morning
« on: December 08, 2003, 02:33:49 pm »

I made an appearance on Terri Dudley's radio show, Your Turn, on WTSL/WGXL in Lebanon this morning at 9 am, where we discussed the Free State Project for 45 minutes. It went well, only had a few callers, but Terri was well versed by the time we started and conversation flowed pretty well, despite it being my first radio talk show appearance.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

Kelton Baker

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • Freedom is Free, it's tyranny that costs us dearly
    • Kelton Baker
Re:Mike Lorrey on WGXL this morning
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2003, 06:45:03 pm »

Good to hear it went well,  Mike.   I'm sure you were a good spokesman for us.  Tell us a little more!
Give me some men who are stout-hearted men Who will fight for the right they adore. Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men And I'll soon give you ten thousand more...--O. Hammerstein

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2003, 10:17:57 pm »

Good to hear it went well,  Mike.   I'm sure you were a good spokesman for us.  Tell us a little more!

Well, we opened up with Terri asking me to tell a bit about myself and how I'm involved in the local area, which certainly helped set up the "I'm one of us, not some weird invader" thing. Commercial break...

Then we went into libertarianism, what that is, how it relates to other political parties and philosophies, and had another commercial break. Then we spent the next half hour talking about the Free State Project: where it started, what it was about, how it developed, how NH got selected, and what people are doing about coming here and what they intend to do when they get here.

I made very clear that we were in no way proponents of violent action, contrary to the claims of some democrats, and even emphasized that members of the LPNH are required to sign a statement of non-agression, which no other party requires.

Got one call from an old lady asking what we'd do about politicians that we were against. I said, "we'd try to convince a majority of the populace to vote against him in the next election, or to support a recall, and if we got the votes, we'd be able to make a change."
She said, "well, I'm against that."
I replied, "But isn't that the American Way?"
"Well, yes, I suppose it is, but I'm still against it."
We had some laughs about that...

Terri asked me about the news articles claiming the FSP was targeting Claremont. I cleared up that that was a statement taken out of context, that at our party meeting we were merely talking about what towns might be attractive to western members who might find sticker shock when househunting in some areas of the state.

Terri is a Republican who was originally a Democrat prior to Reagan, went independent then finally wound up a Republican. She sits on the Lebanon City Council and is a member of the NH House of Representatives.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 11:53:54 pm »

Terri asked me about the news articles claiming the FSP was targeting Claremont. I cleared up that that was a statement taken out of context, that at our party meeting we were merely talking about what towns might be attractive to western members who might find sticker shock when househunting in some areas of the state.

That is a good point.  Claremmont, Berlin, and a bunch of other places look nice and low cost.  

Terri is a Republican who was originally a Democrat prior to Reagan, went independent then finally wound up a Republican. She sits on the Lebanon City Council and is a member of the NH House of Representatives.

Mike, this sure is interesting.  She is both on the city council and in the NH House.  She also hosts a daily radio show.  Does she have a 4th job :)
I think it is pretty neat that she holds two offices.  

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 12:27:34 pm »

Mike, this sure is interesting.  She is both on the city council and in the NH House.  She also hosts a daily radio show.  Does she have a 4th job :)
I think it is pretty neat that she holds two offices.  

She IS 75 years old, she ain't as spry as she used to be...

Roycerson

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2003, 09:47:29 am »

Sorry I missed the show the first time around.  I bought a boombox and caught the replay this morning.  Too bad the caller wasn't more articulate.  Would've been better for us if you could have debunked a literate argument.  Keep up the good work.

Correction:  We have 1 member in Claremont (myself).
Jonathon is a libertarian but the latest word from him is he is moving to Florida to manage his sister-in-laws law firm.  That can change at any moment as can most anything he says.  

Correction 2:  There is no "housing project".  He has decided that to preserve  our personal relationship it is best that we have no "business relationship".

I dare not guarantee that either however.

Thanks for the plug.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2003, 09:58:08 am by Roycerson »
He who is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom....Anton LaVey

Morpheus

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2003, 02:14:07 am »

In what direction does she lean?

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2003, 11:05:44 am »

She said that she is a republican and agreed that NH republicans are more libertarian than most, but did not agree with, for instance, medical marijuana, at least that was her indication (she being a member of the House), that the NH does not support medical marijuana.

Roycerson

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2003, 12:05:10 pm »

Which is interesting because she didn't refute the fact that 70% of NH Citizens support Medical Marijuana.  She just said that the legislator doesn't.  Does she not see that as a bad thing?  That the legislator fails to represent the wants of the people.
He who is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom....Anton LaVey

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2003, 12:13:12 pm »

I know, I found that odd as well. She kind of smirked when she said it, too.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2003, 12:57:26 pm »

Apparently my interview is popular at the station. They have rebroadcast it three times on both AM and FM frequencies since our interview.

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2003, 05:54:18 pm »

How common is the practice of rebroadcasting interviews. Good going Mike.  :D

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2003, 06:18:35 pm »

How common is the practice of rebroadcasting interviews. Good going Mike.  :D

Dont' know. Terri told me that they will do this with shows of hers that feature a guest of import to the community (chest puffed out) and as scheduling permits.

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2003, 08:13:04 pm »

*cough* mp3 *cough*  ;)

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2003, 09:22:00 pm »

*cough* mp3 *cough*  ;)

I know, I wish I had taped it myself, because all the links on the web to their station are broke. Think I'll have to call Terri to see what gives...
Pages: [1]   Go Up