Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What about libraries?  (Read 5934 times)

thewaka

• FSP Member
  • FSP Participant
Re:What about libraries?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2003, 08:07:01 pm »

No one really addressed my question about a knowledgeable community. Can I assume that in your free state there will be all levels of income, from poor to wealthy? Do you advocate people having the opportunity to better themselves? Maybe they need to create their own opportunities? Will it be possible to do that in your free state. Will knowledge/education be accessible only to those with funds? Probably, if I understand your philosophy right. A person can work very hard and save the money they need for education and visits to the right kind of library/bookstore. I do see your viewpoint (my father has been a libertarian as long as I can remember and I've grown up around them, I'm registered as one myself). Strange that I've chosen the career I have.

Kat, what attracts you to the FSP? Above, you say "your philosophy." That sounds to me like it isn't your philosophy so I wonder why you are concerned. Possibly you are already in NH so these questions concern you so you don't feel the need to move?

Diana

Kat

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2003, 08:19:03 pm »

Thanks Michael and Dawn, what you propose actually sounds like it might work. Should I post a link to your website on my student listserv? Perhaps those younger than I would be interested.

Diana, I say "your" philosophy as I guess I'm not sure what mine is at the moment. I don't live in NH, I'm just curious about what you all's thinking was on this topic. As far as becoming a member, it's probably not going to happen, my husband's a native Californian and when I mentioned it he said no. Plus, my whole family is here, unless they all moved too   :D !

LeopardPM

• FSP Participant
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2003, 09:22:40 pm »

Kat,
What attracts you to the FSP?

I ask because it really takes alot of thought to understand the workings of how things would look without government involvement... plus it takes courage because it is so easy to subscribe to the 'government is the answer' mentalitity and say, "Those poor down-n-out people, it is our moral duty as a nation to provide welfare/education/healthcare for them" - it gets easier when you think about it and figure out that 'the government' really doesn't do or create anything - it always comes back to people, people who are thinking about themselves and their personal agendas.

sorry about the whole 'california' thing - although it is one of the most beautiful and diverse states in the nation, it is also every libertarian's nightmare... tax hell, inept social programs galore, and now.... the terminator... you have all of our sympathies, but, we will be watching and wishing you well from the Free State... come over and visit in about 10 years... see what people can do when unrestrained by government...

michael
nothing to say...

Kat

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2003, 11:36:45 pm »

Michael,

I tried to think about what attracts me to the FSP and I'm not sure. Maybe starting something new like this, but I don't really know. Thanks for asking because it made me examine my thoughts about it (not that I would really join, I guess).

I'm sure it does take a special person. A courageous and self-confident one.

I accept your sympathies about California on the behalf of me and everyone else living here!

I'll keep up on your project and visit someday.

LeopardPM

• FSP Participant
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2003, 11:45:58 pm »

Kat,
Well, I am glad you are 'touring' the facilities' so to speak - it is very thought provoking... and it could be a good conversation piece - tell some friends, see what they think after browsing the site and forums, most will probably laugh and say 'Frickin' crazies!  Good! put 'em all in one state so we kin keep an eye on 'em!' - either way, couldn't hurt!

Feel free to ask any question regarding anything you may not understand or see possibly working in reality...

michael
nothing to say...

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2003, 06:22:29 pm »

Thanks to all for the responses. New Hampshire sounds intriguing, but probably no place for me  :(  as a children's librarian. Good luck to you on your project!

Kat, think about starting a childrens library, go with a donations model, or whatever means of revenue you think best.  And you know I don't think public libraries  should be out of the question as policy for those who love liberty, if they are funded by the local government.  
                Read the Declaration Of Independence                                                                  
 Government is to be by consent of those it governs,          
     Those giving their consent can lay its foundations on such principles and organize its powers in such forms, as to THEM( not the state, not the FSP) shall seem  most likely to effect their Saftey and Happiness. If people want their government to provide librarys, social insurance, health insurance, parks or midnight basketball, they should be able to do that. On the other hand it would be best for economic reasons, optimal choices and to keep a check on power to keep anything but courts and defense  at the local government level.

skyfaller

• Free culture, free software, free speech
    • Swarthmore Coalition for the Digital Commons
Non-profit and government do not have to be synonymous
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2003, 03:37:41 am »

I do not think that a public library has to be run by the government or funded through taxes.  I think that an NGO, a group of concerned citizens in the community, could and would run a public library without being forced to pay taxes for it.  Having an informed populace is in everyone's best interests.  If we are really going to build communities of activists in the Free State, who are really going to participate in their communities, it shouldn't be hard to get people to donate their time, labor, and books to a free library project.

LeopardPM

• FSP Participant
Re:Non-profit and government do not have to be synonymous
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2003, 08:55:48 am »

I do not think that a public library has to be run by the government or funded through taxes.  I think that an NGO, a group of concerned citizens in the community, could and would run a public library without being forced to pay taxes for it.  Having an informed populace is in everyone's best interests.  If we are really going to build communities of activists in the Free State, who are really going to participate in their communities, it shouldn't be hard to get people to donate their time, labor, and books to a free library project.

note: highlighted sentence is pure opinion - though I believe this opinion to be true, it is NOT a fact in support of any sort of coerced funding for public education or 'informing'.  Hate these 'for the public good', 'whats best for all of us' - it just ain't true.  An informed populace is not necessarily in 'everyones' best interest, an how would any one person know what is in the best interest of any other person or much less an entire population.... sorry, just a pet peeve of mine - going back to troll mode

my best interest is secret,
michael
nothing to say...

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2003, 10:07:43 am »

NH Libraries are a mix. Some are college libraries that are open to the public. Some are town/city libraries that split funding between city government and public fund raising campaigns. Typically the fund raising pays for capital improvements and maintenance, while government funds the librarians salaries.
There are also entirely private libraries open to the public here run as non-profit charities.

The difference between the hybrid libraries and the private libraries is a matter of endowment. If the trustees allowed the endowment to drop below needed levels, or never went about raising the funds in the first place.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up