Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buckle Up...Or Else  (Read 4153 times)

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
Buckle Up...Or Else
« on: November 19, 2003, 03:16:21 pm »

Hey all, this technically isn't related to the FSP, but its a libertarian opinion piece that the Manchester Union Leader ran today:

http://www.theunionleader.com/opinion_show.html?article=29142

Now that we're in-state, we should really start writing LTEs and op-eds.  Sure, I didn't mention the FSP in my article (the one above), but I got in a mention of "libertarian" and I took the side of the majority in my opinion.

Either way, I'm not thrilled with the flow of my piece, its a bit choppy, as I was so excited to cram everything into a one-page article.  Oh well.

Karl

Re:Buckle Up...Or Else
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 03:39:38 pm »

Justin, I thought it was great!  Good work!  I smile each time I image LTEs and op-eds from dozens of liberty activists making it into the mainstream press each week.  I'm convinced these will have a positive effect.  I can't wait to get up there and join in the fun.  ;D

atr

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 04:19:22 pm »

Justin, I thought it was great!  Good work!

I agree! Thanks for fighting the good fight!

Horace the Heathen

• FSP Participant
  • All things are nothing to me.
    • FoneFresh.com
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 05:06:30 pm »

Good stuff, man.
The sacredness of the liberty, and all possible proofs of this sacredness, will never procure it; lamenting and petitioning only shows beggars.

lloydbob1

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 06:08:04 pm »

Great letter Justin!

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2003, 11:54:31 pm »

Thanks, a good tactic is to submit your "letters" as opinion articles rather than LTEs.  I think that op-eds are taken more seriously by readers, so I would advise that we all choose to write op-eds if we have more than a few paragraphs of material to write back.

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2003, 05:18:17 am »

LewRockwell.com just ran an article on the issue of Tougher Seat Belt Laws tuesday. Might do some good to forward it to the local media outlets.

mvpel

• FSP Participant
    • Aidoann
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2003, 10:07:54 pm »

The only problem with living in a state where there's no seat belt law is that I can't mount a constitutional validity challenge to the law based on recent developments in the Supreme Court.

In Cruzan v. Director, Missouri Department of Health, the Supreme Court ruled that the right to informed consent also encompasses the right of refusal of unwanted health measures.

In Echazabal v. Chevron, the federal courts, upheld by the SCOTUS, decried the efforts of Chevron to protect Echazabal (by firing him), a refinery worker, from possible harm from refinery chemicals resulting from his liver condition as "paternalistic."

I think these and other cases could form a basis for a very powerful challenge to the validity of all seatbelt laws nationwide.
New Hampshire Notary Public - Merrimack Valley Area - Silver Accepted

sovereignslave

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2003, 11:44:54 pm »

mvpel states: "The only problem with living in a state where there's no seat belt law is that I can't mount a constitutional validity challenge to the law based on recent developments in the Supreme Court."

The congressional record, based on a proposed seatbelet law, would be an even better place for the record to exemplify basic beliefs in liberty and freedom (rather than in a judical [decree] record).

First, we will not be able to set any kind of LEGAL precedence in which the Courts will then pressure other states to follow.  Quite the contrary, the Courts will be our enemies, particularly since nationalism has swallowed state's rights.  Instead, the state legislature, by its very nature (executive/legislative powers), can trump the courts by setting public policy outside of the Court's reach and within the domain of the people -- its elected representatives and its Halls of Record.

I take it from your above quote that you are a lawyer?; you state that you ("I") cannot mount a challenge ... -- .  I suggest that, if you are a lawyer, AND if you are a real libertarian with principle (such as those of the Const. Party) you will agree that the last place we want any of our issues to be is in the hands of lawyers, the BAR, and the activist courts.  Even if you were able to successfully defeat a seatbelt law, based on libertarian constitutional values, that very ruling leaves the concept of freedom within the domain of our judicial system, defeating the whole idea of liberty.

I will tell you what will happen if we allow the Courts to maintain their hold on alloting freedoms:  The state, NH, will face a major lawsuit for wrongful death based on public irresponsibility for their not being a seatbelt law.  This is an excellent example of why FSP must develope core values and in fact include exclusionary laws based on behavioral types.  True libertarinism, like true communism, is impossible in practice; one must take into consideration the human element and mark uncrossable lines, and that takes values -- ethics.
Pages: [1]   Go Up