Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Don't enroll your children in the public schools  (Read 24747 times)

K. Boyle

Re:Don't enroll your children in the public schools
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2004, 12:48:54 pm »

Co-housing? What about co-schooling? I want to homeschool, but my daughter is the type of child that must have other children around. Would it be hard to get a group of parents together to co-teach the children? Just a thought.
When was the dream realized? Has the thoughts from the previous night awakened with the dawn? Can you imagine a world of dreams that have taken on a life of their own? When these questions are answered, you have the basis for a mighty quest of freedom.

jeanius

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2004, 08:52:35 am »

I am hearing, and have been hearing for awhile, the same sorts of things.  There are a bunch of folk interested in group or co-schooling situations.  I think this will evolve naturally as we move to NH.  I personally don't believe that education training is necessary to teach our children.  As someone pointed out they are naturally inquisitive.  I find, in homeschooling my two older children, that having interesting materials and resources available and staying out of the way does wonders.  It is amazing how much they learn without my help and our structured time gets big benefits too!

Jean

Dawn

• FSP Participant
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2004, 11:04:41 pm »

I've been homeschooling my kids for 6 years now. Well, mostly they homeschool themselves - I try to stay out of the way, for the most part.

I'm not sure what the homeschooling community is like in NH, but I assume it's pretty similar to CT. Except for the lousy homeschool laws!

But, when you think of homeschooling, I suggest NOT thinking of bringing the public school type of "schooling" into your home. Yuck! Instead, think of basically extending what you do with your kids when they're preschoolers. There are tons of different ways to homeschool. You can use a curriculum - there are many available. You can go the eclectic route - use a little bit of this and a little bit of that. You can go the unschooling or self-directed learning route (that's what we love!). Or combine the 3 in different variations.

We don't spend an awful lot of time at home doing school work. As little as possible! We do lots of stuff with other people. We go to a friend's house for book club. We go to a monthly homeschool meeting. We go on field trips. We go to the library. They do gymnastics 2 or 3 days a week. They are in two girl scout troops. We do volunteer work.

Some of us have talked about starting a Liberty Learning Center. The vision is not firmed up, but it would probably be a facility for self-directed learners to enjoy themselves at. It could be for all ages and offer a wide variety of "courses", either structured or very informal, depending on the instructor and/or what the students want. There are so many wonderful possibilities!

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2004, 11:10:11 pm »

Co-schooling is a term I've used before to describe co-operative or community schools. It is certainly an important part of a co-operative community.

Think of the typical co-housing community with it's "common house". Make that common house a tad bit larger (perhaps very larger) and put inside it offices and workspace (perhaps a bandwidth co-op for telecommuters, or doctor's and dentist's offices?) for adults and daycare/schoolrooms for the kids. You could visit your kids on your coffee and lunch breaks.

Btw, Mike Lorrey has posted elsewhere that he is trying to get Patri Friedman (grandson of nobel prize-winner economist Milton Freidman) to attend the FSP Fest. Patri has a webpage describing his own attempt to organize of a co-operative: alpinebutterfly.org.

Does anybody think we should organize a thread somewhere else to gather resources and information on this subject? I might even be creating a separate webboard devoted to this subject soon if there is enough interest.

mark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2004, 11:12:38 pm »

One more thing. Who would like to go in on $2,500,000 worth of lakefront property. It's an established resort/summer camp in Andover, NH 30 minutes north of Concord.

:D

Bruce_Morgan

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a Porcupine!
    • DevTech Services
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2004, 11:34:24 pm »

And here I am with my eye on a former Kingdom Hall in Gorham for $120,000.  I guess I just don't dream big enough!  :P

We're set on living in Coos County, particularly around Gorham, but the nearest Montessori school is in Intervale, part of North Conway, and I don't have the time or skills to start a Montessori school.  I'd consider buying this place and leasing it out at a loss if I had a commitment from someone who would operate a Montessori school from it (ahem, ahem!)

Just this afternoon, Devera and I were discussing how we are going to handle Gabriel's and Elizabeth's educations.  Our decision was that if we homeschool again, it would be adequate, but it would be best if we get both of them back into a Montessori school.  Now that we're getting down to brass tacks and this move is turning into reality, this is way tougher than I thought it would be.

mark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2004, 11:42:28 pm »

Nice view!  :D

Btw Bruce, that $2,500,000 not only includes 236 acres with 1 mile of lakefront property but also multiple residences.  :D

25 households could buy in with $100,000 each and run the resort as an income generating business while developing sub-lots.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 11:45:33 pm by mark »

Bruce_Morgan

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a Porcupine!
    • DevTech Services
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2004, 11:54:12 pm »

Yes, indeed!   ;D

What's really intriguing is that this building has an upstairs apartment.  Advantages:

1.  The "schoolmarm" and her brood could live onsite in the apartment
2.  He/she could make money from the school
3.  They'd have low overhead since we would negotiate a reduced lease amount
4.  MY kids could attend at a reduced rate
5.  The house we're looking at is just two blocks from this building!

Bruce_Morgan

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a Porcupine!
    • DevTech Services
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2004, 11:58:18 pm »

mark,

The problem is getting 25 Porcupines to work together on a daily basis.  I just don't think it will happen.  The folks who are Porcupine material and able to make things happen don't work well with others.  If there could be some arrangement where 1 takes command, and the other 24 of them invest and keep their mouths shut, it might work.

Not that it's impossible; just more than I would be willing to risk my money on.  If I had 2.5M that I wouldn't mind losing on a low-return investment like that, I'd consider it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 11:59:22 pm by Bruce_Morgan »

mark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2004, 12:19:02 am »

mark,

The problem is getting 25 Porcupines to work together on a daily basis.  I just don't think it will happen.  The folks who are Porcupine material and able to make things happen don't work well with others.  If there could be some arrangement where 1 takes command, and the other 24 of them invest and keep their mouths shut, it might work.

Ooooh. A challenge!  ;D

mark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2004, 06:28:47 am »

Ooooh. And as a counter to Bruce's cynicism, some FSP essays.  ;)

Freedom of Association and Counter-Parasitism
by Steve Cobb, February 2002[/b]

"When bad men combine, the good must associate;
else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
--Edmund Burke "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontent"

The First Dimension of Association
by Steve Cobb, March 2002[/b]

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania

Corollary: They that can give up essential liberty to obtain anything deserve neither it nor liberty, nor will they probably get it.

Trading Trash for the Pearl of Great Price
by Nixicat Chesnavich, November 2002[/b]

"We do not belong here anymore. We have both been craving a community of people that have enough courage in their convictions to make a serious gamble on them. I have found that in my fellow Porcupines. I would give my life for this hope that we can carve out a place for ourselves. And I think enough others feel the same way that I do that we have a real shot. Tears flow free down my cheeks when I stop to contemplate what we can accomplish if we only dare."

« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 06:50:22 am by mark »

Bruce_Morgan

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a Porcupine!
    • DevTech Services
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2004, 08:02:31 am »

marc,

It's less cynicism and more realism learned from experience and observation.  I didn't say it was impossible, just risky, difficult, and low yield.  These articles don't really counter that, or give proof of such.  The trick is to get people of like mind concentrated in an area so that their natural selfish tendencies complement each other.  Getting them to cooperate beyond that is going to be near impossible, particularly given the Porcupine mindset.

Don't get me wrong, though.  I'd love for you to prove me wrong and for Porcupine Plantation to become the cultural and financial capitol of New Hampshire!

Bruce's #1 rule for successful business partnerships:  Don't partner with anyone you're not married to.

mark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2004, 09:15:35 am »

Bruce, you wrote "and able to make things happen don't work well with others." The people that can make things happen are either of the rich kind of successful persons, and I would agree with you they don't need to work well with others to make things happen, or of the talented kind of successful persons. The talented successful person by nature works well with others as that's how they usually become successful. It's a result of exploiting the division of labor and specialization factor so important to economic productivity.

That being said I would agree that too many little indian chiefs would pose a problem to a group effort. I think sociology puts the limit at 5 individuals before splinter groupings occur. A solution to this problem is the same division of labor and specialization useful for economic production but in this case it is applied to goals to pre-qualify partners. You simply work with people that don't have strong counter-goals to your primary interests (or even care about them at all) but can take advantage of them as a positive externality to support their parallel goals.

Margot Keyes (SUNSHINE)

• Greeter Coordinator
  • FSP Participant
  • Mama of a prickle of four porcupine pups
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2004, 02:06:50 am »

Hey folks - around here in twin cities MN, folks converted an old flour mill to be a museum, I believe privately held, in fact.

What about bringing prosperity to some of the smaller towns who have mills that no longer maintain their original function, but could be converted to living quarters/a Montessori school (of which my four daugthers could attend!)/ doctors, dentists or other professionals' offices/coffee house/ bookstore/you name it.  Convert a mill, provide jobs for a small town, create a life of community and fellowship for ourselves and our children. It is my hubby's idea actually and we may not be millionaires (YET!) with money to throw away, but we aren't going to throw away our dreams for a better life either.  We are willing to do whatever we can with 25 others or 25,000 others who can work together in such endeavors.  Let's keep brainstorming!  Any thoughts???

SUNSHINE
Any alleged 'right' of one man, which necessitates the violation of the rights of another, is not and cannot be a right.
-- Ayn Rand

mark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2004, 02:48:37 am »

SUNSHINE, um, YEAH!  :D

Btw, I love your nickname. I don't care, I'm still a hippie at heart.  ;D

But seriously it doesn't matter what challenges we face as I trust everybody that shares our ideas are smart people and will offer a wonderful vision.

ps Is there a town you had in mind Sunshine?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 02:50:09 am by mark »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

anything