Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Forget Keene, BOW is the Town to Move to!  (Read 17518 times)

Blain

• FSP Participant
  • Liberty or Death!
    • Infowars
Forget Keene, BOW is the Town to Move to!
« on: November 13, 2003, 05:32:22 pm »

http://www.bow-nh.com/

Check out all the advantages of Bow!  This is where I plan to move when I get to NH.  It is a nice small town with the quiet free atmosphere that everyone loves, plus it is near some of NH's major metro areas.  Why wouldn't one want to live in Bow?  What advantages does Keene have over Bow?  Can't go out shooting in your back yard in an urban area like Keene!  

The Bow Advantage
Add the benefits of locating a business in New Hampshire with the following factors and you'll discover Bow's economic and business development advantage.
no sales tax + no personal income tax  + a lower cost of living + high quality of life + high work ethic
+low unemployment tax + a well-educated population
+ a central location = a fruitful economy!

Sounds good to me!  

Population:  
Community: 7,138 (2000)
Merrimack County: 125,927

Location:5 miles South of Concord, 20 miles from Manchester, 70 Miles from Boston.

Elevation: 603 feet  

Temperature (degrees F):
Annual Average: 50 degrees  
July Average: 70  
January Average: 22  
Annual Precipitation: 39.8 in  

Labor Market Area: Concord  

Income (1990)
Per Capita Income: 19,752  
Median Household Income: 54,633  
Average Weekly Wage: 533

Predominant Industry:  Light industrial, technological

Industrially Zoned Area: 550 acres

Local Chamber of Commerce: Greater Concord

Health Care Concord Hospital in Concord, NH is 2 miles away, with a minimum of 211 beds
Level II Trauma Center, 24-Hour
Emergency Services
8 doctors working in town
Over 200 physicians in 28 medical specialty areas throughout the area

Utilities
Water Limited water service is in place along Hall Street. The Town is currently studying ways to provide water service to other business areas of Town.  

Sewer Hall Street, the north end of NH Route 3A, South Street, and Logging Hill Roads currently have sewer service.  Additional capacity is available and extensions are permittable.  

Natural Gas   EnergyNorth Natural Gas provides gas service in Bow.  

Electricity   Unitil provides electrical service to most of Bow.  The Town is examining how to ensure that adequate service is available to all business areas.

Telephone Switching Digital

Cellular Phone Yes

Cable Television  Media One has the cable television franchise for the Town of Bow.  

Municipal Services  
Planning Board: Appointed. Industrial plans reviewed by planning board.  
Zoning: 1955/96  
Master Plan: 1992  
Capital Improvement Plan: 1996  
Full-Time Police Department: Yes, Bow Police Department.  
Also: Concord Police Department Concord, NH  
State Police of New Hampshire Barracks  
Full-Time Fire Department: Yes, Bow Volunteer Fire & Rescue.
and Concord Fire Department

Libraries Baker Free Library. Concord Public Library. New Hampshire State Library

Banks Bow Mills Bank and Trust

Newspapers Bow Times, Published weekly. Concord Monitor, Published daily. Manchester Union Leader, Published daily.  

Airports Concord Municipal Airport, Manchester Airport, and Logan International Airport (Boston, MA)

« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 05:36:43 pm by Blain »
The following flash movie sums up values.
http://www.isil.org/resources/introduction.swf

"A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares about more than he does his own personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made an

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
Re:Forget Keene, BOW is the Town to Move to!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 06:38:33 pm »

2002 Total Tax Rate of $23.15 per $1,000 valuation is'nt that bad either. On the low side of NH property taxes actually. The yearly town budget of just under $6,000,000 seems rather bloated for a town that can't (or won't) provide full municipal services to the entire area.

ps Community profiles for all NH towns can be found here: NH Community Profiles
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 06:42:13 pm by mark »

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2003, 04:35:58 am »

So,

What?
3,000 of us move there, and by sheer number eliminate the local public school, Eliminate Local zoning laws, eliminate local building codes and regulations, and eliminate property taxes. It's bloated, so after we make all those reforms we can probably cut the new budget in half on top of those spending cuts I mentioned. (We can leave the current local excise taxes on motels and resteraunts.) But we can work to lower them too.

Our Rep, and Senator can go to the State capital and try to eliminate the State-Wide property tax.

Sounds good. You think we can coordinate 3,000 of the 20,000 to move there?

Frankly, I don't think it matters where we go. But I would hope, that their would be one town that some of us might choose to move to where we could pretty much take over (by simply voting) to libertarianize that city.

Tracy Saboe
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

JasonM

• FSP Participant
  • Suceed or Fail, We'll not regret being part of FSP
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2003, 08:17:28 am »

You're absolutely right, Bow is perfect.

Bow, NH - http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=M7tNO.p_0TqT&csz=Bow%2C+NH&country=us

Near Manchester AND Concord the capital of NH!
Here are some driving times to different cities.

To Concord the capital - 5.8 miles, 11 minutes driving (probaby 8 for me)
http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?ed=xTowJeV.wimQQVd6MsEKU7USFw--&csz=Bow%2C+NH&country=us&tcsz=Concord%2C+NH&tcountry=us

To Manchester - 16.1 miles, 27 minutes driving (less then 20 for me)
http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?ed=xTowJeV.wimQQVd6MsEKU7USFw--&csz=Bow%2C+NH&country=us&tcsz=Manchester%2C+NH&tcountry=us

To Nashua - 33.9 miles, 53 minutes driving (probably <40 for me)
http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?ed=xTowJeV.wimQQVd6MsEKU7USFw--&csz=Bow%2C+NH&country=us&tcsz=Nashua%2C+NH&tcountry=us

To Keene - 53.3 miles, 1 hour 26 mins (probably ~1 hour for me)
http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?ed=xTowJeV.wimQQVd6MsEKU7USFw--&csz=Bow%2C+NH&country=us&tcsz=Keene%2C+NH&tcountry=us

To Boston - 66.9 miles, 1 hour 31 mins (probably ~1 hour for me)
http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?ed=xTowJeV.wimQQVd6MsEKU7USFw--&csz=Bow%2C+NH&country=us&tcsz=Boston%2C+MA&tcountry=us

I like this idea, and I may be part of the Bow crowd, good idea.  Near the capital and the largest city, as well as a national park.  
Jason on www.freestatecafe.org forums.

BillG

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2003, 09:17:45 am »

2002 Total Tax Rate of $23.15 per $1,000 valuation is'nt that bad either. On the low side of NH property taxes actually. The yearly town budget of just under $6,000,000 seems rather bloated for a town that can't (or won't) provide full municipal services to the entire area.

ps Community profiles for all NH towns can be found here: NH Community Profiles

I believe the reason why is a power plant supplies a significant portion of the tax base...

also, housing costs are significant in this part of the state although less than closer to the Ma. border for obvious reasons...

Look at the median income:

Per capita income $29,557
Median 4-person family income $83,567
Median household income $79,329

Median Earnings, full-time, year-round workers
Male $60,375
Female $30,929

Families below the poverty level 2.0%
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 09:23:59 am by BillG (not Gates) »

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2003, 10:57:28 am »

Bow is a pretty town, but there's not much there.

Keene offers theatre, an upgrade jazz tavern, a lively downtown, well traveled city square for demonstrations, 4 colleges, lots of shopping, and the town is FULL of pretty college girls from Sept to May. What else do you need? ;)

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

JasonM

• FSP Participant
  • Suceed or Fail, We'll not regret being part of FSP
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2003, 05:41:06 pm »

Bow is a pretty town, but there's not much there.

Keene offers theatre, an upgrade jazz tavern, a lively downtown, well traveled city square for demonstrations, 4 colleges, lots of shopping, and the town is FULL of pretty college girls from Sept to May. What else do you need? ;)

JM

Yes, while that's true that Keene might be a nice all inclosed community, there's a reason there probably isn't much in Bow besides people living there.  It's only 10 minutes to the capital!, and 25 minutes to Manchester!  You have two large cities near by, not to mention the fact that if we're going to be active in politics, it's probably fairly smart to be near the capitol.  

Bow allows a little seperation from city life, but makes it highly accessable at the same time.

I'd really like to see a split between Keene and Bow.  I really hope our members don't just go to random cities all over NH since the project will become less powerfull without large concentrations.
Jason on www.freestatecafe.org forums.

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2003, 07:11:03 pm »

Actually, being spread out is ok.. Even a few dozen activists in any given area is going to be able to make a huge difference. Remember- we are activists - not just voters.

But, I just found out today that a new ski area is going to be opening in Keene... Another reason to come here! :d

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

Ogre11

• FSP Participant
  • Ok, I'm in. Ready to move yet?
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2003, 11:44:51 am »

I'd really like to see a split between Keene and Bow.  I really hope our members don't just go to random cities all over NH since the project will become less powerfull without large concentrations.

I'm going with the random approach.  Big wall map + dartboard.  :)  (j/k)

I'm going wherever I can locate a job.  I've been looking for a couple months now, and I'm exploring starting a new business or two.  All the businesses I'm considering require a good size customer base, so I'm looking towards the larger areas.  11 minutes to the capital would work just fine.  I'll add Bow to the business market analysis lists.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2003, 11:56:28 am »

I'd like to recruit some people to move to Lebanon or Hanover, where I hope to be able to move. ;)  Of course, if I can't move there, then the next best bet is Durham.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

DadELK68

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2003, 12:57:45 pm »

...I really hope our members don't just go to random cities all over NH since the project will become less powerfull without large concentrations.

I tend to disagree - if you put ~20,000 Porcupines into a handful of communities you may be able to completely dominate things locally but will only get a handful of state senators and probably a couple of dozen state reps.

On the other hand, using the Liberty Index it seems apparent that there are many cities/towns/districts in which 50-500 activists could quickly have a huge impact (although not dominating with overwhelming numbers) by essentially controlling who is sent from the house and senate district to Concord (see discussions of using primaries and political parties) - having everyone distributed across the state will lead to greater influence on the state level more quickly. Overwhelming dominance of a few communities would be a good idea, but widely distributed influence first has to be a priority in order to allow those dominated communities the freedom to experiment.

I would argue that state-level influence is more important up-front than is strictly local power - if a community is bucking the state, everything gets drawn out in the courts. If you can accomplish devolution of power from the state to the local level up-front, then local activists will have the freedom to accomplish a great deal more reform, much more quickly. From there, having certain communities targeted for more dense immigration and local domination will allow for models to which the other towns can look for ideas.

Eric

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2003, 07:46:17 pm »

I'd like to recruit some people to move to Lebanon or Hanover, where I hope to be able to move. ;)  Of course, if I can't move there, then the next best bet is Durham.

Why those three?

Tracy
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

Ogre11

• FSP Participant
  • Ok, I'm in. Ready to move yet?
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2003, 07:17:54 am »

Perhaps the industry there.  I'm looking carefully at that area because of Darmouth College and the related industries there.

BillG

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2003, 12:48:19 pm »

Jason-

How can the FSP work to end funding of higher education at our state university in Durham if that means you will lose your job?

;D

Karl

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2003, 01:11:42 pm »

Jason-

How can the FSP work to end funding of higher education at our state university in Durham if that means you will lose your job?

;D

Why would he lose his job?  Last time I checked, private univesities needed instructors every bit as much as government universities.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up