Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Weather  (Read 14400 times)

<Patrick>

• FSP Participant
  • Radical Capitalist
    • Ayn Rand Institute
Weather
« on: November 12, 2003, 05:21:23 pm »

My wife and I are moving to the Free State as soon as I get my BA. Could anyone here from New Hampshire tell me a little about the weather and climate, so I know what to expect?
"I came here to say that I do not recognize anyone’s right to one minute of my life.  Nor to any part of my energy.  Nor to any achievement of mine… I wished to come here and say that I am a man who does not exist for others."
-Ayn Rand
http://www.aynrand.org
http://capitalism.org

SethA

• FSP Participant
Re:Weather
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2003, 07:48:34 pm »

Take a look at www.weatherlook.com a private weather site in NH for some good info. In general the mildest weather is in the Durham-Dover area and around the seacoast.

<Patrick>

• FSP Participant
  • Radical Capitalist
    • Ayn Rand Institute
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 06:01:04 am »

Thanks!
"I came here to say that I do not recognize anyone’s right to one minute of my life.  Nor to any part of my energy.  Nor to any achievement of mine… I wished to come here and say that I am a man who does not exist for others."
-Ayn Rand

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 05:38:53 pm »

We've got four seasons just like everywhere else, only more so. Our seasons are:

Mud Season: what other people call Spring. There's an old story about a coupla NH geezers sitting out front of a general store when the saw a small object coming up the muddy lane during one particularly muddy Mud Season. As it got closer, they noticed it was a hat, on the ground, moving along over the mud. As it came up in front of the store, one of the geezers, named Tink Allen, recognised the hat as belonging to his friend, Stumpy Townsend. He got up and waded out to pick up the hat, only to find the head of his friend under the hat.
"Stumpy, wot the heck is it that you're doing down there in the mud?" Tink asked.
"By the geezus, Tink, you wouldn't believe it, but this mud is somethin' wicked, it's so by as my horse is undaneath me."

Summer, known around here as Bug Season: NH would have selected the mosquito as the state bird, but Maine beat us to it. Bug season starts out with the black flies. These are nasty little critters that start to appear in May and in wilder areas persist until the end of June. Mosquitos appear in June and persist, depending on how wet the Bug Season is, till August, sometimes till October. No-see-ums are even smaller than black flies, so small that normally you don't see-um until they've settle down into your skin for a good bite. Then you've got deer flies and horse files to deal with. Horse flies like to harrass your head when you are swimming, and deer flies are common in woody areas in the height of summer. Ticks like to drop on you from trees, and are known to occasionally carry Lyme Disease. The prevalence of ticks varies with the cycles of mice and deer populations and infestations, as well as crops of acorns and beechnuts these animals feed on. On the flip side, lots of bugs means lots of fishing. For the fly fisherman, some of the best fly fishing in the world is here in NH, whether it is lake fishing for bass, perch, sturgeon, lake trout, steelhead and landlocked salmon, or river fishing for brookies, rainbow,  brown trout, or atlantic salmon, as well as seasonal shad (a large sardine variant) runs.

Fall is glorious in NH. Few places in the world compare to fall colors in northern new england. Plus you have hay rides, bonfires, traditional new england trick or treating, apple harvesting, county fairs. Fall is certainly the best season for rural NH. Fall is also hunting season, starting with grouse, duck, woodcock, pheasant, and goose seasons, Turkey seasons in the spring and fall, bear and moose season, bow, muzzleloader, and rifle deer seasons, as well as open seasons on coyote, boar, and several other nuisance species.

Winter is skiing and hockey season, with late winter being the domain of mapling season, when the maple syrup crop is collected.

Temperatures: summer temps have not exceeded 100 in a number of years, typically they peak out in the 90's in late July and early August. Winter temps rarely go below zero F, typically only with occasional blizzards sweeping in from Canada. Winter snow accumulations will range at any given time from a few inches on the ground to as much as 3 feet in the south, and as much as 10 feet in the northern extreme of the state. NH averages higher than typical humidity, and gets 39 inches of precipitation a year.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

<Patrick>

• FSP Participant
  • Radical Capitalist
    • Ayn Rand Institute
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 04:50:52 am »

Thanks, I appreciate all the detailed information.

-Ayn Rand

freedomroad

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 02:18:09 am »

My wife and I are moving to the Free State as soon as I get my BA. Could anyone here from New Hampshire tell me a little about the weather and climate, so I know what to expect?

Note, you might also want to check the 3 climate reports.  They cover all 10 possible states but include much detail on NH.

http://freestateproject.org/climate.htm

http://freestateproject.org/climateaddendum.htm

http://freestateproject.org/climate3.htm

beyond_mediocrity

• FSP Participant
  • Reason is the Only Absolute.
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2003, 12:37:41 am »

How about road conditions especially during winter?  Is it horrible?  Were there any floods that took place there recently?

If one wishes to advocate a free society--that is, capitalism---one must realize that its indispensable foundation is the principle of individual rights. - Ayn Rand, Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2003, 11:16:13 am »

No, not that I am aware of. We have had lots of rain all year, so the ground is saturated. If we get lots of snow this winter I expect that the thaw in spring will bring some flooding.

The state of NH takes very good care of its roads, a fact which is commented on by many travel publications and reviewers. Our plow crews are on 24 hour standby in winter and are always going around salting and sanding. The only thing to be concerned about is that they plow so frequently that I sometimes see flatlanders run off the road because they get overconfident and hit an occasional patch of black ice. A cleared road does not mean you can safely operate at or above the posted speed limit in the winter.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 11:16:45 am by Mike Lorrey »
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

JasonM

• FSP Participant
  • Suceed or Fail, We'll not regret being part of FSP
Jason on www.freestatecafe.org forums.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2003, 08:40:41 pm »

Aw, well, it is certainly a good excuse to call in sick and just sit by the fire...

Protoman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2003, 08:10:56 am »

What is the summer heat like? Is it muggy and humid or moderate?

Do you have to deal with a lot of fleas or ants?

Those things really pestered me in california but I'm glad the weather is too cold where I now live in Washington state.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2003, 02:51:41 pm »

What is the summer heat like? Is it muggy and humid or moderate?

Do you have to deal with a lot of fleas or ants?

Those things really pestered me in california but I'm glad the weather is too cold where I now live in Washington state.

Summers can be muggy, especially when the wind dies, but not always, though temps don't generally go over the mid 90's in the peak of summer. Last time it was over 100 was when I was a youngster. Dogs without protection who spend time outdoors can pick up fleas. Ants are only a problem if you do not store your food and clean your kitchen properly. The cold winters keep these populations in check here.

Non-Conformer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2004, 10:22:11 am »

YIKES!!!!    :o
It's 30 below zero today in NH!   I had one helluva time convincing my wife to move to NH for the cause of freedom.  But this blizzard isn't helping things one bit!

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2004, 10:26:18 am »

YIKES!!!!    :o
It's 30 below zero today in NH!   I had one helluva time convincing my wife to move to NH for the cause of freedom.  But this blizzard isn't helping things one bit!

Nah, it's only -3 in Manchester according to weather.com, wind chill -20.  Wind chill is -8 here in New Haven, and it's snowing, but I've already walked a mile and a half in it today.  No problemo! ;D
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2004, 10:26:37 am »

It's -30 to -50 here in Vermont right now.

bleh.

Do NOT be discouraged!  Last winter and this winter are the worst Vermont has seen in several decades.
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up