Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Weather  (Read 14369 times)

Karl

Re:Weather
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2004, 10:36:05 am »

It's -30 to -50 here in Vermont right now.

bleh.

Do NOT be discouraged!  Last winter and this winter are the worst Vermont has seen in several decades.

That CAN'T be right!  I have been told we are experiencing "global warming" by many people.

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2004, 11:31:47 am »

That CAN'T be right!  I have been told we are experiencing "global warming" by many people.

Yeah, probably by the same people who say that carbon dioxide, which kills no one, is worse than smog, which kills 200,000 people per year across the globe.  Under this logic, a Volkswagen Beetle Turbo Diesel Injection engine is good for the environment because of the higher gas milage, even though it gives off 50-times more smog than my Honda Insight.  :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 11:32:18 am by LeRuineur6 »
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2004, 12:01:37 pm »

If there is global warming, I want to know what globe they are talking about.

Now, I'm at 1230 feet altitude at the moment, so I'm a bit above the snowline. I hear the lower elevations are snow-less and a bit warmer. However, it is so cold today that my Labrador does not like going outside just to pee. Labs were bred to LIKE the cold.
I normally have to keep her on a leash when we go out, else she will run off and have fun all day, get in trouble, etc. Today I had to keep her on a leash to keep her out long enough to do her business.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
  • I just *love* it when Hank and Dagny brainstorm!
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2004, 01:22:43 pm »

Here in Dover it was a balmy +1 degree F when I went out for lunch. The sun felt nice, though.  8)
If everyone were rich there would be no need for government assistance. If everyone were rich all children could attend private schools. If everyone were rich, government would become superfluous. Read the free e-book at this site:

http://www.scienceofgettingrich.net

Garthnak

• FSP Participant
  • Small "L" llamatarian
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2004, 01:53:21 pm »

And here in Fullerton, California, it's 62 degrees.  And folks around here consider that "cold".

Honestly, the weather in NH is the main reason people I know look at me like I'm crazy when I say I'm going to be moving to New Hampshire.  It's very difficult to leave this beautiful weather behind.  I know that NH has it's own beautiful seasons, but for someone accustomed to temperature ranges of 50 to 100, it's a frightening proposition.  Our blood is not prepared for the shock of a long, cold winter.  It will take quite a bit of time (I surmise) to adapt.

But liberty is worth it.

Penfist

• FSP Participant
  • Work together to build something that lasts.
    • Penfist
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2004, 02:33:36 pm »

Larger Canadian cities have thought of the answer to winter. Most of their downtown buildings are connected by walkways and underground tunnels. It's very easy to spend an entire winter indoors without ever putting on a jacket.

No reason why the same thing couldn't happen in New Hampshire.

And here in Fullerton, California, it's 62 degrees.  And folks around here consider that "cold".

Honestly, the weather in NH is the main reason people I know look at me like I'm crazy when I say I'm going to be moving to New Hampshire.  It's very difficult to leave this beautiful weather behind.  I know that NH has it's own beautiful seasons, but for someone accustomed to temperature ranges of 50 to 100, it's a frightening proposition.  Our blood is not prepared for the shock of a long, cold winter.  It will take quite a bit of time (I surmise) to adapt.

But liberty is worth it.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2004, 03:14:28 pm »

Well, we do dress warmly and stay inside as much as possible. Eventually you get used to it, esp if you get into winter sports like skiing and/or snowmobiling, hockey, etc.
Just crank up the stove and stay indoors.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

freedomroad

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2004, 04:36:56 pm »

I heard on the Weather channel that it was going to be colder than -100 with the wind cool on Mt. Washington (-25 in Manchester) today.  Is there any time of year when people can actually climb Mt. Washington?

I guess the FSP should put out most of its ads in the Spring, Summer, and Fall and do mostly planning in the Winter.  In Memphis it was 62 yesterday and the next couple days are 50 and 57 for highs.  Much of the country is even warmer.  I could not imagine moving to NH in the Winter.

If nothing else, the cold winter weather will hurt the FSP's ability to recruit from the large pool of poor urban anarchist that often move from city to city.

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
  • I just *love* it when Hank and Dagny brainstorm!
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2004, 04:56:37 pm »

Is there any time of year when people can actually climb Mt. Washington?

Sure, people climb Mount Washington throughout the year. Hiking can be done in the winter. One of the nicest hikes I ever did was a trek up Mount Major last February. The temperature was about -5 degrees that day, and windy too, but I had a great time anyway. Dress properly and you're good to go. (Those who do not dress properly often perish on Mt. Washington, though.)  :o
If everyone were rich there would be no need for government assistance. If everyone were rich all children could attend private schools. If everyone were rich, government would become superfluous. Read the free e-book at this site:

http://www.scienceofgettingrich.net

FreeBoB

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2004, 04:59:11 pm »

Having been born in MA and lived in RI and now NY, I am used to the seasons.  I enjoy them, though I do spend most of my days indoors in the coldest of the winter.  A walk to the post office with my dog is enough of the cold weather for me.  Seasons come and go fast, like life, but most of the year is very, very pleasant here in the Northeast!  If you care more about weather than freedom, don't move, or you could just wait for freedom to spread...maybe it will reach CA by 2050!

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2004, 07:59:17 am »

Larger Canadian cities have thought of the answer to winter. Most of their downtown buildings are connected by walkways and underground tunnels. It's very easy to spend an entire winter indoors without ever putting on a jacket.

No reason why the same thing couldn't happen in New Hampshire.

Don't worry guys, I'll have plenty of indoor water parks ready for ya in the Monadnock Valley Development. Complete with Hootersesqe hostesses in sling-shot bikinis. Hey, I know the FSP demographics.  ;)

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2004, 08:01:04 am »

If you care more about weather than freedom, don't move, or you could just wait for freedom to spread...maybe it will reach CA by 2050!

Nah, California will have fallen into the Pacific ocean by then. Or covered in 10 feet of volcanic ash when the state of Wyoming explodes.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 03:01:13 pm by mark »

lloydbob1

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2004, 10:28:03 am »

60 degrees F.
Southern Californians shiver uncontollably.
People in New Hampshire sunbathe.

50*F.
New Yorkers try to turn on the heat.
People in New Hampshire plant gardens.

40*F.
Italian & English cars won't start.
People in New Hampshire drive with the windows open.

32*F.
Distilled water freezes.
Lake Winnipesaukee's water gets thicker.

20*F.
Floridians don coats, thermal underware, gloves and fur hats.
People in New Hampshire put on a flannel shirt.

15*F.
New York landlords finally turn up the heat.
People in New Hampshire have the last cookout before it gets cold.

0*F.
All the people in Miami die.
People in New Hampshire close their windows.

10* below zero
Californians fly away to Mexico.
Girl Scouts in New Hampshire sell cookies door to door.

25* below zero
Hollywood disintergrates.
People in New Hampshire get out their winter coats.

40* below zero
Washington D.C. runs out of hot air.
People in New Hampshire let the dogs sleep indoors.

100* below zero
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
People in New Hampshire get frustrated because they can't start their "Kahs".

400* below zero
All atomic motion stops ( absolute zero on the Kelvin scale).
People in New Hampshire start saying..."Cold 'nuff for Ya?"

500* below zero
Hell freezes over.  The Red Sox win the World Series!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 10:29:37 am by Lloyd Danforth (lloydbob1) »

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2004, 12:31:12 pm »

FANTASTIC! Where did you get this?

lloydbob1

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2004, 02:42:48 pm »

FANTASTIC! Where did you get this?

I appropriated it from an email sent to me, changed it from New Englanders to People from NH.
LLoyd
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up