Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Re:Some Thoughts on Publicity  (Read 14183 times)

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
Re:Some Thoughts on Publicity
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2003, 01:33:28 pm »

Personally, I would like to see us doing "shadow advertising".  Everytime there is some big crackdown, especially police abuse of powers, advertise in that area.
Eg., advertising around Goose Creek, SC right after that police high school raid. Advertising in Miami after the protester crackdown, etc. This will be positive advertising, and will create enough controversy to get additional media attention.
We should also hold musical fundraising concerts, lots of people, publicity, and money.
All opinions, IMHO, of course. :D

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2003, 03:39:16 pm »

Like this idea, hit the folks while the pain is fresh!  Not sure what the board policy is on how ad money is spent, but do believe a portable fund, perhaps someone designated to find such incidents, and spend the cash on the ad immediately is worth considering.
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

Dawn

• FSP Participant
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2003, 10:28:58 pm »

Makes sense. I wonder how "hard" it would be to implement? Plus, there are so many events that could qualify, it could be hard to pick amongst them all! :-\

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2003, 12:01:13 pm »

Dawn -

agreed, but its probably best to follow the ones that really make the news.  That way we're already operating in a web of media attention.  These advertisments may actually put us in the position to offer opinions on newsmagazine shows!

Mr. Osiris

• FSP Participant
  • Louis E not louise
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2003, 06:38:46 pm »

A very good Idea, but it would have to be implemented with care. We don't want to seem opportunistic, profiting off others suffering. Perhaps advertising in the area without making any direct connections would be best.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
-Benjamin Franklin

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2003, 06:49:25 pm »

Agree, just offer an alternative without political comment!

K...gonna turn this computer off....eat until I can't move...find a nice spot on mom's rug and take a nap! :D

Happy Holiday to all...and see in down the road in NH! ;D
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

Kelton Baker

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • Freedom is Free, it's tyranny that costs us dearly
    • Kelton Baker
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2003, 04:37:41 am »

Personally, I would like to see us doing "shadow advertising".  Everytime there is some big crackdown, especially police abuse of powers, advertise in that area.
Eg., advertising around Goose Creek, SC right after that police high school raid. Advertising in Miami after the protester crackdown, etc. This will be positive advertising, and will create enough controversy to get additional media attention.
We should also hold musical fundraising concerts, lots of people, publicity, and money.
All opinions, IMHO, of course. :D

Thought considered,  this sounds like a super idea!  Implementing it may prove difficult, however.
Give me some men who are stout-hearted men Who will fight for the right they adore. Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men And I'll soon give you ten thousand more...--O. Hammerstein

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2003, 11:29:36 am »

Heh, by "difficult" I'm sure you mean "expensive", Kelton.  Those ads don't come cheap!

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2003, 01:51:33 am »

James wrote:

<< Personally, I would like to see us doing "shadow advertising". >>

James at first glance this looks like a first-rate idea.  Yes it would have to be done with some care to avoid the ambulance-chaser backlash.  But even if we screwed it up and got bad PR it might not be that big a deal.  We can afford to screw up - as long as we do so outside NH.  

I might be interested in becoming involved with this if it gets off the ground, my "term" as Mr. Operation Liberty Groups expires Jan. 15.

I wonder what would need to be done....we'd need a sort of network of "rapid reaction troops" to take instant action in response to the news.  Any town with a strong local FSP group could probably provide this.  

One weakness to this idea, of course, is that folks who are victims of government abuse are not necessarily more liberty-oriented than others.  And many of them actually are force-initiators themselves who you wouldn't want to attract to the FS.

I wonder if we should start a separate thread on this...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 02:01:55 am by Dada Orwell »
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

freedomroad

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2003, 04:05:23 am »

James wrote:

<< Personally, I would like to see us doing "shadow advertising". >>

James at first glance this looks like a first-rate idea.  Yes it would have to be done with some care to avoid the ambulance-chaser backlash.  But even if we screwed it up and got bad PR it might not be that big a deal.  We can afford to screw up - as long as we do so outside NH.  

This is a great idea.  And yeah, go ahead and start a new thread.

I don't like the name, though.

What the FSP needs is move of two main things:

1. It needs to give people reasons to move to NH.  Explaining how free NH is compared to this rest of the country would go along way towards this.  Maybe someone should create a new, slim version of the NH 101 that compares NH to the entire nation.

2. More money spent on advertising.  We need to do this in Libertarian sources, libertarian sources, individualist, survivalist, conservative, market-anarcist and more.  Also, like James said, select local ads makes sense.  

What really makes sense is heavy local adds in the Northeast.  THe Northeast is by far, the least free region of the country.  NH is near the Northeast and very similar to the rest of the Northeast except that is is more free and more rural.  This should be our target group.  I would put 1/2 the money into Northeast only ads if I was in charge.  People from AK, NV, and AZ are rarely going to move to NH, but people from NY, MA, and NJ are much more likely to.

Kelton Baker

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
    • Kelton Baker
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2003, 11:18:52 am »

What the FSP needs is move of two main things:

1. It needs to give people reasons to move to NH.  Explaining how free NH is compared to this rest of the country would go along way towards this.  Maybe someone should create a new, slim version of the NH 101 that compares NH to the entire nation.

2. More money spent on advertising.  We need to do this in Libertarian sources, libertarian sources, individualist, survivalist, conservative, market-anarcist and more.  Also, like James said, select local ads makes sense.  

You are right on track with some of these thoughts.  Right now, the FSP is not making any brochure on NH, however, there is a group of people in NH putting together something right now to promote NH,  when they get that together, I am sure that the FSP organization would like to have a major part in distributing, maybe even helping to print that, I am not sure at this time.

At the very least, adopting more NH links and chamber-of commerce/tourism sort of promotion ideas into our website.

As to #2,  expect a big roll-out of an organized advertising campaign in January.  In the meantime, we've got a full-page ad in High Times magazine coming soon,  some plans for targeting homeschooler groups in the upcoming week and some new banner ads.
Give me some men who are stout-hearted men Who will fight for the right they adore. Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men And I'll soon give you ten thousand more...--O. Hammerstein

Kelton Baker

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
    • Kelton Baker
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2003, 11:24:09 am »

What really makes sense is heavy local adds in the Northeast.

Agreed.  Lately,  I saw a story about government-produced tragedies in Rhode Island, and thought about how relatively few of our members came from RI until very recently.  MA and NY too, they need some more localized advertising, especially after the fact that major newspapers in NY and MA put us on their front pages soon after the vote.

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2003, 12:40:26 pm »

Here's another one, just came across the wire a few hours ago:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20031201/ap_on_re_us/gay_mother_school

Why don't we treat this as a drill and discuss how we could best recruit refugees out of this situation.   We could certainly use it to point out the bankruptcy of the public school monopoloy and how it hurts liberal causes as well as religious conservatives.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 12:41:07 pm by Dada Orwell »
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

cathleeninsc

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2003, 02:23:15 pm »

This is an AP article. Is it likely to be discussed on discussion boards that we can participate in?

Cathleen in SC

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2003, 03:16:58 pm »

I think the shadow advertising that James Maynard talks about is a good idea to deal with that situation.  I'm sure that the entire community is fuming over that problem.  I'm sure also that the entire gay community is fuming.  We can target both communities with outreach related to this issue.  Press releases, advertising, and social outreach can all help us penetrate the gay market (as well as markets sympathetic to the cause of equal rights).

This is also a good opportunity to write LTEs and op-eds about this.  A good publicist could also throw together a Faux-News Release - a press release that looks exactly like a news article, to be used by reporters and editors facing deadline who need to plug something in to their paper.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

anything