Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What ARE Governer Benson's Homeschooling Reform plans?  (Read 2954 times)

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
What ARE Governer Benson's Homeschooling Reform plans?
« on: November 04, 2003, 02:36:24 am »

I've heard so much about his reform plans, but I still haven't heard exactly what they are!

It's frusterating to me, because I've been asking for quite awhile (first on the e-mail FSP list, and later here)

I'm hopeing he's not talking about vouchers, a new form of welfair which would just create a new "entitlement" bloc, and eventually lead to more regulation of private schools, and homeschooling rules -- making them little more then "glorified voiceboxes" of government propaganda -- instead of just regular voiceboxes of it.

Tax deductions are the way to go, but really the State already wants to get rid of the State Property tax anyway, so they wouldn't be able to get State tax credits if they aren't paying any. Right?

Government money always comes with strings attached -- if not initially then when the next administration gets into office.

As far as I know recently their was actually a bill in the legislature to expand the compulsitory schooling laws. (At least the HSLDA said their was.) Hopefully, that doesn't go through.

Is he just trying to regegulate homeschooling laws? Towards Alaskan, but at least more western standards?

What?

Has he actually given any exact plans to anybody?

Tracy
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

NuclearDruid

• TANSTAAFL
    • The Colonization Too Project
Re:What ARE Governer Benson's Homeschooling Reform plans?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 12:41:38 pm »

I've heard so much about his reform plans, but I still haven't heard exactly what they are!

It's frusterating to me, because I've been asking for quite awhile (first on the e-mail FSP list, and later here)

I'm hopeing he's not talking about vouchers, a new form of welfair which would just create a new "entitlement" bloc, and eventually lead to more regulation of private schools, and homeschooling rules -- making them little more then "glorified voiceboxes" of government propaganda -- instead of just regular voiceboxes of it.

Tax deductions are the way to go, but really the State already wants to get rid of the State Property tax anyway, so they wouldn't be able to get State tax credits if they aren't paying any. Right?

Government money always comes with strings attached -- if not initially then when the next administration gets into office.

As far as I know recently their was actually a bill in the legislature to expand the compulsitory schooling laws. (At least the HSLDA said their was.) Hopefully, that doesn't go through.

Is he just trying to regegulate homeschooling laws? Towards Alaskan, but at least more western standards?

What?

Has he actually given any exact plans to anybody?

Tracy

Tracy, my understanding was that he was looking for $2 million in tax credits for HS parents. It got voted down in the legislature earlier this year. If you want to listen to some clips from NH NPR on the subject you can click these (Windows Media Player files.)

http://nhpr.org/audio-graphics/audio/nht-2003-03-07-ta1.wax

http://nhpr.org/audio-graphics/audio/ex-2003-09-08.wax

The last one should serve as a good barometer of how receptive the system will be to change. The commentator has three educrats and one homeschooler as guests. They also take some callers. IMO the educrats are still firmly in control in NH.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2003, 12:42:18 pm by NuclearDruid »
"Responsibility is a unique concept. It can only reside and inhere in a single individual. You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you. You may disclaim it, but you cannot divest yourself of it." - Admiral Hyman Rickover
Pages: [1]   Go Up