Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Benson welcomes free staters  (Read 4800 times)

Michelle

• FSP Participant
Benson welcomes free staters
« on: November 02, 2003, 05:09:47 pm »

http://www4.fosters.com/News2003/November2003/November_02/News/reg_nh_1102b.asp

Benson welcomes Free Staters

By KATHARINE WEBSTER

Associated Press Writer

MANCHESTER - Gov. Craig Benson welcomed members of the Free State Project to New Hampshire on Saturday, saying he was excited about their plans to move to the state and promote their agenda of smaller government.

"We'd love to have you," Benson told several Free Staters at the annual convention of the state Libertarian Party, held at the Highlander Inn.

"We don't have to agree on everything to make things happen. What we have to agree on is that we're going to leave things better than we found them," he said.

The Libertarian Party and the Free State Project share members and political goals: scaling back government, taxes and reliance on public schools.

Saturday marked one month since supporters of the Free State Project announced they had chosen New Hampshire as the stage for their political "revolution." They hope to move 20,000 "liberty-minded individuals" to the state to transform the political system from within.

Some of the project's 5,000 members want to decriminalize drug use and prostitution and lift restrictions on gun ownership and gambling, as well.

Benson said he disagrees with some of those goals, but agrees with the Free Staters on "the important issues."

"What we're standing for is smaller government," he told reporters after his formal remarks. "They don't want government on their backs, in their businesses, or in their private lives."

In his speech, Benson described various initiatives he has gotten funded by private businesses, as well as two proposed amendments to the state constitution that he supports.

One, dubbed the Taxpayer Bill of Rights, would limit increases in state spending to the rate of inflation, adjusted for increases in population. It also would require a two-thirds vote of the Legislature to increase existing taxes.

Members of the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance, a new political action committee formed by members of the Free State Project living in the state, have already said they probably will support that amendment.

The other proposed constitutional amendment would give the Legislature exclusive control over state spending on education.

State Supreme Court decisions have found the state constitution includes a guarantee of public education for every child, paid for by state taxes. Those decisions led to the statewide property tax for schools.

Benson also called for putting the "passion" back into education, in part by letting students get credit for educational experiences outside classrooms.

He characterized public education standards as inflexible, based on a model of learning everything inside four walls, 180 days a year, six hours a day.

"Why do we make someone like my daughter, who's trying out for the Olympics, take gym class, too?" he said, to vigorous applause.

Kelton Baker, president of the Free State Project, presented Benson with a stuffed toy porcupine - the movement's mascot - after his speech.

"We'very happy and very excited about our work in the state of New Hampshire," he said. "And we're very happy to have a governor who supports us."
Please join NHLA today! http://www.nhliberty.org With every new member we gain political weight to support liberty-friendly candidates and promote liberty throughout NH.
Support the Liberty Scholarship Fund. Please make a donation today! http://www.lsfund.org

Michelle

• FSP Participant
Editorial about Benson - mentioning FSP
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 06:30:45 pm »

Friday, November 7, 2003

A different kind of governor

Benson is giving it his best shot; he'll be around for awhile

The signs are becoming clear. Gov. Craig Benson will most likely seek a second term next year.

No, the signs aren't on lawns yet. But the governor's words of late are signs enough. He likes his job and he wants to stick with it. He's having fun and he's making a difference.

A conversation recorded by New Hampshire Public Radio went something like this:

"You're going to be a second-term (governor), I hope," said an obvious admirer of the governor.

"Yes - so long as I get elected," Benson replied. "I guess I shouldn't comment."

The man talking to Benson added that he was looking forward to planting a Benson sign on his lawn.

"Oh, we'll get you one of those," the governor said.

"So are you going to run again?" someone asked.

"I don't see why I wouldn't," Benson said.

Not exactly a bid for a second term for elections that are still 10 and 12 months away, but more of a word of caution to anyone who might be thinking of preparing a challenge in either September or November 2004.

Speaking of caution, the governor ought to be careful of second-term references for a while. Democrats and maverick Republicans will soon be looking for ways to tie every one of the governor's moves to a campaign expense.

It's been pointed out here and elsewhere that Craig Benson is not the most popular person within two or three blocks of the Statehouse, but so what? The denizens of those granite-lined streets don't elect governors, the real people do - the people of the cities and towns where the real power lies. It's Main Street, not State Street, where the strings are pulled on Election Day - where the votes are cast every two years.

The last time we looked, Craig Benson was still popular with the people who elected him in 2002.

Yes, it's early to be talking about a second term, but it's not hubris, it's reality. Second terms are a given in New Hampshire. Even some mediocre governors have been afforded the opportunity of two more years if they wanted it. And Benson is not mediocre.

Benson is doing what he promised he would do. He is shaking up the bureaucracy and making it more responsive to the people. He is making state government live within its means. He is appointing people to subordinate positions who know their roles - who know they had better run a tighter and better organization than has been the case in the past.

State government is no longer business as usual.

Eyebrows were raised when the governor welcomed Free Staters to New Hampshire - people whose beliefs include that the least government is the best government; a not uncommon view in New Hampshire

Benson's critics were quick to say he was one of them. You know, "them" - whomever they are. So the governor and people in the Free State movement agree on some of the same principles. It doesn't make him a poster boy for the Free Staters - or a symbol of the Libertarian Party either. It makes him someone who welcomes people to New Hampshire and who will work within the system to achieve their goals - just like Craig Benson did in 2002.

Craig Benson is a governor who believes every man and woman in New Hampshire is entitled to an opportunity to provide better lives for themselves and their families.

An opportunity is not a handout. An opportunity is something for which a person - each in his or her own way -will eventually be grateful. The usual response to a handout is a call for another handout.

Craig Benson wants to enable people to do for themselves.

And that is the stuff of which second terms are made.

Is Craig Benson a different kind of governor? He sure is - the kind of governor for whom New Hampshire has been waiting for a long time.

http://www4.fosters.com/News2003/November2003/November_07/Comment/ed_1107_03.asp
Please join NHLA today! http://www.nhliberty.org With every new member we gain political weight to support liberty-friendly candidates and promote liberty throughout NH.
Support the Liberty Scholarship Fund. Please make a donation today! http://www.lsfund.org

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
Re:Benson welcomes free staters
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2003, 11:46:40 am »

Bensons numbers are now at least as high (in some ways higher) than they were at the time he won the 2002 election 2:1. Even 1/3 of the Dems and 2/3 of the independents plan to vote for him in 2004.
Check it out. http://www.americanresearchgroup.com/nhpoll/nhp3.html

JM
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 11:47:03 am by jgmaynard »
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

thegotoguy

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2003, 12:12:35 pm »

I really wish we had more governors like Mr. Benson.

I sent an email thanking him for his support of FSP a while back and received a very kind reply (not an auto-responder) from one of his staff.

He definitely is a different kind of governor.

I only hope the people of New Jersey eventually come to their senses and elect someone like him (not likely)  :(.

Chris

Kelton Baker

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • Freedom is Free, it's tyranny that costs us dearly
    • Kelton Baker
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2003, 12:06:06 am »

http://www4.fosters.com/News2003/November2003/November_02/News/reg_nh_1102b.asp

Kelton Baker, president of the Free State Project, presented Benson with a stuffed toy porcupine - the movement's mascot - after his speech.

"We'very happy and very excited about our work in the state of New Hampshire," he said. "And we're very happy to have a governor who supports us."

The Concord Monitor newspaper quoted me a little better,  "this is an incredible place, and we're happy to already have a governor that supports us," Baker said.

"It's nice and soft," said Benson, petting the stuffed animal.

"Don't pat it the wrong way! someone called out, to laughter.

---
The statement I am sure that I gave was actually a hybrid of both of these newspaper quotes, but oh well, such it is when you deal with the press.  I've written a few news articles myself and have been accused of misquoting people, it's easy to do, and in the end, you are happy not to be misrepresented, and that the quote even sounds familiar.
Give me some men who are stout-hearted men Who will fight for the right they adore. Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men And I'll soon give you ten thousand more...--O. Hammerstein

Kelton Baker

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • Freedom is Free, it's tyranny that costs us dearly
    • Kelton Baker
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2003, 12:07:53 am »

I should also add, though not quite with us, and far from perfect, I think gov. Benson is the best governor in all 50 states!
Give me some men who are stout-hearted men Who will fight for the right they adore. Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men And I'll soon give you ten thousand more...--O. Hammerstein

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2003, 04:06:51 am »

The Libertarian Party didn't even nominate their own governer nomani. They just decided to endorse Benson. That was a good call. It's good to see a libertarian party advancing the cause of liberty instead of the cause of the libertarian party.

Like when the Texas LP stupidly tried to run a candidate against Ron Paul.

Tracy
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

Morpheus

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2003, 10:20:55 am »

The cause of the Libertarian Party SHOULD be the cause of Liberty. What's the point, otherwise?

Of course, let us work with him as regards the quest for low taxation. If he goes low enough, he'll be unable to fund his favourite authoritarian operations. Conservatives are such ^%#$&*# dumbasses...

thegotoguy

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2003, 11:18:42 am »

Tracy -

I didn't know the Texas LP ran someone against Ron Paul.  That's an interesting bit of information.

What a bunch of dumbasses.  And they wonder why we are all joining the FSP.

AnonCastillo

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2004, 07:55:30 pm »

I don't think it's that common for the Texas LP to run someone against Ron Paul - in fact, iirc, I saw an ad from them in a recent LP news advertising the fact that in 2002, they ran congressional candidates in all but 1 district in Texas - Ron Paul's district.

Anyway, I've heard a few people talk about how you can run fusion candidates in NH (multi-party candidates); has anyone talked to Benson or the NH LP about the possibility of his running as a Republican-Libertarian? Then the NH LP would be supporting both the cause of liberty AND the LP. :)
To those who understand, I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand, take me as I am
Not under your command, I know where I stand
I won't change to fit your plan, take me as I am
"As I Am" - Dream Theater

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2004, 11:17:27 pm »

TheGotoGuy

That was a long time ago.  

Anon, you're right. This year they're running a libertarian for every rep except Ron Paul's district.

Who knows. Some of them might win. They seem to be fairly organized this year.

Tracy
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2004, 04:09:36 am »

Anyway, I've heard a few people talk about how you can run fusion candidates in NH (multi-party candidates); has anyone talked to Benson or the NH LP about the possibility of his running as a Republican-Libertarian? Then the NH LP would be supporting both the cause of liberty AND the LP. :)

Fusion is about trickery. We want to completely take over New Hampshire. That requires most people understanding the effects of libertarian economic projects.

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2004, 05:54:04 pm »

I was at the statehouse today, talking with a state rep in the hallway.... Then, another rep walks up to him and says, "The governor wants to meet with us now." (Benson is VERY punctual). The rep I was talking to turned to me, and said "Do you want to come along?". Well, GUH! So, I got to see CB today in the executive council chambers - Didn't have time to really talk to him, though.
Still cool. :D

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up