Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: *Now* we've come of age...Dartmouth academocrat calls our idea "un-American"  (Read 4157 times)

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant

Source:

http://www.nationalpost.com/home/story.html?id=
1F96C809-6020-421B-A640-029D4287A4F6

Link too wide to fit on some browsers, you'll have to paste it  together to make it work.

<< Richard Winters, a professor of government at Dartmouth College in Hanover, N.H., said the state's citizens tend to be suspicious of outsiders -- especially outsiders with a political agenda.

The group may also be overestimating how many supporters will be willing to leave their jobs and uproot their families to support the idea. The notion is un-American, Prof. Winters said.

"To pick up and move for reasons of a doctrinaire political agenda is almost astonishing in this country. We don't have strong political agendas. My sense is that people's will will fade when they realize what they're getting themselves into.">>

What's cool here is that he appears to be calling us un-American because we are (gasp) willing to make a minor sacrifice.  Talk about a backhanded compliment!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 04:01:16 pm by Dada Orwell »
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

SteveA

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?
Re:*Now* we've come of age...Dartmouth academocrat calls our idea "un-American
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2003, 04:07:30 pm »

The link you posted, seemed to come out incorrect.  I had to cut and paste the text into a browser to pull it up.

He was actually saying that most people lack enough motivation to move, and is unlikely most Americans would want to do it.  Not un-American as in anti-American.

Now, if someone wants to move and attend Dartmouth so he can teach them what is correct, I'm sure he'd consider that as american as oh, baseball and apple pie ;)
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."

Kyle

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2003, 08:16:14 pm »

Professor Winters' special fields of interest are American state politics, American political economy, social welfare politics, and the politics of the budgetary process.
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~rwinters/

Bingo.  FSP could mean very bad news for his social welfare politics.

Kyle

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2003, 08:19:18 pm »

He wrote a piece in 1970 entitled, "The Politics of Redistribution".  Do not ask for whom the bell tolls, Dr. Winters.

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 11:01:35 am »

Libertarians flee to New Hampshire

Modified the link to make it work.

Dada, to make clickable text just do this:

Click the little earth icon above the form input and edit the
Code: [Select]
[url][/url] code like so:
[url=http://www.website.com/]clickable text here[/url].

You can make formatted quote by clicking the quote icon or just writing
[quote]text here
[/quote] around quoted text. Looks fancy smancier.  :D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2003, 11:04:21 am by mark »

Ogre11

• FSP Participant
  • Ok, I'm in. Ready to move yet?
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 11:13:21 am »

That's one of the places I'm looking at for possible employment...shhhh, don't tell him I'm coming!   ;D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2003, 11:13:35 am by Ogre11 »

AnonCastillo

• FSP Participant

Considering how many of the founding fathers and their ancestors picked up and moved from England largely because of a political agenda (if you consider freedom of religion to be as political a motivation as it is religious), and considering how many people moved to the US to escape governmental tyranny in their home countries, I think we're the most American movement out there.
To those who understand, I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand, take me as I am
Not under your command, I know where I stand
I won't change to fit your plan, take me as I am
"As I Am" - Dream Theater

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian

I'll see if I can get my buds at the Dartmouth Review to mess with him. THey like to bait radically liberal professors. Of course, they find the real nuts more entertaining (one recent article was how one english professor accused a student of being a white supremacist for suggesting that companies made band-aids white just because it was cheaper, and not because they were racist).
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time
Pages: [1]   Go Up