Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 more articles in NH on the Liberty Alliance  (Read 5535 times)

SteveA

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?
2 more articles in NH on the Liberty Alliance
« on: November 01, 2003, 12:22:12 pm »

Free State Project forms action committee
Portsmouth Herald

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/11012003/news/58390.htm

Free Staters form PAC
Nashua Telegraph

http://nashuatelegraph.com/Main.asp?SectionID=25&SubSectionID=354&ArticleID=92544
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
Re:2 more articles in NH on the Liberty Alliance
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2003, 02:14:22 pm »

As you can see from the titles of these articles, my criticism of the press release is valid -- it does not make clear the relationship between the FSP and the NHLA, i.e., none.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2003, 02:37:48 pm »

It's usually the editor of the newspaper who writes the headline, not the author of the article.  This is especially true with AP articles.

Elizabeth

• Free State Project
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2003, 04:38:56 pm »

But if all the headlines are wrong, does that not tell us that the content is not very clear?

SteveA

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2003, 05:03:54 pm »

I think the Liberty Alliance is great but there is a concern that the media may inaccurately portray members of the FSP.  If a headline one day said "The Free State Project merges with Constitution Party" etc. it's not an accurate portrayal of the movement.  We just need to be sure the media is informed as to the diversity of views most FSP members have.  Having a focal point aids us but can also be a weakness.  (Hey, so I still have some of my natural non-herding prone cat-like reflexes ;))
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2003, 08:12:54 pm »

It says, "members of the FSP has . . "

not, The FSP itself.

Tracy
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2003, 09:39:26 am »

You are correct, Tracy. Both articles state "About 40 people are working to organize the alliance, which is a project of the New Hampshire members, not the national group." in the fourth paragraph.
Let's hope everyone gets that far. ;)

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

Karl

Mandatory helmets for lobbyists?
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2003, 09:46:02 pm »

From the AP article:

"For instance, if a legislator strongly supports a statewide smoking ban, mandatory helmets for lobbyists or a tax hike, he or she would score badly."

I'm liking Kate McCann's reporting more and more!  A Freudian slip maybe?  ;)

Elizabeth

• Free State Project
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2003, 05:28:05 pm »

You are correct, Tracy. Both articles state "About 40 people are working to organize the alliance, which is a project of the New Hampshire members, not the national group." in the fourth paragraph.
Let's hope everyone gets that far. ;)

JM

That was put in as a correction, after I called Kate to clarify.

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2003, 07:48:58 pm »

I don't know. I think many lobbyists are going to be needing helmets soon. lol....

I was just over Justin (rdeacons) house with Kelton Baker, and Kelton was saying he was listening to talk radio today, and they were talking about the seat belt proposal, and a caller mentioned something like "This is something the free-staters will be interested in". :D

We've got a recognizible brand name in the state. :D

JM

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2003, 01:09:47 am »

IMHO the FSP needs to stay in the news in order to hit 20,000 members anytime soon.  In order to do that it has to start "sponsoring" pro-liberty actions within the Free State, see below for more information on exactly what I mean by "sponsoring".  People need to see that the FSP leads to positive change in the state, especially if they are to be convinced that its worth moving to help out.

While groups like the NHLA are not affiliated directly with the FSP, the NHLA is a direct result of the FSP and the FSP should acknowledge that publicly.  The NHLA is a group that is taking the initiative to campaign in the free state during the FSP movement's embryonic stage.  It is vital to the publicity of the FSP that we embrace these start up groups and show the media that we're more than just bluster and showboating.

Dawn

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2003, 06:51:09 pm »

But if all the headlines are wrong, does that not tell us that the content is not very clear?
Not necessarily! I have been "quoted" in articles quite a few times (not about FSP) that were not what I said. I just ran for town council - The Hartford Courant claimed that I came in 3rd for mayor.  ;)  You just can't believe what you read in the paper - that's for sure!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 06:51:32 pm by Dawn »

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2003, 09:16:29 pm »

I run a website about Keene, NH at www.keenenh.us . The Keene Sentinel reported before the election that my website was www.keenenh.com , which is, in fact, owned by the Keene Sentinel. ::)
The same artiicle reported that Don Gorman ran the Libertarian Victory Fund (it was Chris Azzaro). ::)

JM

Pages: [1]   Go Up