Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: It says to ask questions here...  (Read 9288 times)

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
Re:It says to ask questions here...
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2003, 10:27:38 am »

Instead of the above example, let me illustrate one other possible scenario.  I'm sitting on a bench in a park (not a public one, just one someone opened up to allow people into), my kids kicking a ball around in front of me.  Two people walk up, and they decide that they're going to rip their clothes off and start having animal sex on the ground in front of me while cursing at the children and telling them how great what they are doing is.  Under the guidelines I see for Libertarians and the Free State, they have done nothing wrong.

first off, remember that you do not exist in a vacuum... do you seriously believe that you are the only person in society (libertarian or otherwise) who would rather NOT see acts of sex in public?  of course not!  so, now imagine you are a park owner, who do you cater to?  The majority who want to do ordinary things like picnic, play frisbee, walk their dog, etc... or... to the very few that wish to participate or view savage animal sex in full view of their neighbors?  libertarians are not a different breed of human, we are ordinary, with values, ideals, morals, goals, dreams, etc.  We are already your neighbors, we already use parks just like everyone else does.  We just don't want people infringing on the rights of us and other humans any more.  We want the sex-maniacs to be able to have their own park where they are free to get grass stains on their knees and buttocks... why? because we can CHOOSE not to let these activities affect us one bit!  How? well, lets see... I am looking for a place to live, I look at each house for sale, take a good look at the deed restrictions included, the neighborhood association bylaws, I talk to my potential neighbors to see if they are 'my type of people' and make my choice.  I would probably choose a gated community which had its own amenities like a nice park which was owned by the association, perhaps a pool, tennis courts and maybe a central facility for parties, group activities, perhaps a gym and maybe a business center with fax, copier, internet connections, et al.  I don't care if Mr. Satan Worshipping Evil sex Maniac is screwing 30 whores a day out in the open air in his 10 acre sex-fest park across town... so what?  I fundamentally believe the majority of people are 'good' in the sense that they will act in their own self-interest and NOT rob banks, spit on others, expose themselves in public, etc... I believe that 'laws' are a reflection of the general populations desires and so without laws, people will still act the same.  Laws do not prevent me from robbing a bank or haing sex in public, I prevent me because I do not desire to do these things.

People will not become crazed, insane maniacs because all the sudden there isn't a law against something...

michael

Finally someone is giving a good answer to the man's question.
And that is neighborhood associations, in the US they average serving about 200 people in NH that would mean around 6,000 mostly sovereign local governments.

LeopardPM

• FSP Participant
Re:It says to ask questions here...
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2003, 01:45:43 am »

And that is neighborhood associations, in the US they average serving about 200 people in NH that would mean around 6,000 mostly sovereign local governments.

wow, just the thought of 6,000 - mostly the same, some different, a few extreme - but... and here is the BIG but: enough variety and choice for EVERYONE to live as they desire, the free market of associations and lifestyles... I think I can smell the sweet fragrance of freedom...

michael
nothing to say...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up