Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Libertarian Radio, TV, etc.  (Read 16540 times)

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
Re:Libertarian Radio, TV, etc.
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2003, 06:23:39 pm »

How would one go about purchasing bandwidth so they could start a radio or tv station or something?

Licencing?

Dealing with the FCC ?

Anyway, I think it would be wonderfull to broadcast libertarian Radio into Vermount, Mass, and Main. Maybe help to spread liberty?

But also to spread liberty ideals to the population of NH as well.

Maybe the NH libertarian party could buy a radio station.

HA! Care to make a donation?  LPNH treasury statement at the last Convention was somewhere around $20k, as I recall, which is much better today than it was in the past when the National bled the state parties dry on a regular basis.

We have changed our bylaws so that non-residents can become LPNH members, pay dues, contribute to the party, etc. I encourage anybody who wants to to join and contribute.

A libertarian radio station is a great idea, I'd settle for a daily radio show. There are plenty of Libertarian leaning radio hosts (as I recall, Gary Nolan is one, and he's pledged to move here) so the only problem is getting them airtime on talk radio stations here.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2003, 09:25:46 pm »

Mike, maybe try to get Gary Nolan an appearance spot on Terri Dudley's show? If it happens around primary time it might help get some write-in spoiler votes.  :D

Dawn

• FSP Participant
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2003, 11:22:16 pm »

Our best bets combine low or no cost options and existing facilities.  Become a part of what's already out there, such as:
- being guests on radio, cable access & TV shows
- securing a weekly show on AM or FM radio supported by ads. Radio and TV owners will allow talk radio shows when there are ads to make them money and fit into the overall format.
- hosting cable access TV shows
- archiving audio & video on our websites so visitors can listen and watch at their convenience...

I think these are all excellent ideas that we all should take part in once we land in NH!

IMHO, the time and money necessary to start a new tv/radio station could be much better spent using the existing structures.

KornJoleo

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2004, 11:26:45 am »

What about a system of LPFM stations run by FSP members whose content is streamed via the internet?  Would this kind of "simulcasting" be legal?

Could we hope to generate enough content to sustain a system of "noncommercial" stations?  And does anyone with experience here know what the outlay is for an individual to set up an LPFM station on the cheap?

My guess is, a commercial venture of some sort (we are capitalists after all) or liberty-oriented shows on several AM stations is a better bet.  AM stations around here are dying for cheap programming.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 11:28:20 am by KornJoleo »

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2004, 01:40:53 am »

Korn,

Interesting idea.  If the FCC feels like allowing LPFM in NH.  I haven't been keeping up on it, to be honest.

Regards,
Ian
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2004, 11:25:13 am »

Mike, maybe try to get Gary Nolan an appearance spot on Terri Dudley's show? If it happens around primary time it might help get some write-in spoiler votes.  :D

Is Gary around?
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2004, 07:14:10 pm »

I don't know. Maybe get in touch with Joey Dauben who is Gary's student coordinator. He might know the Nolan campaign's schedual.

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2004, 04:27:45 pm »

http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

KDus

• Made it halfway from CA.
Re: Libertarian Radio, TV, etc.
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2008, 04:47:13 pm »

Pirate operators have to piss off a LOT of people to even get the attention of the FCC, let alone get shut down.  There is still time to use our pirate gear before the HD technology takes over.

smeg

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2008, 03:20:50 pm »

i don't know if this would help at all, but:

i've been looking for a job in media, being that i have 9 years of film school (focus on documentary) and 6 years of experience in everything from feature films, reality tv, and video journalism.  if a job doesn't come up soon in my field (which, there aren't many options here), i'll be taking a temp job... but i'd be willing to use my education/experience/gear to help where i could, so i could continue gaining experience for future job opportunities. 

i have a dvx100b w/ external shotgun mic, and final cut studio... if anyone needs me, just send an email ;)

mattbarney

• FSP Participant
  • Focused on freedom
    • Matt Barney's Personal Page
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2008, 08:01:00 pm »

There's an interesting movement by two of the innovative Ron Paul "Money Bomb" and "Blimp" guys to start a pro-freedom media company.  This website has details, and you can sign up for buying the stock, once the company is formed

http://www.breakthematrix.com/

FTL_Ian

• Golden Porcupine
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2008, 10:22:24 am »

Trevor Lyman (from breakthematrix) has not returned my phone call or e-mail. I won't pretend to know anything about the allegations of him being a scam artist, but I must say they don't make him sound very good.

There is one thing that certainly bothers me and that is that a big todo was made about him joining the Free State Project and being the 500th member in New Hampshire, and now from what I understand he has moved to Los Angeles? To be sure, I've only heard this through the rumor mill, but if it's true it really seems to show a lack of commitment as well as flightiness.

Just the fact that in their most recent e-mail they mention opening a Hollywood studio shows me that they have no idea what they're doing.

I wish them the best of luck in their efforts and hope that they prove me wrong and create the most successful liberty media outlet, ever. Certainly someone can do it better than me.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2008, 09:58:42 pm »

I'm on the same page as Ian on this one.
Starting up a media company to simply become the MSM in one fell swoop is HIGHLY ambitious... in the same sense that the country of Lichtenstein attempting to take over China would be HIGHLY ambitious.

I wish them well also, but I don't see their efforts as being tractable or practical. I'd prefer to score real, attainable, short-term victories, and build on those. Like getting a bunch of local libertarian media to raise public awareness in the cities & towns across one small, already libertarian-leaning state... like FTL, ATG, FMTV, KFP, MFP, LR&C, YSH, NHCapTV, and others(!) are already doing here (and we could use many more!)

Like getting libertarians elected to local offices all over the state. And then, getting a few libertarians elected to State office... followed by a few more... and then a few more.

We lost freedom incrementally. It seems clear to me that we can get it back incrementally. We're already heading down that path.

I prefer continuous improvement to indefinitely delayed perfection.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 10:03:15 pm by Denis Goddard »

FTL_Ian

• Golden Porcupine
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2008, 08:03:54 pm »

Anyone know if it's true he's left NH for CA?

If so, it seems he played the FSP for the publicity they would give him for being the "500th in-state participant".

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2008, 09:35:57 pm »

Anyone know if it's true he's left NH for CA?

I can find out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up