Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Libertarian Radio, TV, etc.  (Read 16957 times)

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
Libertarian Radio, TV, etc.
« on: October 17, 2003, 05:16:14 pm »

How would one go about purchasing bandwidth so they could start a radio or tv station or something?

Licencing?

Dealing with the FCC ?

Anyway, I think it would be wonderfull to broadcast libertarian Radio into Vermount, Mass, and Main. Maybe help to spread liberty?

But also to spread liberty ideals to the population of NH as well.

Maybe the NH libertarian party could buy a radio station.

Tracy
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
Re:Libertarian Radio, TV, etc.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2003, 10:25:55 pm »

With six years experience in the radio industry, I'd be very interested in this.  I've always wanted to run a station, but I've never wanted to deal with the bureaucratic mess that is the FCC.  It costs a few thousand dollars just to APPLY for a licence.  Not to mention the thousands you have to spend on engineering studies, fees, and more.
     It's easiest to purchase an existing station, but that has it's problems as well.
     I'd like to see a 50,000 watt AM station broadcasting out of central, or southern NH.  People could pick up that signal far outside of NH, especially at night.  Though I don't know if the FCC is even giving out AM licenses at that wattage.
     Another option would be a network of smaller, lower wattage AMs or FMs spread throughout the state.
     There aren't very many options for talk radio in New Hampshire (so we wouldn't have much competition), and the biggest wattage AM station is 10,000.  However, I don't know how the Canadian border affects licensing.  Most of the AM stations cut power like CRAZY at night.  I think the border may factor in to that.
     It's worth looking in to.

Regards,
Ian
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2003, 01:41:16 am »

Frankly FCC shouldn't have any jurisdiction whatsoever, constitutionally speaking, unless the broadcast crosses state lines.

My hope is that perhaps NH can practice some state nulification and declare NH a FCC free zone.

But broadcasting across state lines, you'd still definetly have to deal with it. (The misinterpretted interstate commerce clause)

Instead of licencing which has to be done by the government, which in turn is bound to infring on freedom of speach (which it does.) Property rights for the band widths sohuld be set up. Either that, or simply let the transmitter with the most power win.

See
http://www.fee.org/vnews.php?nid=1982

Tracy
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Abortion

FreeBoB

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2003, 09:44:21 am »

Deep, deep pockets are needed to get into the radio ownership game!  I was in radio in programming, DJ, engineering, construction, and production for 20 years. Non-commercial and commercial rock & roll radio taught me a great deal about the business. It sure was lots of fun, but I left radio because of low pay and the need for a quieter life!  Introducing bands at 11pm in a club and getting up at 4am to go on the air wears thin as one gets older!
I'll bet we could secure a liberty-oriented talk show or three at many NH AM stations. There are many, many liberty-oriented talk shows now across the US.  Online streaming makes many of them accessible to us, as listeners of Jerry Hughes on ARN or Neal Boortz will attest. There is good list at the Advocates for Self- Government site: http://freedomkeys.com/radio.htm
I would love to moonlight in radio once again - I'll stay tuned...

FTL_Ian

• Golden Porcupine
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2003, 02:28:02 pm »

White:  LPFM is a joke, by the way.

Tracy:  I like the idea of trying to nullify the FCC, but you'll face a lot of opposition from the National Association of Broadcasters, so get ready for that fight.  I don't want it to seem I support the FCC.  I don't.  I was just informing on the status quo.

FreeBob:  I plan on having my show on the air in NH.  http://freetalklive.com

Regards,
Ian

citizen_142002

• Friend of the FSP
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2003, 02:30:18 pm »

I've wondered about setting up a Lib. radio or TV station for a while now. I'm not from the seacoast region so I've got to ask if the seacoast or Manchester has public access TV? As far as raising money for a Lib. radio station do we have any station owners already in the FSP? We could also ask free state members for a donation even if the process and initial maintenace of an AM or FM station cost 40,000 dollars we could pay for that at less than 10 dollars from each current member or two dollars and fifty cents from total membership. That's much much cheaper than an annual donation to public radio.

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2003, 02:33:25 pm »

What about short wave?

Anyway, this just goes to show that the only reason monopolies exist is because government sets them up.

Tracy

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Abortion

FTL_Ian

• Golden Porcupine
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2003, 03:29:07 pm »

Shortwave is a niche in the U.S., worldwide, a different story.  Most radio listeners are driving.  Shortwave is just not practical.  And at the wattages that LPFM will be running at, it's not practical either.

A real life AM, FM, or both is the only viable option.

Regards,
Ian

FreeBoB

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2003, 11:29:44 am »

Our best bets combine low or no cost options and existing facilities.  Become a part of what's already out there, such as:
- being guests on radio, cable access & TV shows
- securing a weekly show on AM or FM radio supported by ads. Radio and TV owners will allow talk radio shows when there are ads to make them money and fit into the overall format.
- hosting cable access TV shows
- archiving audio & video on our websites so visitors can listen and watch at their convenience... example:  

link

(CSPAN video search for libertarian) and audio/video now on FSP website news listing.
The costs of licensing, facilities, and personnel are huge! Just a radio tower alone can cost hundreds of thousands or more...buying an existing station can be millions.  Then, of course, the operating expenses...

Ian, I like your style!

---

note from moderator:  post edited to condense excessively long link and eliminate wide screen effect. no other changes made.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 03:58:13 am by Dada Orwell »

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2003, 09:18:33 am »

We've been talking about something similar to this on the strategy forums.  I am interested in setting up something at Manchester's cable access station.  Yes, I know its public access and therefore evil, but its a means to an end.  I will be contacting a main contact person in Manchester to set this up, but I encourage all porcs to help us out, especially porcs who are already "in state" and would be willing to donate a little time to the cause.  We have yet to settle on a format.  I'm aiming for a "politically incorrect" or "mchlaughlin" style forum show, but I'm sure that others have other ideas.  If you're interested in helping out, email me at jdsomma@yahoo.com

Roycerson

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2003, 10:11:34 pm »

I'll volunteer a weekly show.  How hard is it to get airtime on existing non-profit stations?
They've done wonderful things with Camcorders and streaming video
at www.pot-tv.net  The success of the BC Marijuana party and the volume of Mark Emery's seed distribution are definitely related to their pot-tv website where I've been watching shows about marijuana for several years now.  
He who is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom....Anton LaVey

citizen_142002

• Friend of the FSP
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2003, 11:17:08 pm »

What about getting investors, like venture capitalists to get us started witha station. I know Boston based stations can get picked up in much of southern NH, why not do the same visa versa. Commercial rock stations have done it from Manchester. The MALP initiative on repaelaing the income tax fail 45% to 55%, think of what we could do to spread liberty.

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2003, 10:00:18 am »

The NRA was in the news awhile back due to them looking to create a TV channel. Maybe work with them? I'd love the see NRA-TV flooding the airwaves of southern NH and Masshole.  ;D

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2003, 08:45:22 pm »

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Abortion

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2003, 01:22:42 am »

There is a township in Cheshire county, right on the Mass border.

It's called the town of Winchester.  :D

There is a mountain in Winchester with a radio tower.

It's called Gun Mountain.  ;D

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up