Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Start dedicated thread for each NH county?  (Read 14679 times)

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
Start dedicated thread for each NH county?
« on: October 15, 2003, 02:12:35 am »

I don't know enough NH geography yet to presume how it should be divided up but...

Kelton has suggested we work up several NH geographical categories on this board.  I assume the simplest way to do that would be by county.   What do you think, should we add a new topic here for each NH county?  
« Last Edit: October 15, 2003, 02:13:51 am by Dada Orwell »
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
Re:Start dedicated thread for each NH county?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2003, 05:03:22 am »

There are far too many towns, so a town-based system probably wouldn't work.  Counties are less numerous.

There are a lot of forums as it is, but maybe we should create a "New Hampshire Local Groups" forum if the purpose is entirely separate from the "FSP Local Groups" forum.
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
  • I just *love* it when Hank and Dagny brainstorm!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2003, 07:24:23 am »

I think dividing by counties is a good idea. Counties in NH do not cover a large area, and there are only ten of them.
If everyone were rich there would be no need for government assistance. If everyone were rich all children could attend private schools. If everyone were rich, government would become superfluous. Read the free e-book at this site:

http://www.scienceofgettingrich.net

SteveA

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2003, 08:11:57 am »

There are a lot of forums as it is, but maybe we should create a "New Hampshire Local Groups" forum if the purpose is entirely separate from the "FSP Local Groups" forum.

I agree.  Or you could add a NH Local Groups subdirectory with 11 topics.  One for general NH groups and 10 more for the counties.
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."

Kelton

• FSP Participant
  • el resplandor de las llamas de la libertad
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2003, 10:18:35 am »

According to the Official New Hampshire Guidebook, 2003-2004 that can be obtained by request from the visitnh.gov website, there are seven regions of New Hampshire:
"Each of New Hampshire's seven distinct regions must be seen to be believed." it says, then shows a map where the regions are on the state:
WHITE MOUNTAINS
GREAT NORTH WOODS
DARTMOUTH/LAKE SUNAPEE
MONADNOCK REGION
LAKES REGION
MERRIMACK VALLEY
SEACOAST

( See here: http://www.visitnh.gov/tournh.html )

Now, I realize this may be useful only for tourists, perhaps someone from New Hampshire could inform us how residents there commonly consider the different regions. But considering New Hampshire by region seems useful to me, until someone shows me a better way.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2003, 11:33:35 am by Kelton Baker »
. . .the foundations of our national policy should be laid in private morality. If individuals be not influenced by moral principles, it is in vain to look for public virtue --The U.S. Senate's reply to George Washington's first inaugural address

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2003, 10:33:27 am »

I doubt you could get the residents of many of the border towns to agree on which region they are in!  :)

But for the purposes of discussion groups/local groups it could work.  I would need to join two of the groups, but I could live with that.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2003, 10:46:05 am by libertarian40 »
If everyone were rich there would be no need for government assistance. If everyone were rich all children could attend private schools. If everyone were rich, government would become superfluous. Read the free e-book at this site:

Kelton

• FSP Participant
  • el resplandor de las llamas de la libertad
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2003, 01:55:22 pm »

Elizabeth just posted a message on where this thread was last located, in the local groups:
The "Local Groups" board really is for porcs outside of NH to meet up.  Any NH-related groups should be formed in the NH area of the forum.

She is right, the local Groups forum is dedicated to " Meeting with other FSP members in your area " and since New Hampshire residents are not technically FSP members, friends only,even if fellow activists, this is best.

I really like the region idea, but I'll let these groups start on their own, I just leave this as an idea to think about.

. . .the foundations of our national policy should be laid in private morality. If individuals be not influenced by moral principles, it is in vain to look for public virtue --The U.S. Senate's reply to George Washington's first inaugural address

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2003, 02:32:20 pm »

I really like the region idea, but I'll let these groups start on their own, I just leave this as an idea to think about.

Is this "making connections" section the correct area of the forum to start such groups? Or might it be better to put them in the "current NH residents"section? After all, people who don't live in NH yet might want to ask questions about specific areas...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2003, 02:35:31 pm by libertarian40 »

Joe

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2003, 03:07:13 pm »

In the Research Section I've considered starting a separate thread for each county.  Maybe different people or "research groups" could take on each county (or region, though counties may be better from a political standpoint).

I've already accumulated some info on Coos county and could start a thread on that one.  It would be great if local residents in Coos county could add to the collection of information.

The above is more research-based and not so much of a "local group" for "getting together".

What do you all think?

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2003, 01:24:08 am »

Based on what I'm hearing so far my instinct still favors the county approach.  Less ambiguous than a region approach.  

But I'll tend to defer to what existing residents think on this.
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2003, 07:13:13 am »

since New Hampshire residents are not technically FSP members, friends only,even if fellow activists, this is best.

Since when are New Hampshire residents not FSP members? As long as they didn't opt out of all other states when they signed up I thought they were members just as much as anyone else is.... Also, what about people who are "early adopters" and move here before we hit 20,000? Are these people removed from the membership rolls after moving? If so, it will make it that much harder to reach 20,000.  ???

Kelton Baker

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • Freedom is Free, it's tyranny that costs us dearly
    • Kelton Baker
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2003, 12:22:56 pm »

since New Hampshire residents are not technically FSP members, friends only,even if fellow activists, this is best.

Since when are New Hampshire residents not FSP members? As long as they didn't opt out of all other states when they signed up I thought they were members just as much as anyone else is.... Also, what about people who are "early adopters" and move here before we hit 20,000? Are these people removed from the membership rolls after moving? If so, it will make it that much harder to reach 20,000.  ???

To answer one of your questions, the removal of New Hampshire residents is just a one-time thing.  I do recognize a potential problem if people move-in then sign-up with a NH address, their membership would not count towards the total, but the likelyhood of that happening is very low.

The project is based upon the idea of getting 20,000 activists over and above what already exist in a state to be able to theoretically influence political change, so it is not useful to count current activists.

You indirectly addressed another issue, and that is the validity of the Statement of Intent for NH residents.  Obviously, they did declare a statement to work to " exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of civil government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."  The agreement is still valid, you just don't have to move, and to stay consistent with the mandate of the project, we just don't count them in the total membership count.  
Give me some men who are stout-hearted men Who will fight for the right they adore. Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men And I'll soon give you ten thousand more...--O. Hammerstein

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2003, 08:26:12 pm »

I like the county idea. It's simple.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2003, 11:14:15 pm »

To answer one of your questions, the removal of New Hampshire residents is just a one-time thing.  I do recognize a potential problem if people move-in then sign-up with a NH address, their membership would not count towards the total, but the likelyhood of that happening is very low.

Kelton, I think you're mistaken.  AFTER the vote, NH residents who sign up are necessarily Friends, not members.  But anyone who lives in NH, didn't nono-opt, and signed up BEFORE the vote gets to remain a member.  Unless the BOD changed the rules after I left, which I would be surprised about.  Perhaps a BOD member can clear this up.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2003, 10:22:40 am »

You're correct, Elizabeth.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up