Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FSP NH Website/Wiki?  (Read 4677 times)

seva

• Eryvtvba vf ohax
FSP NH Website/Wiki?
« on: October 14, 2003, 05:15:39 am »

It would be nice if the FSP related information about NH was to be collected in a single location, so I have setup a Wiki (a web site that can be edited by anyone), it's located here:

Unofficial FSP NH Wiki

Wiki's don't generally work out, because there are not enough people interested, but perhaps this would work.. Give it a try?

Simply go to the web site above, and if you have any additions/corrections to the page, click edit at the bottom.  Some of the links are empy, feel free to fill them out.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
Re:FSP NH Website/Wiki?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 01:07:01 pm »

We already have two going up:

freestatenh.com

and

nhvoters.org
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

glen

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2003, 01:46:21 pm »

Great Idea!

Do you mind if I include links to the Open Directory Project? If so, I will go back and remove them.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2003, 02:52:50 pm by glen »

seva

• Eryvtvba vf ohax
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2003, 03:00:04 pm »

We already have two going up:

freestatenh.com

and

nhvoters.org

You should include links to them ;)  It's a bit different though, this is editable by anyone, rather then a published page.

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2003, 04:40:19 pm »

I think wikis rock, and would be perfect for this application, and should be part of the official FSP website.

However, Matt Cheselka has disdained the suggestion of using wikis in the past.  

Perhaps Jim Maynard, who will be running the NH part of the website, will be open to it -- I think it's a brilliant suggestion.  You should email Jim!  :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2003, 04:42:08 pm by Elizabeth »

seva

• Eryvtvba vf ohax
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2003, 06:28:13 pm »

Do you mind if I include links to the Open Directory Project? If so, I will go back and remove them.

No, I don't mind at all, thanks.

seva

• Eryvtvba vf ohax
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2003, 06:29:24 pm »

I think wikis rock, and would be perfect for this application, and should be part of the official FSP website.

However, Matt Cheselka has disdained the suggestion of using wikis in the past.  

Perhaps Jim Maynard, who will be running the NH part of the website, will be open to it -- I think it's a brilliant suggestion.  You should email Jim!  :)

I'll drop him a note, I wonder if I should wait until people actually show interest or lack thereof in the wiki before contacting Jim?

jgilyeat

• FSP Participant
  • Boo!
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2003, 02:47:51 pm »

I'm in the camp that really doesn't see the point to the whole wiki thing outside of a small, access controlled environment, and used strictly as a collaborative tool.
Using wiki as a content management tool is a -really- crappy idea, and there are much better tools to use for discussions (like this messageboard).

So, count me in the -extremely- un-impressed with wiki people.

FWIW: I -do- run a wiki for internal use at work.  It's -very- rarely used, and I've been very underwhelmed.

-
J

Joe

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2003, 07:51:42 pm »

I'm in the camp that really doesn't see the point to the whole wiki thing outside of a small, access controlled environment, and used strictly as a collaborative tool.
Using wiki as a content management tool is a -really- crappy idea, and there are much better tools to use for discussions (like this messageboard).

A small, access controlled environment is exactly what is needed for a collaborative project rather than bull sessions and senseless baiting arguments.  The latter nearly destroyed the usefulness of these FSP forums as a resource and networking medium for a serious project rather than philosophy debates.

"Access controlled" is crucial.
Letting anyone edit a page is not a good idea.
But allowing "authorized" collaboraters to edit is a good idea.

Seva added some of my NH posts to a test page.
The tables look much better than on this slow FSP forum.

SteveA

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2003, 08:53:14 pm »

I agree the official sites should have limited access but this Wiki doesn't have to be an "official" site.  I think it's a great idea to allow individual members a way to represent themselves in a form other than the forums here.

Areas that turn out nicely on the Wiki, could be copied into an official site and save the official website moderators/maintainers some work.

(I already threw up a Thomas Jefferson fortune cookie there :))  Fun

It might degrade into chaos, or need backing up on occasion but it seems like a great idea to me.
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."

seva

• Eryvtvba vf ohax
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2003, 04:42:06 am »

Areas that turn out nicely on the Wiki, could be copied into an official site and save the official website moderators/maintainers some work.

That's a good point, other then that there is really no point in arguing whether the Wiki is a good idea or not ;)  if people like it they will use it and it will be obvious it's a good idea, otherwise no one will use it and it won't matter that it's a bad idea ;)

It might degrade into chaos, or need backing up on occasion but it seems like a great idea to me.

Every change is logged and can be backed out easily.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2003, 04:47:56 am by seva »

SteveA

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2004, 03:33:33 am »

I'm not sure whether or not there's a link to this site on the main FSP site but it seems like it's worth adding.  I looked around the main site and couldn't find a link to it.

(Yes, this was a shameless bump of the thread ;))
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."
Pages: [1]   Go Up