Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Franco-American Community in NH  (Read 6001 times)

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
Re:Franco-American Community in NH
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2003, 12:45:52 pm »

I went to NH over Thanksgiving weekend and attempted to answer my own questions.  For those who are interested...

• I didn't hear French spoken a single time
You won't, in public. Most french families reserve it for in home conversation. Most french people have been here for so long that they came here long before the 'diversity' thing was considered respectable. "The melting pot" was the rule back then, you assimilated in order to get ahead.

I would expect that french would be more commonly spoken in Berlin these days.

When hunting at deer camp, some of the guys witha camp up the road are of french descent and live in Berlin or are from Berlin. They will commonly use french on the CB while hunting to keep other hunters unaware of what success they are having...

• There is a French-language TV channel in Manchester.  It was 6, I believe.  I don't know if that's cable or broadcast.
  • forgot to check for French-language radio stations...d'oh!
In the northern areas you can receive Quebecois radio stations easily. As a kid I used to listen on a crystal set I built for french stations to practice some french I had learned at school.

French cuisine in my experience, at least in this area, is reserved to a few restaurants, like the Home Hill Inn, for example.
http://www.homehillinn.com/restaurant.html
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 12:47:58 pm by Mike Lorrey »
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

Friday Jones

Re:Franco-American Community in NH
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2003, 08:06:48 pm »

Thanks for the info, Mike!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up