Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seacoast commute times  (Read 1879 times)

JackMan

Seacoast commute times
« on: June 21, 2005, 12:16:23 pm »

Is there anyone commuting from the seacoast region to Manchester or Concord and could give me an idea of how the commute is?  I'm considering Durham and the surrounding towns in particular.  Mapquest puts driving times at 48 and 50 minutes respectively.  Reliable?  I assume commutes to Boston are as easy as possible thanks to the train, which having worked in Boston in the past is definitely how I'd travel.

freedomroad

Re: Seacoast commute times
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 12:36:16 pm »

Is there anyone commuting from the seacoast region to Manchester or Concord and could give me an idea of how the commute is?  I'm considering Durham and the surrounding towns in particular.  Mapquest puts driving times at 48 and 50 minutes respectively.  Reliable?  I assume commutes to Boston are as easy as possible thanks to the train, which having worked in Boston in the past is definitely how I'd travel.

Why would you commute from Durham to Concord or Manchester?  Durham is expensive and has high taxes.  It would be much cheaper to live in Concord or Manchester.  Oh, and Rochester, Dover, Portsmouth, and Exeter are closer, as far as jobs are concerned.  I really cannot answer your question though, sorry.

JackMan

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 06:55:44 pm »

My thinking is that we have a better chance of lowering taxes in Durham than we do of moving Manchester closer to the sea, unless global warming is worse than even the environmentalists claim.  My primary hobbies are motorcycling, sailing, and performance tuning my car.  I also like college sports and college towns, since they usually have better internet options and tend to be more receptive to independently owned businesses.  Finally, I have a good job lined up in Boston, and I want a non-driving commute (the monthly cost of parking in Boston is higher than the monthly payments on the auto lease I just got out of).  Durham has a train to Boston.  So on paper, Durham is the best overall nexus with my criteria in mind.  We'll work on its political warts later.

That said, I've never actually been to Durham, and am also considering Dover, Exeter, and everything in between.  Hoping to do my scouting trip this weekend.  The one thing I won't be able to get a sense for is the inland commute.  Like I said, I'm lined up to work in Boston, but obviously I'd like to move my operation entirely to NH if an equivalent opportunity arises, and Manchester would be the next most likely place for me to find that opportunity.

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 11:08:25 pm »

That said, I've never actually been to Durham, and am also considering Dover, Exeter, and everything in between.  Hoping to do my scouting trip this weekend.  The one thing I won't be able to get a sense for is the inland commute.  Like I said, I'm lined up to work in Boston, but obviously I'd like to move my operation entirely to NH if an equivalent opportunity arises, and Manchester would be the next most likely place for me to find that opportunity.

Exeter has similar housing prices to Durham but lower taxes.  Dover is much less expensive and has lower taxes then either town.  If you are just looking at taxes and housing costs, Dover is good.  Here are three places with loads of info you should check out.  Compare the three towns.

http://freestateproject.org/community/nhtowns.php
http://www.nhes.state.nh.us/elmi/communpro.htm
http://www.city-data.com/city/New-Hampshire.html

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 09:59:50 am »

Hi JackMan,

Great to hear you will be visiting the Seacoast region, and better yet to hear you are considering joining us.  We have already begun to work towards less intrusive government here, and could sure use your help.

Unfortunately I'll be in Manchester helping with the M&G we are co-sponsoring (NHLA) re the Freedom Summit, and back again Saturday for the Merrimack meeting, then helping some folks get moved into Concord.

I'm in Dover, and have been since February 2, 2004.  If you are still around on Sunday, I'd be happy to show you around a bit.  Please feel free to contact me at davemincin@hotmail.com or give me a call at 603 391 3422.

For future reference I would suggest you checkout the Welcome Wagon off the FSP main page.  Please feel free to contact Margot or any of the other area reps.  It's a great way to get plugged into some of the folks while you are visiting.

Regards,
Dave Mincin

BTW you can get to Manchester-Concord in less than an hour from anywhere in the Region, real time!
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!
Pages: [1]   Go Up