Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Montessori Schools in NH  (Read 12886 times)

Wayne Anderson

• FSP Participant
    • Free State Objectivists
Re:Montessori Schools in NH
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2004, 02:33:59 pm »

I'd like to introduce myself to FSP enthusiasts who happen to be looking for Montessori schools. My name is Wayne Anderson and my wife and I have been FSP members for a couple of years. We are also the owners of Pathfinder Academy in Epsom, NH, a Montessori school 10 minutes east of Concord. I sent a detailed email to the FSP member in charge of the FSP website months ago detailing our school. Apparently the email was lost because the info never surfaced on the website.

For anyone interested, you can find out about us at www.pathfinderacademy.net.

I've also recently started an Objectivist discussion group called Free State Objectivists. The website for the discussion group (which I've only just started) will contain information about upcoming meetings. The URL is www.galtfans.com.

I will make another attempt to have this info available on the FSP site.

"You have a problem with authority, Mr. Anderson. You believe that you are special, that somehow the rules do not apply to you."
-Mr. Rhineheart, The Matrix

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2004, 06:24:41 pm »

Hi Wayne! I knew about you.

;)

<Patrick>

• FSP Participant
  • Radical Capitalist
    • Ayn Rand Institute
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2004, 06:52:27 pm »

I'd like to introduce myself to FSP enthusiasts who happen to be looking for Montessori schools. My name is Wayne Anderson and my wife and I have been FSP members for a couple of years. We are also the owners of Pathfinder Academy in Epsom, NH, a Montessori school 10 minutes east of Concord. I sent a detailed email to the FSP member in charge of the FSP website months ago detailing our school. Apparently the email was lost because the info never surfaced on the website.

For anyone interested, you can find out about us at www.pathfinderacademy.net.

I've also recently started an Objectivist discussion group called Free State Objectivists. The website for the discussion group (which I've only just started) will contain information about upcoming meetings. The URL is www.galtfans.com.

I will make another attempt to have this info available on the FSP site.

Welcome Wayne!  :)
"I came here to say that I do not recognize anyone’s right to one minute of my life.  Nor to any part of my energy.  Nor to any achievement of mine… I wished to come here and say that I am a man who does not exist for others."
-Ayn Rand
http://www.aynrand.org
http://capitalism.org

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2004, 04:17:20 pm »

Frankly, I'm suspisious of Benson's "school choice."

He's going about it with the use of Vouchers for one thing -- which typically invites MORE regulation into private schools -- not less.

Tracy
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

Dawn

• FSP Participant
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2004, 06:54:00 pm »

This school looks great!

One general question I have about Montessori - why don't they offer high school? Are there any similar schools for high school aged students in NH?

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2004, 11:48:47 pm »

Yeah, while I respect homeschooling, I don't have the skillz to pull it off myself, so I think we're going to use the Montessouri school system.

Margot Keyes (SUNSHINE)

• Greeter Coordinator
  • FSP Participant
  • Mama of a prickle of four porcupine pups
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2004, 11:13:15 pm »

:DHooray!!! I am so glad to read this thread and hear about Montessori schools in NH.  My four daughters WILL be attending Montessori schools once we get there and where we move to is a direct result of what schools we can find.

Right now my older two attend private children's houses and next year we are shucking out a cool $6000+ for  our first grader to attend a private Montessori elementary about 25 minutes away.

A reason that Montessori school aren't common for upper grades is that Dr. Maria Montessori started the program back in Italy in the late 1800's for very young children and the movement is still young in the USA.  The school my girls will attend has an "adolesent community" which is junior high and it is one of the only ones in the state of MN.  Montessori's superior educational method is still largely unknown to many people in this country and it takes much more effort to learn about it and discover its benefits than to simply toss your kids into the public schools.

Perhaps once more of us are in NH, we will see more changes in not only the Homeschooling laws for those brave folks doing that process, but also more Montessori schools and higher levels to offer a better education for those parents like us who want the best for their children.  We are not only willing to move across country for them, maybe we will be willing to start more schools like Montessori or more homeschooling consortiums and such.  Those are some of my goals for sure!

Thanks again everyone!
Margot
Any alleged 'right' of one man, which necessitates the violation of the rights of another, is not and cannot be a right.
-- Ayn Rand

Dawn

• FSP Participant
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2004, 10:59:38 pm »

Yeah, while I respect homeschooling, I don't have the skillz to pull it off myself, so I think we're going to use the Montessouri school system.

I disagree with you here - you most certainly do have the skills to homeschool your own children. You are an intelligent, well-spoken, interesting person who will introduce your children to many things as a direct result of who you are. Don't sell yourself short!

A common misconception about homeschooling is that it demands that you take the public school method and replicate it in your own home. No thanks to that one! But, some people do that (you can buy curriculums) or make up their own (eclectic) or let their child's interests lead the way (unschooling). There is no right or wrong way to homeschool, only the way that is best for you and your unique family.

Ogre11

• FSP Participant
  • Ok, I'm in. Ready to move yet?
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2004, 12:04:36 pm »

I'm still trying to figure these things out, so please forgive my ignorance in terms.  When people speak of Montessori schooling, I image what I've heard, which is that the children determine what is to be learned.  How correct is that?  I can't imagine that's what it really means, as the inmates would be running the asylum, and who would actually choose to learn about mathematical derivatives?  At the same time, giving total latitude to children to learn sometimes seems like a good thing, but sometimes seems very poor -- how could a child "choose" what to learn if they don't know what is out there?

jeanius

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2004, 02:47:26 pm »

Particularly since I was schooled by a public school system this did not come naturally to me either.

It has several names and applications ... unschooling, self-directed learning, etc.  Children learn an amazing amount if you can provide them a rich environment of materials.  Yes, even math is interesting to them.   I think much of the perception of children disliking subjects comes from the way such subjects are "taught".

Jean

Bruce_Morgan

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a Porcupine!
    • DevTech Services
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2004, 01:41:39 am »

Our son is in a Montessori school, and my daughter will be starting next Tuesday.  Daddy is having trouble anticipating not having my little girl home with me all day.   :'(

The kids don't run roughshod over the teachers or the other students there.  They are, however, given a broad range of activities to choose from and are encouraged to push their limits.  The teachers are there to help and encourage each individual, and to .  There are 15 students in Gabriel's class, lead by one teacher and an assistant.  Plus, in order to keep our costs down, the school relies heavily on parent involvement for all kinds of things.  It's been a great experience, and they've really built on the foundation we built with Gabriel's homeschooling.

His teacher was actually the one who talked us out of moving to New Hampshire next month, and instead to wait until May so that he will have a whole year.  We're having a heck of a time finding a school in northern New Hampshire that goes beyond early childhood, but the Free Town Project town of Grafton is reasonably close to Rumney, where the Bodhi Tree School is.  It came highly recommended by a lady in Conway who does Montessori "consulting" for homeschoolers.

Sorry for the stream-of-thought ramblings, but I didn't want the thoughts to get away and I'm too tired to put style on it.

Margot Keyes (SUNSHINE)

• Greeter Coordinator
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2004, 12:07:16 am »

:)Bruce - thanks for your thoughts and you are right on the money with the description of Montessori.  Students are provided with a well-structured environment with a vast array of particular materials (NOT toys) and are guided not instructed by teachers and aides.  Think of how much a child learns in the summer by simply experimenting by himself, losing himself in the outside world, spending time talking with grandparents, others , etc. Self-direction is a powerful tool in now only learning, but retaining that knowledge because the child took it upon themselves to CHOOSE to learn it.  I look forward to meetin you and others in NH - you never know, our kiddos might be enjoying the same Montessori school someday!

Cheers!
Margot
Any alleged 'right' of one man, which necessitates the violation of the rights of another, is not and cannot be a right.
-- Ayn Rand

Wayne Anderson

• FSP Participant
    • Free State Objectivists
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2004, 01:15:36 pm »

Pathfinder Academy has an Open House scheduled for March 25th from 6:30 to 8:00 pm. Any Free Staters interested in stopping by are certainly welcome. Directions can be found on our website at www.pathfinderacademy.net/driving_directions.htm.
"You have a problem with authority, Mr. Anderson. You believe that you are special, that somehow the rules do not apply to you."
-Mr. Rhineheart, The Matrix

Margot Keyes (SUNSHINE)

• Greeter Coordinator
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2004, 04:15:03 pm »

Wayne - I wish we could be there for the open house...too long of a drive from MN!  But we hope to at least stop by when we come out in June for the Porc Fest!!

Happy ACTIVE Days all!
Margot
-- Ayn Rand
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up