Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apartment spaces!  (Read 3247 times)

Scott ISMP

• Founder of ISM Project!
Apartment spaces!
« on: October 06, 2003, 06:50:11 pm »

Me and 9 others are thinking of buying apartment building.  We are not sure of yhet if this will happen.  I am going to be going to a meeting later tonight to finish the details (today October 6, 5:50 pm)

If the apartment building does get bought buy us we will have a special deal for all FSP members!  All FSP members can rent apartments for 350 for single bed room, 500 for double bed room.

The more interest I get from this thread will make my choice easier.
ISM Project

Reaper

• FSP Participant
  • Atheism cures religious terrorism!
    • The Reaper's Den
Re:Apartment spaces!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 06:57:46 pm »

Would be nice but I could not live in an apartment.

I have a molloucan cockatoo, the loudest of all domestically kept birds.  Gotta have space for that much noise.
Reaper
Proud member of the FSP's lunatic fringe!

"If we turn from battle because there is little hope of victory, where then would valor be?  Let it ever be the goal that stirs us, not the odds."

JT

• FSP Participant
  • How can someone else know what's best for you???
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2003, 07:51:26 pm »

Count me in .  350/month would be excellent.  It's hard to find a place like that here in Kansas City where we have a low cost of living.  You should have no problem finding tenants if rent is that cheap.  What town/city/village are you looking at?

TheOmni

• I'm so excited, I just can't hide it.
    • The Omni Show
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2003, 08:06:18 pm »

That would be perfect for me, but I don't plan on moving for another 2-4 years because of previous college related commitments.  If you do go ahead and obtain the building I'll be sure to look it up first when I plan on moving.

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2003, 08:26:18 pm »

Do you have the capital raised?   :o

GO FOR IT SCOTT!

MoonChaser

• FSP Participant
  • I Climbed Mt. Liberty!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2003, 05:01:55 am »

I'll take a single-bedroom...  

8) 8) 8)
"Paradise, can it be all I heard it was
I close my eyes and maybe I'm already there"
(Quote from "Blue Collar Man" by Styx)

Dalamar49

• FSP Participant
  • I smoked out the sheriff and his deputy! : )
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2003, 09:56:50 am »

Where's this apartment complex going to be located?

If its near a place where I can find a job, count me in!

Wow, 350 for a one bedroom! You're going to have a line out the door for those apartments, that's way below market value.
Get up, stand up, stand up for your right. Don't give up the fight.

FSPTalker

• FSP Member
  • FSP Participant
  • Home at last!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2003, 01:52:07 pm »

I would be interested in a two bedroom. I'm planning to move by the end of this year. However, I also have a special need; a space to keep 5 ferrets that are part of a "ferret rescue" operation I've been running for several years. Would these pets be a problem?
There is no try. Do or do not-YODA

LeopardPM

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2003, 02:09:37 am »

Scott,
assuming everything goes well with your partners in raising capital etc...

An apartment complex specifically for FSPers would be great, but think of it as more of a temporary launching point for many folks.  They need to get into NH and look around, get a feel, and need to preserve their capital while doing so... 1-2 BDRM apartments will have a higher turnover rate (not a problem since FSPers are your target market1) and will not usually be then 'end residence' for most folks...

1 re: FSPers and high turnover - there will be a steady inflow of FSPers every month with possible seasonal variations (higher in summer usually).  These FSPers will need temperary housing for probably 3-6 months while they get aquainted.  An ideal location for this apartment complex would be in or close to one of the major population centers.
nothing to say...

erik

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2003, 03:13:19 pm »

er er er um um um is this going to be near any of the major universities?  

it's just that my educational needs come first, otherwise I'd be down right away.

If it is...then I would definitely appreciate a chance to be a part of that building.

EDIT- To FSPTalker -- That is the most awesome thing I've heard on this forum, save the ferrets.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2003, 03:15:46 pm by erik »

Bruce_Morgan

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a Porcupine!
    • DevTech Services
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2003, 11:28:58 am »

1 re: FSPers and high turnover - there will be a steady inflow of FSPers every month with possible seasonal variations (higher in summer usually).  These FSPers will need temperary housing for probably 3-6 months while they get aquainted.  An ideal location for this apartment complex would be in or close to one of the major population centers.

How does one prove one's "Porcupine purity?"  Wouldn't opportunities like this encourage fairweather Porcupines to sign up just to get the cheap rent?  

This is an interesting concept, but doesn't seem like a very sound business plan.  With rental rates that low, where is the money to pay for expenses, like the mortgage and repairs?

3 to 6 months is not unheard of when negotiating lease terms for 1 or 2 bedroom modules, so that part is doable.  3 months is a tad short, though, when you consider the inevitable turn-around time for make-ready and the lag in getting the new tenant in.  That means you'll lose about a week and a half of rent every 3 months instead of every 6 or 12.  Smaller units are typically less susceptible to damage for a variety of reasons, though, particularly if the management limits occupancy to a rational level (no 5 member families living in a one bedroom unit, for example.)  Meanwhile, the mortgage payments continue.

Remember:  Take your optimistic expectation and combine it with your most pessimistic expectation for vacancies and expenses.  The reality will lie right about in the middle between the two.  ;)

Bruce

P. S.  Scott, I thought you were gung ho for one of those other anti-FSP/anti-New Hampshire groups?  What gives?

Aderiaj

Re: Apartment spaces!
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2005, 10:17:06 pm »

a one bdrom apt for 350
i will have to see it to believe it!

count me in :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up