Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My reply to Brattleboro Reformer article  (Read 3425 times)

mvpel

• FSP Participant
    • Aidoann
My reply to Brattleboro Reformer article
« on: October 06, 2003, 05:01:03 pm »

As I was heading home from a New Hampshire house-hunting trip last Thursday, I picked up a copy of the Brattleboro Reformer, in Brattleboro, Vermont.  They had a front-page AP article on the annoucement of the FSP choice.  Here's the letter I wrote to their editor:

In the article published Thursday October 2, I found:

"Concord lawyer Dennis Pizzimenti, 56, said he is an independent with libertarian sympathies.  But he said there are limits.

"'I like to be left alone by the government.  But I need my trash picked up. I need police protection," he said."

-------------

Dennis Pizzimenti repeats an common misunderstanding of libertarian principles when he thinks his trash won't be picked up.

What he and many others don't realize is that they're stuck in a government-oriented mental rut (thanks to decades of government school indoctrination) that leads them to think that just because the government currently does a certain thing, it means that only the government can do it.

That kind of thinking is precisely what propels the ever-expanding power and scope of government that is destroying our freedom, and is what the Free State Project is dedicated to fixing.

Four alternatives to government-run trash collection spring immediately to mind - BFI (a division of Allied Waste Industries), Waste Management, Inc., your neighbor "Farmer Jones" and his pickup truck, or your own vehicle and time.

Libertarians believe that if you want to use one of these other options, that the government should not force you - through tax collections enforced by gun-toting police officers and the wealth-destroying court and prison system - to also pay for a typical crony-infested graft machine known as the Municipal Department of Waste Disposal.

As for police protection - all US states' laws specify that police are not required to provide protection to any particular individual, nor are they liable for failure to protect a crime victim.

The main role of the police is to show up after the crime has already been committed and try to identify the victim and catch and prosecute the perpetrator, not to act as personal bodyguards for each citizen.

[For legal references, see "Dial 911 and Die!" by attorney Richard W. Stevens. - http://www.jpfo.org/dial911anddie.htm ]

Each of us, alone, is personally responsible for our own self-defense and the defense of our families from criminal attackers, and this right and responsibility cannot be delegated.

In fact, Vermont's lack of laws infringing upon the individual right to armed self-defense was one of the criteria that put it on the list of Free State candidates.

I hope this letter clarifies some of the public's  misconceptions about the goals of the Free State Project and libertarianism in general.

Sincerely,

Michael Pelletier.
Free State Project Member,
Temporary California Resident,
Future New Hampshire Resident
New Hampshire Notary Public - Merrimack Valley Area - Silver Accepted

Vl4d

• Karate chopping Authoritarians since day one.
Re:My reply to Brattleboro Reformer article
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2003, 04:36:59 pm »

Well done Michael.
There are always two parties; the establishment and the movement.

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2003, 06:02:05 pm »

Well written (and thanks for writing it), but I do have a suggestion

You wrote:

<<That kind of thinking is precisely what propels the ever-expanding power and scope of government that is destroying our freedom, and is what the Free State Project is dedicated to fixing.>>

I'm not sure that "fixing thinking" is what we want to be known for.   Another way to put it might have been:

"That kind of mythology is precisely what propels the ever-expanding power and scope of government that is destroying our freedom, and is what the Free State Project is dedicated to dispelling."

Nevertheless...I hope you'll keep those letters flying.  What I sometimes do, when I write a LTE (time permitting), is to post a draft here on the boards and let people hammer it for a day or two.

Then I embrace or reject their suggestions and send it.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2003, 06:02:40 pm by Dada Orwell »
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

LeopardPM

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2003, 04:02:43 am »

yes, very good...

of course... slight critism... I have this problem too of making sweeping generalizations when it comes to 'statist' thinking.... eg:

they're stuck in a government-oriented mental rut (thanks to decades of government school indoctrination)

this is basically an attack on every ordinary citizen out there... we know its true... but slapping people in the face with truth won't get people to listen or encourage them to understand....

so, my suggestion is to leave out the 'prostetizing'<sp> and stick to you identifiable points...

good work tho!  Any letter is a good letter in my book.... probably got more than opne person to investigate further lib ideas/fsp

michael
nothing to say...
Pages: [1]   Go Up