Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What about, say, the FAA?  (Read 6231 times)

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
Re:What about, say, the FAA?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2003, 03:40:25 am »

Several countries have already privatized their air-traffic control. In fact our air traffic control used to be private untill recently. Private systems have figured out ways to regulate all sorts of things. Their's no reason why private systems can't regulate air traffic control either.

One good thing that Bush has done (In fact the only thing in my mind) is repeal Clinton's executive order making air traffic control a federal business.

In New Zealand they privatized their air traffic control a long time ago, and it's cheeper, noncoersive, and works better, then the government system they used to have.

The only Federal agency that has any constitutional jurisdiction at all, is the FBI (and it's to big, and gustapo-like as far as I'm concerned). All the rest need to simply be thrown out.

The private sector eventually standardizes systems on it's own. Many times they aren't always the very best system. Many times they are the 2nd best, or 3rd best system. You'll never have utopia. (VHS vs Beta, Microsoft vs Linex, that sort of thing) But regardless, even though the invisible hand isn't perfect, it's still WAY way better, and more efficient,  then when government bureaucracies try to do it.

Tracy Saboe
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

LeopardPM

• FSP Participant
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2003, 01:05:25 pm »

exactly, Tracy - the point is, even though Beta lost out to VHS (due to marketing) and was still 'technically' better, it was VHS that people decided on (yes, this was influenced by advertising etc).  But, if the government stepped in, and proclaimed Beta to be the de facto standard and regulating VHS to failure, we would still be waiting for DVDs to appear.  Yes, for a short while, we would have 'the best', but in the long term growth of the industry would have been stifled.... gimme choice over stagnation...

michael
nothing to say...

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2003, 02:20:44 pm »

Yes thank you Michael. That was my point.

Tracy Saboe
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

Kelton Baker

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • Freedom is Free, it's tyranny that costs us dearly
    • Kelton Baker
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2003, 02:34:57 pm »

I should point out that the FSP will have no impact on or interest in the FAA, since that's federal level, and we're looking at state level.
True, however there are a lot of issues recommended by the FAA [or rulings by other federal agencies] that state and local governments voluntarily comply with simply to receive federal funding or to avoid the headache of trying to be different from the norm, take for instance some of the regulations that the Boise, ID airport has, some of which is inspired by FAA rulings and procedural recommendations:

CITY OF BOISE CODE -- TITLE 12.  AIR TERMINAL
12-01 PURPOSE; TITLE
12-02 SCOPE
12-03 DEFINITIONS
12-04 BOISE AIR TERMINAL DISTRICT
12-05 DESCRIPTION OF ESTABLISHED ZONES
12-06 MAXIMUM HEIGHT LIMITATIONS
12-07 LAND USE LIMITATIONS
12-08 PERMITS
12-09 NON-CONFORMING USES
12-10 SPECIAL USE PERMITS
12-11 ADMINISTRATION AND ENFORCEMENT
12-12 APPEALS AND AMENDMENTS
12-13 NOTICE OF AIRPORT HAZARDS
12-14 NOISE ABATEMENT PROVISIONS
12-15 VALIDITY
12-16 AIR TERMINAL PARKING
12-17 AIRPORT SECURITY PROGRAM
12-18 AIR TERMINAL FACILITIES
12-19 BOISE AIR TERMINAL PARKING PERMIT
12-20 NON-TENANT RENTAL CAR PERMIT
12-21 PASSENGER FACILITY CHARGE

Idaho State Code
http://www3.state.id.us/idstat/TOC/idstTOC.html
Give me some men who are stout-hearted men Who will fight for the right they adore. Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men And I'll soon give you ten thousand more...--O. Hammerstein

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2003, 04:51:21 pm »

I should point out that the FSP will have no impact on or interest in the FAA, since that's federal level, and we're looking at state level.
True, however there are a lot of issues recommended by the FAA [or rulings by other federal agencies] that state and local governments voluntarily comply with simply to receive federal funding or to avoid the headache of trying to be different from the norm, take for instance some of the regulations that the Boise, ID airport has, some of which is inspired by FAA rulings and procedural recommendations:

CITY OF BOISE CODE -- TITLE 12.  AIR TERMINAL
12-01 PURPOSE; TITLE
12-02 SCOPE
12-03 DEFINITIONS
12-04 BOISE AIR TERMINAL DISTRICT
12-05 DESCRIPTION OF ESTABLISHED ZONES
12-06 MAXIMUM HEIGHT LIMITATIONS
12-07 LAND USE LIMITATIONS
12-08 PERMITS
12-09 NON-CONFORMING USES
12-10 SPECIAL USE PERMITS
12-11 ADMINISTRATION AND ENFORCEMENT
12-12 APPEALS AND AMENDMENTS
12-13 NOTICE OF AIRPORT HAZARDS
12-14 NOISE ABATEMENT PROVISIONS
12-15 VALIDITY
12-16 AIR TERMINAL PARKING
12-17 AIRPORT SECURITY PROGRAM
12-18 AIR TERMINAL FACILITIES
12-19 BOISE AIR TERMINAL PARKING PERMIT
12-20 NON-TENANT RENTAL CAR PERMIT
12-21 PASSENGER FACILITY CHARGE

Idaho State Code
http://www3.state.id.us/idstat/TOC/idstTOC.html
Golly bum.                                                            
 You know a  couple of years ago we had a Republican governor here in Tenn called Taxquest because he ran two times against a state income tax then towards the last of his second term he pushed hot and hard for it. The papers where  reporting if we don't get it the local governments will not get" needed" funds and some will have to double the property tax. I said bring it on a let them try at a TNLP state convention, A Republican state house members who came to make a speech looked at me like I was crazy and moved on to other questions. If he had given me a chance I would have explained it to him, that in a large county like Knox where he was from they might get away with doubling the property tax in one year but in the small to medium size counties and town, the politicans who tried would be run out on a rail.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up