Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apartments  (Read 3823 times)

Joey

Apartments
« on: October 05, 2003, 01:53:33 pm »

Much has been said about land and homes, but what about apartments?

Does anyone have any idea how much apartment rents go for, or if there are apartments at all?

I haven't heard much about the apartment-dwellers, so I was just curious.

It's about $440 a month, on average, for a one-bedroom apartment north of Dallas, near the university I want to attend.

To me, that's quite expensive, but um, $440 divided by three people...eh, you guys do the math, but that wouldn't be so bad.

FSP College Students in Manchester doin the apartment thing - I could see it :)

jgilyeat

• FSP Participant
  • Boo!
Re:Apartments
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2003, 07:05:20 pm »

http://www.rent.net
:)

As for specific areas (note that I'm doing searches based on -college- at rent.net: ie. PSU and NHU, specifically, there ain't -jack- out by Dartmouth):

Plymouth, NH (PSU):
Three listings for Apartments near PSU.  Guess what?  They're all under $600/mo for a studios, and under 700 for 1br.  One of them has 3br units under $900 (Lakeshore Estates).  That's some $200/mo (or so) -less- than I paid for a 2+den in Windsor Mill, MD.  The other two (Keewaydin Pines and Webster Heights) offer up to 2br, and neither have rents over 650/mo for the 2br units.

Durham, NH (UNH):
Four listings that are near UNH, and there a bit more expensive than in Plymouth, but not really that bad, either, IMO.  I'll be honest, though, $900/mo for a thousand square foot condo, 2br condo ain't bad.  It's 200/mo less than I paid for my last apartment (before I bought a house) that was 2br/2ba 1050 sq ft in the Baltimore metro area.

Now for a couple of cities in the southern tier: Nashua and Manchester:

Nashua:
Mixed bag, what with there being 9 communities.  We've got a couple at the high end (Studio at 900/mo!?!?) a few in the middle, and a couple at the (relative) low end.  1br in Nashua is going to cost you between 750 and 900/mo.  I'd stick with Durham or Plymouth for that size apartment, to be honest.  There's more parity for the larger apartments, with London Court and Forest Ridge,  doing $900/mo for a 2br, the other 7 between 950 and 1100 for 2br, and one of them, Riverview Gardens, renting out 1100 sq ft 3 br townhomes for 1175.  Three people in one of those gets you down to $400/mo, ea.  *shrug*

Manchester:
18 listings found by rent.net, but only 11 have any info listed.  The rents for the other 7 go as low as 345/mo for a studio, but I can't really give any sort of analysis of any of them.  As for the rest, we have several in the sub 700/mo range for studio/1br, and some more "posh" establishments that start at almost $1000/mo for 1br.  YMMV, but $930/mo for a 2br with free hot water and heat (Woodedge Estates) is something to consider in a roommate situation.  Some of the others pay all water, gas, and even electric.  Hey, 835 a mo for a 2br, and my only "utility" bills are cable, internet and the phone?  Count me in (if I weren't looking to buy, of course).

And finally, the state capitol city of Concord:
Pricing is lower than Manchester, on average, but that's mostly because we don't have all the luxury apartments to deal with.  Rents start as low at the upper-mid 500's (ie, 575), and 2br units are easily availble for between 750 and 900, with a high end of just over 960.  Same utility rules apply as before.

So, to wit: rents aren't -that- high, unless you're accustomed to renting 1200 sq foot, 3 br apartments for 600/mo.  That's just nutty, but then I've been surrounded by 600 sq foot 1br apartments running 700-900/mo the last 15 years :)  I'd strongly recommend that for the -single- Porcupines moving east (or North, or wherever) that aren't accustomed to rents this "high" should probably start off in a roommate situation, and then decide how to progress from there.

Again, that's -JUST- apartment complexes/communities, although some homes -may- have snuck in.  Homes are more often put up for lease by their respective owners, so the listings are more likely to be found in the local paper, or on a sign stuck to signposts in the respective neighborhood/town.  I didn't do any searches for homes/rooms for rent/lease.  I can spend another hour or two running that research of someone really wants me to...
-
J.

Joey

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2003, 07:41:11 pm »

Hmm, well, like I said, I think the roomate thing would work best.

Several FSP college students ...now we're talkin. It'd be kinda weird living with all guys though, so maybe if a chic were thrown in, it wouldn't be so bad.

But shoot, those rents are high as a mofug. Considering that this school board race - and the three-year term after it - will take up most of my time, I think it'd be best if I could move AFTER three years.

So in three years I'd like to pack up and move in with a new batch of FSP friends :)

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2003, 07:59:53 pm »

I live in Massachusetts, and generally rent.net only has higher end apartments in complexes.  You'd be missing out on the multi-family homes people rent out, and smaller apartment buildings, which should run for less money.

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2003, 06:45:21 am »

Joey, unless you have plans on running for govenor of California I'd go easy on the "chica" language.  ;)

Dalamar49

• FSP Participant
  • I smoked out the sheriff and his deputy! : )
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2003, 08:47:54 am »

How soon are you moving to NH, Joey?

I should be moving there in the spring of 2005....I think. Maybe we can live together.

Wow!  :o Apartments are expensive in NH.

But, $440 a month in Dallas seems pretty good. I'm paying $550 for a one bedroom in a rather ghetto neighborhood so by comparison Dallas aint to bad.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2003, 08:50:08 am by Dalamar49 »
Get up, stand up, stand up for your right. Don't give up the fight.

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2003, 06:39:23 pm »

Here are listings for the City of Keene and the Cheshire county area:

http://www1.keenesentinel.com/classifieds/line/default.htm

Dalamar49

• FSP Participant
  • I smoked out the sheriff and his deputy! : )
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2003, 08:31:51 pm »

Oh! I can afford that. Sweet!
Get up, stand up, stand up for your right. Don't give up the fight.

eh838587

• FSP Participant
    • Commodity Brokers International
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 12:17:16 pm »

Does anybody have online links to the classified sections for housing rentals in Lebanon or Plymouth?

Thanks,

Edwina

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 12:31:13 pm »

http://www.rent.net
:)

As for specific areas (note that I'm doing searches based on -college- at rent.net: ie. PSU and NHU, specifically, there ain't -jack- out by Dartmouth):

Dartmouth has a tradition of doing its own thing. They don't call email "email", they call it "blitzmail" because the Keiwit Computer Center at Dartmouth developed an email program called BlitzMail long before the internet was anything.

Likewise, local landlords list through the Dartmouth Real Estate Office: http://www.dartmouthre.com

This site was down mid-day tuesday, but the office manager says it should be up by the end of the day...
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time
Pages: [1]   Go Up