Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New feature  (Read 2793 times)

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
New feature
« on: September 09, 2002, 11:27:52 am »

"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
Re:New feature
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2002, 12:59:48 pm »

It's better than frogs in your underpants, that's for sure.

Very good work, Matt!

mdw

• FSP Participant
  • All men are born free; only some men ever know it.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2002, 07:25:47 pm »

I second the kudos to Matt. I have been able to refer people to this table, and they can work it online as opposed to having to download the Excel spreadsheet (which can be tricky with some overly protective corporate virus scanning s/w).

Perhaps a fuller example of how the +/- point system works with some of the criterion would be useful. For example, the State Comparison spreadsheet ranks states in the gun rights catagory with a positive number for less restrictive gun control. However, I assume in this new feature, one would assign a large negative number is a lack of gun control were a critical issue. Is this correct? There are other catagories where the +/- are not particularly clear, but it does not limit the overall effectiveness of the tool.

[Interesting side note: the new weighting scheme still does not seem to significantly effect the relative state rankings of the canididate states.]

Regards,
mdw
"It is therefore the inhabitants themselves who permit, or, rather, bring about, their own subjection, since by ceasing to submit they would put an end to their servitude."
--Éttiene de la Boétie, 1552

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2002, 10:46:14 pm »

Yeah, you're right - if you like less gun control you should put a negative weight on that variable.  That's why the page noted this was a bit trickier than the spreadsheet, where all scores have been converted into 0-10 rankings.  But this page is certainly quicker than the spreadsheet.

I also found that results from this new page do not differ much from results from the spreadsheet (except that SD now tends to do slightly better than ND, rather than the other way 'round).
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Pages: [1]   Go Up